E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW 330i Magnaflow 14815

03-30-2017, 09:15 PM   #23
noah.s
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR8-6IX View Post
could you upload a picture of your ghetto aftermarket exhaust?

I I highly recommend you remove the high flow cat (you already have cats in the manifold, not needed) and install something like a vibrant resonator underneath the rear seats. it will sound deeper and more throaty without that useless high flow cat and the resonator will get rid of the annoying drones and frequencies with your exhaust setup without really hurting overall sound. it will be great.

I really dont understand why the previous owner would install a whole new exhaust system when you can just delete the secondary cats on the OEM setup and install a high flow muffler in place of the restrictive stock one. less work, probably less money and an overall better sound.

the resonator is important. you lose torque without one so make sure to put some sort of aftermarket one on. would like to see pics of your current setup.
I never took pictures of the ghetto exhaust. It was just a straight pipe from headers to a universal muffler, had shit welds, and sounded like shit. Can't explain why they did what they did, but the guys at the exhaust shop laughed at the shitty work.

I know it may not be the best setup but it works for me. I have contemplated removing the cat before but i really don't think I want it any louder. I'll look into a resonator though. Ive got to get a weld fixed on the muffler hanger since it broke somehow, so maybe I'll throw one on then.

If I have time tomorrow I'll try to get a picture of the current setup.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 10:05 PM   #24
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah.s View Post
I never took pictures of the ghetto exhaust. It was just a straight pipe from headers to a universal muffler, had shit welds, and sounded like shit. Can't explain why they did what they did, but the guys at the exhaust shop laughed at the shitty work.

I know it may not be the best setup but it works for me. I have contemplated removing the cat before but i really don't think I want it any louder. I'll look into a resonator though. Ive got to get a weld fixed on the muffler hanger since it broke somehow, so maybe I'll throw one on then.

If I have time tomorrow I'll try to get a picture of the current setup.
who did you buy the car off my I ask?

thats literally the stupidest thing ive ever heard of in my life.. they could have made an actual good quality, good flowing exhaust for a fraction of the price by simply tinkering with the high quality for OEM catback.

I've seen some stock catbacks for sale on the forum which i'm sure you can grab for a fair price. I am 99% certain that an e90 335i catback would work just fine as well.

if you decide to stick with your current ghetto setup (if you're short on time which is understandable) then yea.. a resonator will help filter out alot of the shitty drone and rasp which i'm sure the quality piping is causing + restore some torque.

if you end up going with the OEM catback route, have the shop delete the secondaries and either PE mod the current muffler or replace with something universal. the better quality piping and presence of a resonator will restore a couple hp, couple torque but it will sound worlds better.

keep in mind the ECU needs to "learn" any sort of exhaust mod you do, meaning it will take roughly 300 miles for you to achieve full gains and finished sound. lots of redlines help this process but i heard to refrain from full throttle first 100 miles after mod. this trick worked nicely for me when modding my exhaust.

anyways.. good luck. sounds like your previous owners were quite caring of your rare 330i. I have some video clips above showing the sound after tinkering with my OE catback.
Appreciate 0