E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Actual difference between AWD & RWD coilovers

09-06-2023, 06:38 PM   #1
mcp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi (e92)

Actual difference between AWD & RWD coilovers

Hey everybody. Having a hard time finding a concrete answer on this. When i was installing my KW V1s on my xi, the body looked identical to the RWD version i bought used.

Some trusted websites say they are completely interchangeable. (Pelican parts says ohlins r&t fit both, and have fairly detailed fitment notes for multiple models)

I understand that the body of the xdrive shocks are shorter but if the height is adjustable that shouldn’t really matter.

There is a set of KW club sports at a very good price and I want to jump on it, but they need to fit and every single thread has completely conflicting info. Some people are running RWD coils in their XI’s and some people swear there is no possible way they fit.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 10:24 PM   #2
Raptor04
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I would call KW and ask them for the front strut dimensions of the club sports for rwd vs the v3s for awd to include the amount of stroke travel. That info will help you understand differences between the awd and rwd front struts. Rear shocks are interchangeable between rwd and awd. Front are not interchangeable without some customization. I've never worked with a rwd front knuckle but I've extensively worked with my own awd front knuckle and I know the awd front strut mount is unique and I think different than the rwd knuckle. Additionally the awd uses a shorter strut body because of the front drive shaft which mean overall the rwd strut is longer. If you lower the awd car in the front via spring preload only to counter the longer rwd strut body and/or rod, you will lose compression travel and have a lot of spring preload which ultimately will result in a bad ride quality.

You might be able to make the front clubsports work by grinding/expanding the front awd knuckle mount hole but that's not a fun job and you will still have a strut that is too long and compromises compression travel if you reduce the ride height too much. With awd struts, you have a shorter strut body and shorter overall dampener to maintain enough compression travel to avoid riding on bump tops all the time.

On a related note, I have a set of h&r front strut bodies for awd car that can work with an ohlins rwd dampener. If your interested, I could build this for you for a set price. The ride height will be adjusted via the spring but ride quality is ok as long as you don't go too low.

Imo and after lots of experimenting with my own car, I would recommend sticking with a kit specifically made for awd cars. Although you could try it and resell the kit if it doesn't work. I'd be interested in results if your try it.