E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Pre LCI E90 with Logic 7 but no I-drive Bluetooth music streaming solution question

06-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
curveball
Captain
Rep
Drives: Pre-LCI E90

Pre LCI E90 with Logic 7 but no I-drive Bluetooth music streaming solution question

Hello, I did some homework and read some posts but I’m more confused than before…

The goal:
I’d like to stream music on my phone via Bluetooth and control using steering wheel buttons

Current State:
• 2007 335i E90, Pre-LCI obviously, Logic 7, Non I-drive
• The phone is connected to the car and I can make phone calls without any problem, but just can’t stream music
• I only find an AUX input in the center armrest console, there is no USB or 30-pin connector or anything like that. So I believe I don’t have iPod integration
• I have a $20 bluetooth transmitter from Amazon and connect to the AUX, it stream music on my phone fine
• One small problem: I can’t control music with steering wheel

Target State:
• Scenario 1: I can control music using steering wheel, but seems this can’t be achieved by using the transmitter
• Scenario 2: Keep the transmitter, but connect the transmitter to stereo and power behind the dash, glue the transmitter control wheel (3 buttons: answer/reject, last song, next song) to the dash

I prefer scenario 1 but if it’s a lot more expensive I will go with scenario 2. But for scenario 2 I’m not sure how to connect the AUX output of the transmitter to the stereo behind the dash

One additional question: my phone is connected to the car and the transmitter at the same time (automatically), if I’m streaming music and using Waze via transmitter and my phone rings, will the stereo system switch to the phone call tone?

Any suggestion is appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #2
curveball
Captain
Rep

Help please...sorry I wrote a bad novel :
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 02:42 PM   #3
shaggysimms
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i LCI

I would almost be okay with having something like that. I used a $30 AUX/Bluetooth adapter and the sound quality was absolutely horrible by my standard. Do you have any input on the sound quality of this unit?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

The aux Input sucks in the first place.

Some have claimed its a little better with a high quality
head phone Dac like Fifo or equivalent.
Best to go through USB or find away to add USB if you want
a high quality connection.
Bluetooth streaming is not a high quality way to get music into
your system but it can be OK with some good hardware and not using
low bit rate files to feed it.
A Dension gateway 500 s bt gives you phone , streaming bluetooth, usb/ipod
and A2DP and is high quality but its not cheap.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002984

From entry 89 in the above thread

by Agentphish he says the following.

I recently ABC'd the sound in a friends 2014 X1 using an iPhone 5s as the source and playing it alternately thru AUX, USB and AUX with AirEnabler and SoundBlaster X-Fi Go!. The plain AUX definitely sounded the worst...by far. That's how my friend had been listening to her iPhone since she got the car
6 months ago, not knowing about the USB. When we plugged the phone directly it into the USB, the sound came alive...much improved.

I then hooked up the AirEnabler with the Sound Blaster portable DAC to the AUX input and the sound was very close to the USB. I didn't hook up the Fiio (will do this ASAP) but judging by the difference in MY car (that doesn't have USB...yet), I would have to believe that the Fiio through the AUX would sound better than the USB. The Fiio blew away the SoundBlaster in my car.

So...you're right: There is definitely a weakness in the AUX system BUT with a good quality DAC/headphone amp like the Fiio E-17, that difference can be minimized (at worst)...and even made superior to USB, in my opinion. The Fiio is definitely worth a try.

Last edited by ctuna; 06-15-2015 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Use a USB flash drive in the armrest for best sound with Logic 7.
Which USB flash drive is a bit of an experiment so buy it locally.
This gives you the ability to go to next/previous song and control volume.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
curveball
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggysimms
I would almost be okay with having something like that. I used a $30 AUX/Bluetooth adapter and the sound quality was absolutely horrible by my standard. Do you have any input on the sound quality of this unit?
I think the sound is OK, you just need to have high quality music files on your phone..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
curveball
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna
Some have claimed its a little better with a high quality
head phone Dac like Fifo or equivalent.
Best to go through USB or find away to add USB if you want
a high quality connection.
Bluetooth streaming is not a high quality way to get music into
your system but it can be OK with some good hardware and not using
low bit rate files to feed it.
A Dension gateway 500 s bt gives you phone , streaming bluetooth, usb/ipod
and A2DP and is high quality but its not cheap.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1002984

From entry 89 in the above thread

by Agentphish he says the following.

I recently ABC'd the sound in a friends 2014 X1 using an iPhone 5s as the source and playing it alternately thru AUX, USB and AUX with AirEnabler and SoundBlaster X-Fi Go!. The plain AUX definitely sounded the worst...by far. That's how my friend had been listening to her iPhone since she got the car
6 months ago, not knowing about the USB. When we plugged the phone directly it into the USB, the sound came alive...much improved.

I then hooked up the AirEnabler with the Sound Blaster portable DAC to the AUX input and the sound was very close to the USB. I didn't hook up the Fiio (will do this ASAP) but judging by the difference in MY car (that doesn't have USB...yet), I would have to believe that the Fiio through the AUX would sound better than the USB. The Fiio blew away the SoundBlaster in my car.

So...you're right: There is definitely a weakness in the AUX system BUT with a good quality DAC/headphone amp like the Fiio E-17, that difference can be minimized (at worst)...and even made superior to USB, in my opinion. The Fiio is definitely worth a try.
Thanks for the info, I honestly don't want to spend hundreds on this....if there is no cheaper option I'll just use the Bluetooth transmitter.

Also I don't have USB in the armrest, just AUX and power socket..
Appreciate 0