E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Smoking 330D M57 2006

11-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #1
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330

Smoking 330D M57 2006

Hi,

I have another post but not getting many responses.

My car is smoking on idle and start as can be seen in the video.

I have other videos on INPA of various values, would appreciate some input on these too

Thanks

Tim
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 01:34 AM   #2
Bmwuk
BMW GTS
Rep
Drives: BMW M90 GTS

Could be a few things tbh. Need to know some more info first.
1. Does it only smoke on start up?
2. Is it using excessive oil? How often are you topping up / how much?
3. Mileage on engine?

STAGE 3 -- HYBRID TURBO -- WAGNER FMIC -- PROGRESSIVE METH KIT -- 6HP28 w/uprated TC -- DPF / EGR DELETE -- CUSTOM CAT BACK STAINLESS TWIN EXIT EXHAUST WITH REMUS M3 CF TIPS -- M135i FRONT 4 POTS -- 19" BBS CSLs -- RAPTOR XENON HEADLIGHTS -- CIC iDRIVE -- COMBOX -- LEMON DAKOTA INTERIOR --
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 02:42 AM   #3
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi,

mileage is about 152k
not using much oil, however, I did put about 2L in a few weeks ago which nearly took me to full. But have not put any oil in since last change 18 months ago.
Smokes on start up and a little on idle. It is like a blue/white smoke.

INPA and DIS show I have to glow plugs 1 and 2 cylinder as activation. No real starting issue currently, just smoke on start up.

Another fault code is for fuel filter and INPA values on actual air mass are all over the place. I have videos up on my youtube, linked to video above.

Another fault I have noticed is the temp does not reach 90C for about 50 miles of mixed driving.

I replaced all six plugs in April, but did not do the controller. I have ordered 2 new plugs, a controller, new breather and main thermostat. EGR one was replaced last year.

CCV was replaced in 2008, but I looked at last year and replaced the vortex.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Are you reaching 85C? If so then that's fine. The thermostat is set to open around 85C iirc... In cold weather you may never see 90C, which is ok. The issue is when it's chronically below 80C. Your thermostat is ok.

As asked by bmwuk, is the smoke only at cold startup?
If so, it could be from the glow plugs you mention with codes, not working as well as the others during the warmup period. That would cause some smoke.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #5
Nadir Point
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Diesel

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showp...90&postcount=2
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
Bmwuk
BMW GTS
Rep

Does it smoke on idle when cold and hot? i would suggest you sort the glow plug issue and possible maf (other thread) first to eliminate any problems with them. 2ltrs of oil use isnt excessive but i wouldnt rule out valve stem seal or sticky tappet causing the excessive smoke if smoking hot/cold on both startup and idle. if you cant do step by step diagnosis yourself then take it to a mechanic who knows the e series and can.

STAGE 3 -- HYBRID TURBO -- WAGNER FMIC -- PROGRESSIVE METH KIT -- 6HP28 w/uprated TC -- DPF / EGR DELETE -- CUSTOM CAT BACK STAINLESS TWIN EXIT EXHAUST WITH REMUS M3 CF TIPS -- M135i FRONT 4 POTS -- 19" BBS CSLs -- RAPTOR XENON HEADLIGHTS -- CIC iDRIVE -- COMBOX -- LEMON DAKOTA INTERIOR --
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #7
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
Are you reaching 85C? If so then that's fine. The thermostat is set to open around 85C iirc... In cold weather you may never see 90C, which is ok. The issue is when it's chronically below 80C. Your thermostat is ok.

As asked by bmwuk, is the smoke only at cold startup?
If so, it could be from the glow plugs you mention with codes, not working as well as the others during the warmup period. That would cause some smoke.
Checked the thermostat today, on the motorway it was sitting at 59c for a 25 min drive. Definitely not working. In traffic it went to 66c, albeit it is 1-3c outside, temps are still low. Will replace this weekend.

Smoke is more when cold, but still there when warmer, but looks more blue than white.

