E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E90 Too Low on Eibachs? Bottoming Out Big Bumps

08-18-2023, 02:46 PM   #1
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

E90 Too Low on Eibachs? Bottoming Out Big Bumps

I bought my car with the suspension already installed but I believe the bump stops were cut at least up front. Otherwise the car has 95k miles, maybe 40k on the suspension which is Koni yellows + Eibachs. I don't drive the car that much and for the most part the car handles and drives great. However there are a handful of potholes and dips on the highways around me that will cause me to bottom out really hard.

It seems like it is too low and the wheels are fairly sunken under the fenders. I do have spacers and wider wheels but even when I took off the spacers I was still sunk in the wheel well so it seems like a ride height problem. I have been considering going back to stock sport springs or something but we don't have many alternatives. It seems Eibachs are a popular option for the E90 but I would expect to see more complaints if the springs were the problem.

I found a few threads that mentioned using an E36 top hats to raise the car a little bit but it seems a little unnecessary. Should I just refresh the top hats? Are there any other wear items that would reduce ride height? What about bump stops, should they have been cut?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 03:38 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Your suspension mod is common on the E9X and I've never heard of bottoming issues. But if you suspect your bump stops have been tampered with, that would be my first port of call.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 09:14 AM   #3
Will_460cs
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E46m3 e91 N53 e90 n55

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissubaru View Post
I bought my car with the suspension already installed but I believe the bump stops were cut at least up front. Otherwise the car has 95k miles, maybe 40k on the suspension which is Koni yellows + Eibachs. I don't drive the car that much and for the most part the car handles and drives great. However there are a handful of potholes and dips on the highways around me that will cause me to bottom out really hard.

It seems like it is too low and the wheels are fairly sunken under the fenders. I do have spacers and wider wheels but even when I took off the spacers I was still sunk in the wheel well so it seems like a ride height problem. I have been considering going back to stock sport springs or something but we don't have many alternatives. It seems Eibachs are a popular option for the E90 but I would expect to see more complaints if the springs were the problem.

I found a few threads that mentioned using an E36 top hats to raise the car a little bit but it seems a little unnecessary. Should I just refresh the top hats? Are there any other wear items that would reduce ride height? What about bump stops, should they have been cut?
Springs are the only thing that will affect suspension travel in the way described. Eibachs are minus 10-20mm on the fronts over m-sport springs. The rears are virtually identical M-Sport. Bump stops being cut down may make the crash which will come later and bit harder - tell me the length of the bump stop and ill tell you if its cut down.

In addition if you running 19s with 35 series on the front this will be more trashy that 40 series 18s

Last edited by Will_460cs; 09-12-2023 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 09:33 AM   #4
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Eibach springs are terrible, even though they're common and many people are happy with them. Get BMW performance springs - similar stance, but with improved rates.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 06:41 AM   #5
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Eibach springs are terrible, even though they're common and many people are happy with them. Get BMW performance springs - similar stance, but with improved rates.
I wish i either left in the stock springs or replaced like for like.

I did eibach springs and B4S. The car was sat hard on the stock bump stops at rest.
Poor!

Fitted E30 spring hats and rubbers and mini (bmw) bump stops and it now actually has shock travel.

I trimmed rear bump stops.

2010 E91 325d
Appreciate 0