E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Vibration while braking at high speed

11-26-2019, 02:01 PM   #45
Goboro100
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: 335d

So it’s the engine support mount or bolts or I need engine mounts 335d? I’m having this issue it’s a hit or miss sometimes the vibration is there sometimes it’s not. Sometimes I heard a knocking noise when going over a bump when wheel is turned a bit when wheel is straight no knocking noise over bumps what. What do i do I already replaced all sway bar links new wit oem. Some ppl had that issue. Do I need new engine mounts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abed View Post
I want to share my story for others who might have the same issue, I hope it helps with diagnosing someone's issue. I own a 2008 328Xi with manual transmission.

When I bought the car I had the famous AWD problem and all the brake pads and rotors needed replacing. After fixing the AWD problem by replacing the worm gear and replacing all the brake pads and rotors I realized that the car would make a very harsh vibration at sudden braking with frequent knocking noise. Also the car felt like it did not have a shock absorber, it was very hard on bumps and you would hear a little knocking noise when going on small bumps on low speed.

It did not have any of these issues before fixing those problems or at least I did not realize it, so at first I thought the rotor is to blame because it was not the expensive brand, I replaced it with the old ones and I felt less vibration and noise but still there was some of that noise. After couple of times of testing it I came to realize that the front CV axle splashed all the grease out of the boot on the passenger side, so I thought it is bad even though it did not have any excess play in it and did not make any weird noise on turning; so I ordered a new CV axle, but it popped out because it was too short. After opening the old CV axle I realized it did not have any excess wear on the interior bearings so I refilled the grease and tightened the bracket and put it back on, but the issue was still there. I checked all the suspension parts and there was no visible problem with any of them until by chance I saw a hole on the passenger side engine support without any bolt in it! Then I saw another hole with a broken bolt head inside of it and so on! Three of the bolts were broken and one was missing, fortunately I was able to remove the bolt heads using my finger and patience after removing the engine support! I have not replaced the bolts yet, but I am 99.99% sure that this is the issue.
I will make an update once I replace the engine support bolts.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2023, 03:11 AM   #46
Sortid
Rep
Drives: Bmw e92 330d , e30 325i cab,

Was this ever resolved ?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2023, 10:29 AM   #47
lordnikon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Break My Wallet

Garage List
I have the same issue. Reading this thread is really depressing me as I don't want to throw money replacing a bunch of stuff and doesn't solve the problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2023, 02:00 PM   #48
lordnikon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Break My Wallet

Garage List
Happy to report that replacing the front rotors solved the problem completely.
Appreciate 0