E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 95K Preventative Maintenance Questions – Plugs, Coil Packs, Walnut Blasting etc

02-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
schmidtp
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2019 Ram 1500  [0.00]
95K Preventative Maintenance Questions – Plugs, Coil Packs, Walnut Blasting etc

Hey everyone,

My car is currently at 95K and once the weather got nicer out I wanted to do a weekend of some maintenance. Here is my list, if you think there is anything else I should consider please let me know

Oil Change
Plugs - Where can I find the best deal on the OEM replacements?
Coil Packs - Is this necessary? I don't mind putting the money in for peace of mind since I will already be under the hood.
Walnut Blasting - I am guessing it has never been done to this car before
Intercooler Cleaning - I wanted to drain and clean out any oil inside
OCC Install

Overall I am wondering where you would recommend buying the plugs and CPs, I did a search but didn't find any answers, and if anyone would consider any other maintenance.

Thanks,

Patrick
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
There are a bunch of different places to get the plugs and coils. Rather than do an exhaustive search to save a couple of dollars I usually just order my oem parts from ECS Tuning (plugs and coils included). They will be fairly close to the cheapest pricing available.

To the rest of your questions.

I don't think that it is worthwhile replacing all the coils if they are still functioning correctly. If you are really worried, buy a spare or two just in case but otherwise I think it is a waste especially if your car is stock (no tune, dps etc).

The rest of it sounds fine. If it has never had a valve cleaning then it definitely needs it and the OCC is cheap insurance although I would recommend the upgraded RB PCV valve as well.

Cleaning out the intercooler is probably a waste of time but won't hurt anything either.

As far as other maintenance goes, there is an "Old School Maintenance" guide that has been floating around for BMWs for a while. You can search that on this site or even google it and probably find a copy for the E90. Along that line there are a lot of other fluids (ps, brake, trans, diff) that could probably use replacing if they have never been done. Also the accessory belt, tensioner and idler pulleys may also need replacement or at least should be considered for preventative maintenance.

Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
schmidtp
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2019 Ram 1500  [0.00]
Thanks for the response gtaccord. I will plan on getting the oil change kit and plugs from ECS.

I just started reading into the RB PCV valve. Is the only way to get them still through Rob@RBTurbo? Is it even worth getting a catch can if I do this?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 08:42 AM   #4
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

Bump. I'm at 100k and want to do these same things.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #5
gtaccord
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtp View Post
Thanks for the response gtaccord. I will plan on getting the oil change kit and plugs from ECS.

I just started reading into the RB PCV valve. Is the only way to get them still through Rob@RBTurbo? Is it even worth getting a catch can if I do this?
I would do both the occ and the upgraded pcv since they noth address the same problem but from different ends. The pcv reduces the amount of oil released into the intake tract and the occ removes most that is already there. Yes you have to get them thru Rob.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 06:32 AM   #6
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Suggested Maint

N54 ~ My suggestions: nearing 100k

1. change (2) Oil Filter HSN gaskets & (2) Oil Cooler O-Rings - if you have
2. With the intake removed in Item #1 - Walnut Blast Intakes
3. Flush Coolant which is part of Item #1 (
4. If Thermo & WP have not been replaced - Hold #3 until complete
5. Replace Valve Cover Gasket & use HondaBond Sealant
6. New Spark Plugs and Coils (Plugs every 45k - Coils 100K)
7. Install RBTURBO PCV Valve and get new BMW Flapper Tube
8. Change oil to all-ester based (Motul/Redline/AMSOIL) this will aid in reducing valve deposits better than OCC - I have BMS OCC but not needed unless you track or drive like hell
9. Replace Serp Belt / Idler Pulleys & Tensioner
10. New Trans / Diff fluid (MLT-3 and Redline)

Well this is my plan -- at 95k now and have done all with the exception of #6. I replaced plugs and MT Fluid at 45k and will do both again this spring & add new coils being they are original. I replaced Diff Fluid last summer with RL 75W-90 and will do every 30k.

Car really runs great & highly suggest for long term ownership.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #7
schmidtp
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2019 Ram 1500  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
N54 ~ My suggestions: nearing 100k

1. change (2) Oil Filter HSN gaskets & (2) Oil Cooler O-Rings - if you have
2. With the intake removed in Item #1 - Walnut Blast Intakes
3. Flush Coolant which is part of Item #1 (
4. If Thermo & WP have not been replaced - Hold #3 until complete
5. Replace Valve Cover Gasket & use HondaBond Sealant
6. New Spark Plugs and Coils (Plugs every 45k - Coils 100K)
7. Install RBTURBO PCV Valve and get new BMW Flapper Tube
8. Change oil to all-ester based (Motul/Redline/AMSOIL) this will aid in reducing valve deposits better than OCC - I have BMS OCC but not needed unless you track or drive like hell
9. Replace Serp Belt / Idler Pulleys & Tensioner
10. New Trans / Diff fluid (MLT-3 and Redline)

Well this is my plan -- at 95k now and have done all with the exception of #6. I replaced plugs and MT Fluid at 45k and will do both again this spring & add new coils being they are original. I replaced Diff Fluid last summer with RL 75W-90 and will do every 30k.

