E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Steering Stiff After Downpipes Installed

03-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
kmeanor10
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335xi

Steering Stiff After Downpipes Installed

Hey all,

I recently installed VRSF downpipes into my 09 335xi and the install went great, but following the install my steering has been incredibly stiff and I am beyond lost on this one.

It seems like it's inconsistently stiff (not constantly stiff like no power steering). When I come to a stop its easier to turn, but last night on the highway it was stiff as a board.

Has anyone had this issue before? It's really bothering me that I can't figure it out. When I installed them, I dropped the subframe a few inches and had to turn the wheel to get access to the v-clamp by the turbos. Could that have something to do with it? I'm desperate for help.

Thanks for help in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #2
BlackBB6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
Did you get an alignment after dropping the subframe?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 01:05 PM   #3
kmeanor10
Rep

That is certainly an option but I don't believe it to be an alignment issue; it feels like something is binding as opposed to out of alignment.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
kmeanor10
Rep

I say it doesn't seem like an alignment issue because it doesn't pull, shake, or anything... it drives straight as an arrow.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #5
dawhiz
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi RB/inlets/etc

I'd start by looking to see if there's anything hitting the steering or any clearance issues there. Maybe look at the joints, etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #6
kmeanor10
Rep

I'm thinking the intermediate shaft is binding or maybe the u-joint. I'm taking it to my buddy that's a mechanic today and will provide an update in case anyone else is experiencing the same thing. Hoping it's nothing serious.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 11:56 AM   #7
dreyo27
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Do you have active steering?
I had the same issue, turns out i pulled the rack a little too hard and disconnected the wiring for active steering.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 04:12 PM   #8
kmeanor10
Rep

I'm not even sure if I do; I was looking into it but I'm not sure how to find out if I do. That definitely sounds like it could be a possibility because it typically becomes easier at a stop.

Do you know how I could find out?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #9
Bmwfixerguy
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i 6sp

It's very common when doing anything that has you drop the subframe (for example n63 valve seals) to disrupt the steering shaft that's already worn and binding
You would have had to drop the frame so it needs an already bad steering shaft..
Do it from the too and soak it in pb blaster.. If you have access use an air hammer with a super long chisel from the bottom to blast it off! They get reallyyyyyy sized on there
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 08:33 AM   #10
toddyus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i x-drive

Same problem

Just completed the same thing this weekend - VRSF downpipes on a 335xi - and have the identical problem.

I suspect the same thing about dropping the subframe creating the issue, but for what it's worth, I did not turn the wheels at any point. Just dropped the subframe and reattached it.

Binding is the right description.

Let me know what you turn up. If I figure anything out, I'll do the same.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 08:39 AM   #11
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwfixerguy View Post
It's very common when doing anything that has you drop the subframe (for example n63 valve seals) to disrupt the steering shaft that's already worn and binding
You would have had to drop the frame so it needs an already bad steering shaft..
Do it from the too and soak it in pb blaster.. If you have access use an air hammer with a super long chisel from the bottom to blast it off! They get reallyyyyyy sized on there
wat?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 09:16 AM   #12
kmeanor10
Rep

Good news guys. I solved the problem; it was an absolute beeotch, but it's done. The lower u-joint in the intermediate shaft was partially seizing. Exactly what I thought. I had to take off the i-shaft completely. When I looked inside of it I saw that the rubber surround inside the actual joint was broken up. So I peeled all of that out, following that I dumped a bunch of Lucas Oil (if you don't have any go get some! It rocks) which is tacky but very lubricating so it sticks in that joint, just make sure you get plenty in there.

So essentially dropping the subframe hyper extended that u-joint and kinked it so it was binding up. Problem is 100% solved now and my steering is back to the nice firm buttery BMW way. So happy!

As a note, this is a pretty damn difficult job... like I said I am not an expert mechanic but I do know some stuff and it took me a good 6 hours. Also make sure you check if the u-joint is actually busted, as in the metal not just the rubber shroud. This is very important because if it's actually broken you will need a replacement and lucas oil will not do the trick.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 01:44 PM   #13
Bmwfixerguy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeanor10 View Post
Good news guys. I solved the problem; it was an absolute beeotch, but it's done. The lower u-joint in the intermediate shaft was partially seizing. Exactly what I thought. I had to take off the i-shaft completely. When I looked inside of it I saw that the rubber surround inside the actual joint was broken up. So I peeled all of that out, following that I dumped a bunch of Lucas Oil (if you don't have any go get some! It rocks) which is tacky but very lubricating so it sticks in that joint, just make sure you get plenty in there.

So essentially dropping the subframe hyper extended that u-joint and kinked it so it was binding up. Problem is 100% solved now and my steering is back to the nice firm buttery BMW way. So happy!

As a note, this is a pretty damn difficult job... like I said I am not an expert mechanic but I do know some stuff and it took me a good 6 hours. Also make sure you check if the u-joint is actually busted, as in the metal not just the rubber shroud. This is very important because if it's actually broken you will need a replacement and lucas oil will not do the trick.
It pays us 1.5 in the dealer
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2016, 01:45 PM   #14
Bmwfixerguy
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It pays us 1.5 in the dealer
Point is we get way underpaid on it lol not that it took you long, I've lost my short on a couple that were very seized...
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #15
kmeanor10
Rep

Quote:
Point is we get way underpaid on it lol not that it took you long, I've lost my short on a couple that were very seized...
Wow I can't believe they book that at an hour and a half. I feel awful for you

I mean now that I know what I'm doing I could probably cut it down to 3/4 hours maybe but it's definitely not a quick fix with how cramped everything is in our engine bays.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #16
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Glad you were able to resolve this! I'm sorry I hadn't noticed it earlier, I would have been happy to mention the u joint sometimes gets bound up when overextended.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 06:12 PM   #17
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Book is 1.5 hours on a non-xi...
      03-28-2016, 07:39 PM   #18
kmeanor10
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
Glad you were able to resolve this! I'm sorry I hadn't noticed it earlier, I would have been happy to mention the u joint sometimes gets bound up when overextended.
No worries! It forced me to learn a lot more about my car so I'm pleased.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 08:08 PM   #19
toddyus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddyus View Post
Just completed the same thing this weekend - VRSF downpipes on a 335xi - and have the identical problem.

I suspect the same thing about dropping the subframe creating the issue, but for what it's worth, I did not turn the wheels at any point. Just dropped the subframe and reattached it.

Binding is the right description.

Let me know what you turn up. If I figure anything out, I'll do the same.
For the sake of future visitors to the thread, thought I would add my resolution. As others have done, I hooked up some party straws together and sprayed healthy amounts of Tri-Flow on the lower u-joint as best I could from the top. Sprayed, turned the wheel left, sprayed, turned the wheel right, sprayed.

Did it last night, let it sit overnight and no signs of any binding today. Hoping this holds up for a while.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #20
toddyus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
For the sake of future visitors to the thread, thought I would add my resolution. As others have done, I hooked up some party straws together and sprayed healthy amounts of Tri-Flow on the lower u-joint as best I could from the top. Sprayed, turned the wheel left, sprayed, turned the wheel right, sprayed.

Did it last night, let it sit overnight and no signs of any binding today. Hoping this holds up for a while.
I stumbled on this old post of mine while looking for something else, and thought I'd add an update. It's been 2+ years and about 20K miles and this "fix" is still going strong for me. I have not reapplied any lubricant, incidentally.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 10:59 AM   #21
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Quote:

Thanks for posting! I just replaced the oil pan gasket and installed downpipes on my 335xi only to have really stiff steering afterwards. I'm going to try lubricating the joint tonight.
Appreciate 0