E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Airplay via multimedia snap in wiring on CIC

05-31-2018, 06:01 AM   #45
marcuslee2032
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus335iguy View Post
ok so - what you need to know is this... there are three sets of analogue video/audio inputs on the CIC. They are called FBAS1/2/3

The car has a shielded video cable our composite video is unshielded you can tie a third wire between the chassis of the device and the CIC to nullify any ground loop noise or use twin core shielded cable(preferred but not necassary)

You'd need to have a look which FBAS your AUX is on look for AUX 1 in your CIC code.
Then connect accordingly.

This is the instruction from someone else on another forum

"I think you can wire WD TV to FBAS 1, FBAS 2, or FBAS 3, whichever is available, and then code HU_CIC => AUX1 = wert_21, wert_22, or wert_23 accordingly.

The Pinout on back of CIC is:

FBAS 1 = wert_21:
- FBAS+, PIN 2
- FBAS-, PIN 12
- FBAS shield, PIN 11

FBAS 2 = wert_22:
- FBAS+, PIN 3
- FBAS-, PIN 10
- FBAS shield, PIN 9

FBAS 3 = wert_23:
- FBAS+, PIN 5
- FBAS-, PIN 8
- FBAS shield, PIN 7

Ill post a pinout diagram of the back of the CIC in just a sec
Fab work / thanks for the work Aus335iguy for the write up, and FYI I completely agree with the reasoning behind this vs other box solutions. Also for those of us who don't really like these 3rd party boxes vs trying to retain as much OEM as possible.

Can I just clarify this is how it's done:
- as per above, code HU_CIC to correct value to match the FBAS input you've wired into
- also audio for this...did it in the end come in via the aux (as found on console/gloveboxes of F10's, which goes to the Combox)
- finally though, what menu option appears in iDrive to match the FBAS and Aux now wired in (other posts on the net I've only seen them rob the "TV" External Devices input, as they don't have TV tuners)??

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 06:41 AM   #46
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i MSport DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuslee2032 View Post
Quote:
ok so - what you need to know is this... there are three sets of analogue video/audio inputs on the CIC. They are called FBAS1/2/3

The car has a shielded video cable our composite video is unshielded you can tie a third wire between the chassis of the device and the CIC to nullify any ground loop noise or use twin core shielded cable(preferred but not necassary)

You'd need to have a look which FBAS your AUX is on look for AUX 1 in your CIC code.
Then connect accordingly.

This is the instruction from someone else on another forum

"I think you can wire WD TV to FBAS 1, FBAS 2, or FBAS 3, whichever is available, and then code HU_CIC => AUX1 = wert_21, wert_22, or wert_23 accordingly.

The Pinout on back of CIC is:

FBAS 1 = wert_21:
- FBAS+, PIN 2
- FBAS-, PIN 12
- FBAS shield, PIN 11

FBAS 2 = wert_22:
- FBAS+, PIN 3
- FBAS-, PIN 10
- FBAS shield, PIN 9

FBAS 3 = wert_23:
- FBAS+, PIN 5
- FBAS-, PIN 8
- FBAS shield, PIN 7

Ill post a pinout diagram of the back of the CIC in just a sec
Fab work / thanks for the work Aus335iguy for the write up, and FYI I completely agree with the reasoning behind this vs other box solutions. Also for those of us who don't really like these 3rd party boxes vs trying to retain as much OEM as possible.

Can I just clarify this is how it's done:
- as per above, code HU_CIC to correct value to match the FBAS input you've wired into
- also audio for this...did it in the end come in via the aux (as found on console/gloveboxes of F10's, which goes to the Combox)
- finally though, what menu option appears in iDrive to match the FBAS and Aux now wired in (other posts on the net I've only seen them rob the "TV" External Devices input, as they don't have TV tuners)??

Thanks in advance!
You need to plug an old iPhone into the cradle and select that whilst playing a video. I never worked out audio as i dont use it.
      05-31-2018, 06:47 AM   #47
marcuslee2032
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You need to plug an old iPhone into the cradle and select that whilst playing a video. I never worked out audio as i dont use it.
Understood with the audio, and understood with the video bit about the iPhone (ta).

But also how do you actually choose it as an External Input on iDrive? When you code HU_CIC, what menu option appears (is it second one down like in below "iPhone" cradle icon)?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 07:04 AM   #48
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Understood with the audio, and understood with the video bit about the iPhone (ta).

But also how do you actually choose it as an External Input on iDrive? When you code HU_CIC, what menu option appears (is it second one down like in below "iPhone" cradle icon)?
Yep that's the one
      05-31-2018, 07:19 AM   #49
marcuslee2032
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yep that's the one
Nice one, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 11:02 AM   #50
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

So this is still plausible/possible? Is there any videos out there for it? I'd like to mirror my phone if possible

I was also trying to see if we could somehow attach the idrive controller to the phone too while it's mirroring
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 02:52 PM   #51
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaKii94 View Post
So this is still plausible/possible? Is there any videos out there for it? I'd like to mirror my phone if possible

I was also trying to see if we could somehow attach the idrive controller to the phone too while it's mirroring
Yes its possible and fairly cheap and easy. :0)
      05-31-2018, 03:21 PM   #52
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks I'll go back and reread the thread more carefully. Were you able to figure out the audio issues you were having? Does this bypass the aux port for audio? (i.e. can I wirelessly stream HD audio (aptx quality or better) to this?)