Car really runs great & highly suggest for long term ownership.
Thanks for all the advice!

My plan is this so far. I think I be doing some of this in stages.

While its still a bit cold out, Round 1:

-Oil Change
-OCC Install
-RB PCV Install
-Spark Plugs

Round 2:

-Walnut blasting
-Gaskets and O rings
-Possibly Idler, Belt, and Tensioner

Other random weekend:
-Manual Trans fluid
-Diff Fluid

How does this sound? I am sure I am going to have this car easily close to 130K, if not the lifetime of the car
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaccord View Post
I don't think that it is worthwhile replacing all the coils if they are still functioning correctly. If you are really worried, buy a spare or two just in case but otherwise I think it is a waste especially if your car is stock (no tune, dps etc).

The rest of it sounds fine. If it has never had a valve cleaning then it definitely needs it and the OCC is cheap insurance although I would recommend the upgraded RB PCV valve as well.

Cleaning out the intercooler is probably a waste of time but won't hurt anything either.
+1

I agree that there's no need to change the coils unless you're having misfiring or other ignition problems that may indicate a bad coil.

Don't think the oil catch can is necessary at all for someone who is not racing or driving his car really hard. Won't hurt but it's a waste of money otherwise.

I also don't think it's necessary to "clean" your stock FMIC for the same reason you don't need an OCC. It won't "hurt" to do it but it'll probably be a waste of time and effort.

FWIW, when I took the stock FMIC off of the car that I just bought at 85k miles there was nothing in it at all -- completely dry. The prior owner just drove it back and forth to work and didn't race it. So, the same thing is likely for yours.

As for the other things, I think the RB PCV again won't hurt but is not needed unless you're having some PCV related problem. However, the walnut blasting is something that should probably be done and I plan to do it myself at around 100k. Don't think you need to change any gaskets or o rings unless they're leaking. And, if they haven't been done before, you should probably change all of the fluids, including the transmission, differential, power steering, brakes and coolant.

Good luck!

Last edited by SSW; 02-13-2014 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 11:24 AM   #9
schmidtp
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2019 Ram 1500  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingshiftworker View Post
+1

I agree that there's no need to change the coils unless you're having misfiring or other ignition problems that may indicate a bad coil.

Don't think the oil catch can is necessary at all for someone who is not racing or driving his car really hard. Won't hurt but it's a waste of money otherwise.

I also don't think it's necessary to "clean" your stock FMIC for the same reason you don't need an OCC. It won't "hurt" to do it but it'll probably be a waste of time and effort.

FWIW, when I took the stock FMIC off of the car that I just bought at 85k miles there was nothing in it at all -- completely dry. The prior owner just drove it back and forth to work and didn't race it. So, the same thing is likely for yours.

As for the other things, I think the RB PCV again won't hurt but is not needed unless you're having some PCV related problem. However, the walnut blasting is something that should probably be done and I plan to do it myself at around 100k. Don't think you need to change any gaskets or o rings unless they're leaking. And, if they haven't been done before, you should probably change all of the fluids, including the transmission, differential, power steering, brakes and coolant.

Good luck!
Thanks! That sounds like a solid plan and what I will end up doing. I decided to get the PCV and the OCC just because my tax return was higher than I was expecting. If I see the OCC isn't doing anything Ill just sell it. I was also planning on doing rotors and pads this summer so then I will do brake fluid. Also sounds good on the gaskets, if I start leaking anything I will look into then. I am hoping the two previous owners just commuted the car. I'll try to tackle all the fluids a weekend and the walnut blasting another just so I am not rushed.

I just want to make sure that I am keeping everything in check. The car runs great right now and I am sure after plugs and walnut blasting will feel even better. Just makes me nervous because it seems like all I read is 'never own a N54 over 100K' but I wanted this car and that's all I could afford. My truck has 220K and still runs fine so I have faith
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #10
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingshiftworker View Post
My OCC catches about 0.5 litres of gunk every 16K miles driven. And I don't race, or drive particularly hard...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 02:09 PM   #11
schmidtp
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2019 Ram 1500  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
My OCC catches about 0.5 litres of gunk every 16K miles driven. And I don't race, or drive particularly hard...
That's what I figured, cheap insurance for the longevity of the engine. Seems like its 50/50 whether its worth it or not
Appreciate 0