E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Post-brake fluid flush (spongy brakes)

08-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #23
OmarG99
Rep
Drives: Stock BMW F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
To really do it properly you need Ista D or Inpa to run the anti lock
brake bleed procedure. Also if you have a manual it shares the fluid
in a split reservoir so you need to bleed the clutch at the same time.
I don't think brakes and tires is a thing to be looking for the cheapest
option on.
How would I bleed the clutch? -or should I just leave it because I am getting a new clutch on the car anyway? I just needed brakes temporarily
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 03:40 PM   #24
OmarG99
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'm really guessing here, but if I were in your situation I'd get a pressure bleeder (you can use it in 2 years to flush brakes again - the flush schedule is every 24 months from the build date of the car). With a pressure bleeder correctly setup, which means loaded at least half-full with fresh brake fluid and pressurized to 18 PSI, I'd connect a catch bottle to the front left brake caliper and open the bleed screw. Then I'd have an assistant get in the car and slowly press the brake pedal to see if the open hydraulic circuit will draw brake fluid into the master cylinder and out the brake caliper. I suggest the front left brake because it has the shortest hydraulic circuit, so there is less air to purge. You need an assistant here to operate the brake pedal while you observe the brake fluid ejecting from the caliper(s). I'd let you borrow my wife, as she is an expert, master-level brake pedal operation technician with 30 years experience, but we're on the East Coast, so you'll need to find someone local...

If you can get bubble-free fluid out of the left front brake caliper, then close the bleeder valve. Check the level of the fluid in the pressure bleeder (it still should be close to half-full) and check the pressure and pump it back up to 20 PSI.

Then start at the right rear brake as normally you would, and start bleeding the brakes correctly. Finally, bleed the front left brake again. If you are getting bubble-free fluid ejecting from each caliper, you may be home free, or at least have the car drivable. Drivable to an independent BMW shop and pay them to properly bleed the ABS valve body.
Alright so quick update, I just did the whole process without a pressure bleeder, I attached a hose to each caliper bleeder (individually) and kept pumping the brake till the fluid came out of the calipers with no air bubbles. And now the reservoir is full and the brake pedal is stiff again. So before I start the car and see if the brakes work, is there anything else I need to double check before? (And I know you gave me instructions which ofc I highly appreciate but I’m trynna do what I can without the pressure bleeder) side note: I do have MHD tune in and I do have Carly for BMW, so would clearing codes and reflashing the car help abs codes ?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #25
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmarG99 View Post
How would I bleed the clutch? -or should I just leave it because I am getting a new clutch on the car anyway? I just needed brakes temporarily
You don't need to bleed the clutch when you bleed the brakes. Bleeding the clutch is a huge PITA anyway. There's hardly any space in there. Ask your clutch guy to bleed it at the same time. They'll have no better access.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #26
OmarG99
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welcome to NBA Jam View Post
You don't need to bleed the clutch when you bleed the brakes. Bleeding the clutch is a huge PITA anyway. There's hardly any space in there. Ask your clutch guy to bleed it at the same time. They'll have no better access.
Alright will do when I find a clutch guy lol thanks for the help
Appreciate 0