I just bought a bluetooth adapter for the aux port. I could see an NFC tag coming in handy (or maybe smart location based option, when in range of the wifi on this device) to turn on bluetooth, connect wifi, start mirroring, reduce screen dpi while in car (bigger words!!), turn on music player & google maps in split screen. That'd be real convenient.

Then, adding the android idrive controller functionality (from another thread in this forum) would be the icing on top!

EDIT: Saw that you have a combox... do we need a combox for this?

Last edited by PaKii94; 05-31-2018 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 03:56 PM   #53
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks I'll go back and reread the thread more carefully. Were you able to figure out the audio issues you were having? Does this bypass the aux port for audio? (i.e. can I wirelessly stream HD audio (aptx quality or better) to this?)

I just bought a bluetooth adapter for the aux port. I could see an NFC tag coming in handy (or maybe smart location based option, when in range of the wifi on this device) to turn on bluetooth, connect wifi, start mirroring, reduce screen dpi while in car (bigger words!!), turn on music player & google maps in split screen. That'd be real convenient.

Then, adding the android idrive controller functionality (from another thread in this forum) would be the icing on top!

EDIT: Saw that you have a combox... do we need a combox for this?
It shouldn't matter as this is all directly connected (bar the audio) directly to the CIC and the audio can be routed that way as well. The MULF and the COmbox handle snap in audio the same way in any case.
      06-01-2018, 12:48 PM   #54
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It shouldn't matter as this is all directly connected (bar the audio) directly to the CIC and the audio can be routed that way as well. The MULF and the COmbox handle snap in audio the same way in any case.
Okay so combox ISN'T a requirement?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 03:05 PM   #55
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Okay so combox ISN'T a requirement?
Nope. The mulf unit can be used to transfer the audio signal to the CIC via MOST and video is analogue directly to the CIC as well. Nothing different. The COMBOX only really enables apps and bluetooth streaming behind that it has no real advantage. It does if you want internet and BMW live etc but in my experience those things aren't useful at all.
      06-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #56
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Nope. The mulf unit can be used to transfer the audio signal to the CIC via MOST and video is analogue directly to the CIC as well. Nothing different. The COMBOX only really enables apps and bluetooth streaming behind that it has no real advantage. It does if you want internet and BMW live etc but in my experience those things aren't useful at all.
coooool I guess i got a summer project now with this + idrive bluetooth controller
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2018, 04:55 PM   #57
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
coooool I guess i got a summer project now with this + idrive bluetooth controller
Good luck and post more information here as you go so others can benefit. My posts aren't detailed enough
      06-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #58
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Good luck and post more information here as you go so others can benefit. My posts aren't detailed enough
Hey do you think the same method could be used to wire in an android box?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 03:35 PM   #59
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Hey do you think the same method could be used to wire in an android box?
Yes I don't see why not. Android boxes will have HDMI output. You'll need a HDMI to CVBS converter as well.
      06-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #60
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes I don't see why not. Android boxes will have HDMI output. You'll need a HDMI to CVBS converter as well.
Hey so I think I am officially going to start working on this project. Do you have any more pictures/advice for setup? Do you think you could make a short video demoing the mirroring? Is there a noticeable lag with the mirroring? Also, is it possible to output audio via bluetooth and video via miracast? I just bought a nice BT adapter and I'd like to plug that in too.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 05:02 PM   #61
PaKii94
Private First Class
Rep

Also other question that you might not know the answer to... but if I did the DIY rearview camera (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005301), would this setup interfere with that? Or is it hijacking the same connection...
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 08:46 PM   #62
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Hey so I think I am officially going to start working on this project. Do you have any more pictures/advice for setup? Do you think you could make a short video demoing the mirroring? Is there a noticeable lag with the mirroring? Also, is it possible to output audio via bluetooth and video via miracast? I just bought a nice BT adapter and I'd like to plug that in too.
I dont have any other photos. Im time poor and to be honest so a video isnt something I can invest time in. Theres no lag that i noticed. I dont know about bluetooth either - But i dont think thatll work
      07-05-2018, 04:29 AM   #63
marcuslee2032
Enlisted Member
Rep

Aus335iguy, hoping you're still about to answer this one.

With regards to leaving an old iPhone connected to the USB port, such that it keeps iDrive alive to pull in the composite video line of the Airplay box, do you have to leave it nailed up with like the Video app on?

And also what do you do when the iPhone goes into standby/powers off, I guess you have to manually power the iPhone back up, unlock it to get it going again?

(Thanks in advance)!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 05:01 AM   #64
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

Quote:
Also other question that you might not know the answer to... but if I did the DIY rearview camera (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1005301), would this setup interfere with that? Or is it hijacking the same connection...
the CIC have 3 video inputs, so unless you have more than 3 video sources you will not have problems
      07-05-2018, 04:50 PM   #65
Aus335iguy
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Aus335iguy, hoping you're still about to answer this one.

With regards to leaving an old iPhone connected to the USB port, such that it keeps iDrive alive to pull in the composite video line of the Airplay box, do you have to leave it nailed up with like the Video app on?

And also what do you do when the iPhone goes into standby/powers off, I guess you have to manually power the iPhone back up, unlock it to get it going again?

(Thanks in advance)!
I a havent had to touch the phone since I plugged it in. The car calls the media file on the phone similar to a hard drive.
      07-06-2018, 05:24 AM   #66
marcuslee2032
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I a havent had to touch the phone since I plugged it in. The car calls the media file on the phone similar to a hard drive.
Thanks Aus335iguy, much appreciated!
Appreciate 0