E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > High Pressure Fuel Pump bad - 1 month out of warranty

12-12-2017, 08:42 PM   #1
Mid_West
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

High Pressure Fuel Pump bad - 1 month out of warranty

So I took my car to the dealership in Palm Springs and paid to have the check engine light diagnosed. Turns out it could be either my O2 sensors or the High Pressure Fuel Pump. I swapped out the O2 sensors and ruled them out since the codes still blew. So the problem is a faulty HPFP....again! (I know, this comes as no shock to most of you)

What kills me is that my car is 1 month out of the 10 year 120k extended warranty on the pump. BMW NA said they would only cover 50% of the replacement. This is crazy, I only have 95k on the car and this is my 3rd fuel pump!

I was going to buy a new BMW from them but this leaves such a bad taste in my mouth that I might not buy my 5th BMW and switch to an Audi. What would you do?

Anyone here with a little bit of influence with BMW NA?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

Take the 50% offer, this is a very good deal. Once the car is working with no CELs or codes, sell it. How will you feel at 120K miles when you need a fourth fuel pump?

When you buy an Audi, you may find that they also need more repairs than a honda and parts are similarly priced to BMW, however the 335, especially the N54 has more problems than even an average BMW. Move on to something else if you do not like having to pay for expensive repairs.
      12-13-2017, 09:13 PM   #3
Mid_West
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Good point...I wish I didn’t like the car so much. It’s the first car I’ve had for so long and enjoyed so much, in between check engine lights.
Appreciate 0