This is the smoke when started and revved

https://youtu.be/JckwKZhCmt8
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 03:20 PM   #8
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwuk View Post
Does it smoke on idle when cold and hot? i would suggest you sort the glow plug issue and possible maf (other thread) first to eliminate any problems with them. 2ltrs of oil use isnt excessive but i wouldnt rule out valve stem seal or sticky tappet causing the excessive smoke if smoking hot/cold on both startup and idle. if you cant do step by step diagnosis yourself then take it to a mechanic who knows the e series and can.
Will relaxer relay and test all plugs this weekend, along with CCV and main thermostat.

Potentially thinking maybe stem seals, so if not better after replacing these parts will use a thicker oil, or Wynn’s Stop smoke.

Coolant wise, I’m not losing any, so unsure if there is a crack in the egr cooler. But will know this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #9
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Update:

Put stop smoke in and it’s still smoking, but it looks white and not blue. Sometimes it’s worse than others.

Fuel filter has been changed with a Bosch one and still showing as fault.

Will drive the car without the MAF connected to see if it improves.

Only thing left to check is rear turbo seal.

Any other thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 12:58 PM   #10
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

I can't see video. Perhaps the valve cover gasket?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #11
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

don't mess with the glow plugs.. start with the thermostat

glow plugs only warm fuel in the combustion chamber and would have nothing to do with smoke...

check your intake track and see how much oil is in front of the ASV.
      12-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #12
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

What’s the ASV. There is some oil in the intake by the EGR, but I’ve checked the intercooler and wasn’t dripping, just a bit damp, have changed the crank case breather to vortex with new housing from FEBI make.

How do these injector values look?

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 07:42 PM   #13
Keithlan1978
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txs330D View Post
What’s the ASV. There is some oil in the intake by the EGR, but I’ve checked the intercooler and wasn’t dripping, just a bit damp, have changed the crank case breather to vortex with new housing from FEBI make.

How do these injector values look?

Did you ever sort this issue mate and if so what was it?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 10:50 AM   #14
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithlan1978 View Post
Did you ever sort this issue mate and if so what was it?
Nope, still ongoing - you got the same issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #15
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Injector balance looks good, though sometimes 6 getting weak could be from water leaking into it, so take a look for corrosion on 6 by the injector nut.

As it's a 330d, was it tuned in the uk? I've read threads where uk tunes mess up regen or egr/asv actions. Asv is the throttle valve in front of the egr
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #16
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

Yeah, it smokes a little puff at start then some when warming up. Then once warmed up constant while idle and then a few big clouds when revved and clears.

Also experiencing quite a bit of black smoke too.

Since this, I’ve changed the turbo, no luck, fresh clean oil has only made things a bit worse.

Rocker cover gasket?

I’m going to compression test, but blowby doesn’t look bad from the filler cap.

Are stem seals really an issue on these engines? Can’t find any threads online with these issues?

Thanks for your help
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #17
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I had just started the car at this point.

Please see other videos
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #18
Bmwuk
BMW GTS
Rep

The symptoms you have, i had on my 330d. Went through a whole host of things, testing and replacing but it progressively got worst at start up and when left to idle and pull away. In the end i replaced the engine with low mileage block and rebuilt head. Since then it hasn't come back. Me and my mechanic therefore think it was part of the valve gear and most likely stem seals as the compression tests and bottom end looked fine. The car had done a little over 200k.
Not saying yours is the same but symptoms sound close.... seals and parts wear out over time, especially when put under excessive load, regardless of regular maintenance.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #19
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The symptoms you have, i had on my 330d. Went through a whole host of things, testing and replacing but it progressively got worst at start up and when left to idle and pull away. In the end i replaced the engine with low mileage block and rebuilt head. Since then it hasn't come back. Me and my mechanic therefore think it was part of the valve gear and most likely stem seals as the compression tests and bottom end looked fine. The car had done a little over 200k.
Not saying yours is the same but symptoms sound close.... seals and parts wear out over time, especially when put under excessive load, regardless of regular maintenance.
Yeah, I am suspecting stem seals. After rocker cover I guess that’s all that’s left now.

I may attempt it myself, but not sure if the head has to be skimmed or if there are any other extra that need considering. Is it just a case of strip down, release chain, remove cams and head/stretch bolts. Then use A special seal removal tool.

I’m sure it would be fine, just timely.

Anyone got a guide how to?
Appreciate 0