E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E92 - M3 control arms or other options?

08-18-2023, 02:46 PM   #1
KnighTT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 - 2011 E92 335is

E92 - M3 control arms or other options?

Suspension....M3 components are the go-to but what really are ALL of the options?

Any Non-M owner kind of strives to want that M handling but are there other options that are equivalent or frankly even better than the factory M hardware without getting into crazy race car only bits?

I have a 335is that is fully built as well as a refresh on most all wear down components. I added ST XTA's to the mix during build and replaced most every piece of rubber the coil overs came in contact with. All of the stock control arms were in great condition so there is really no play or wiggle in anything so I took it out this summer to enjoy it.

I've done some Tail of the Dragon events now and had some time to be thoroughly impressed with how amazing the car handles under such extreme twists and turns. That being said, speeds on the Dragon are usually 35-60mph and by no means taking a banked turn at 140. As I look into more of these events, and track days this next season, I look over the options and have some questions on better handling.

You can get the entire M3 control arm kit, with upgraded ECS or Revshift trailing arms, for about $1,200. Knock them all out at once at what I would consider a fair price. Easy DIY.

Now the other options I see are full kits that are 100% adjustable but come in at nearly $4,000. Turner, SPL, etc. Race car stuff.

I don't ever plan on this car competing professionally, or be hell bent on time attack, but I do have a curiosity on what the best bang for your buck setup is?

Would the M3 kit button up the handling to any conceivable amateur desired level? Is there a more hybrid approach....are there a few components that are of great benefit to be adjustable? My ST XTA came with club sport adjustable camber plates so that is taken care of.

What say ye?

Last edited by KnighTT; 08-18-2023 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 08:27 PM   #2
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e39 m5

tons of options, do it all. imo if you like driving-at least front monoball, m3 control arm, solid diff & subframe mounts

also

m3 strut brace, diff brace, front subframe bar/plate mod, caster plates

you can monoball the whole rear end to, toe arms, trailing bushing, m3 rear upper forward arm, shock mounts
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2023, 12:07 PM   #3
KnighTT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 - 2011 E92 335is

After some research, this is the real issue regarding what to get. There are about three different options for every suspension part.

1. Stock/upgraded bushing stock.
2. M component
3. Fully adjustable

Whole car:

You can simply get the entire M3 control arm kit for front and rear + trailing arms. ECS/Revshift. Around $1,200 Brings the entire car up to "M" level as well as replace all of the worn parts. Most likely a very noticeable difference right away.

Then there are a few monoball upgrades you can drop into the M3 arms. Like the tension arm.

Then there are monoball fully adjustable parts for every component.
Turner, SPL, Godspeed, etc.

I would imagine making every single component adjustable isn't needed. This is never going to be a full blown comp grade race car BUT....

What components of the suspension being fully adjustable is most beneficial? What components having a monoball bushing is also most beneficial that doesn't come that way?
Appreciate 0