E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E91 poor radio reception

01-05-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
Pingman
Rep
Drives: e91 320i Msport

E91 poor radio reception

My E91 radio can only sporadically pick up BBC Radio1/2.

Looks like it's already had the diversity module replaced and no sign of water in the enclosure. (it's previously had a bunch of black silicone put around it).

I tested the 4 cables to it and getting some really weird voltages on all 4, 1-2v each. which is odd.

The other thing is with the spoiler hanging down as photo'd I suddenly got reasonable reception, pick up Capital FM fine!

Pretty stumped. Any ideas please?!

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #2
slupie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 328iT, Montego Blau

the most likely culprit are the wire that go from the diversity antenna through the rubber boot in your picture to the car under the headliner.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928522

Last edited by slupie; 01-06-2018 at 07:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 06:02 PM   #3
Pingman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slupie View Post
the most likely culprit are the wire that go from the diversity antenna through the rubber boot in your picture to the car under the headliner.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928522
ahh thanks i'll give that a look

only had it a month and it's a 'pain in the arse' car so far
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 10:03 PM   #4
slupie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingman View Post
ahh thanks i'll give that a look

only had it a month and it's a 'pain in the arse' car so far
To make sure that it is not the diversity antenna amp, unplug the antenna cable (round connector on the left of the diversity antenna amp) and plug in a thin single strand insulated wire about 30-50 cmr long into the center socket. Do not short out the center pin to the outside of the connector. Once you have done that, check the radio reception. If the radio reception has improved then most likely the diversity antenna amp is fine. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 10:11 PM   #5
Pingman
Rep

Quote:
To make sure that it is not the diversity antenna amp, unplug the antenna cable (round connector on the left of the diversity antenna amp) and plug in a thin single strand insulated wire about 30-50 cmr long into the center socket. Do not short out the center pin to the outside of the connector. Once you have done that, check the radio reception. If the radio reception has improved then most likely the diversity antenna amp is fine. Good luck.
ok, cool.

Is that this circled connector? (this is my actual diversity amplifier module)

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2018, 10:27 PM   #6
slupie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
ok, cool.

Is that this circled connector? (this is my actual diversity amplifier module)

Yes it is
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 11:26 AM   #7
Elmerfox
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 325XI Wagon

Slupie, I am new to this e90post but have been researching the hect out of poor FM/AM reception and it has been driving me nuts for over a month....first I lost power to the rear wiper, glass hatch and full hatchback levers and could not open, spent 4 weeks trying to fix myself, finally found a way to manually open the glass, popped open the spoiler and found broken wires. repaired them all and all power back to hatch and was hopeful the radio was back, nope!!....this is exactly what I was looking for. ....I have pulled the spoiler off my wagon 10 times now since trying to see what is going on, all FOB controls work fine and I know the diversity antenna runs that as well as the Radio reception. I cleaned the Diversity board, checked all connections, inside the box all looked incredibly clean and dry.....in the back of home stereos I have always just stuck a wire in the antenna hole to get reception, until I saw your post I spaced that....stuck a wire into the antenna cable coming from the radio that plugs into the Diversity and boom, reception is perfect. Above you say if reception is good when doing this "then you know the Diversity Amp is fine"? How come? if pugged into the Diversity Antenna I get no stations....but plugging in a small short wire all comes in great. Wouldn't that mean the Diversity Antenna is not doing its job? FOB works but no radios stations? Please help....my first thought was to buy a used one and problem solved until I read your post.. Please help, please!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 11:51 AM   #8
Elmerfox
Registered
Rep

Side note, what are the ribbon like strips that are "bolted" to the hatch hinges, both are broken, is that some kind of ground or electronic ribbon that takes part in the Antenna?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 03:01 AM   #9
imoutsourced
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i e91

Hi it sounds like you need a new antenna
Appreciate 1
peksii0.00
      03-22-2020, 04:26 AM   #10
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmerfox View Post
Side note, what are the ribbon like strips that are "bolted" to the hatch hinges, both are broken, is that some kind of ground or electronic ribbon that takes part in the Antenna?
they are ground straps. The nuts holding the amplifier in place is the ground point for the amplifier so if the ribbon cables are completely broken you will have a crappy ground through the hatch hinges.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 10:31 AM   #11
peksii
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325i

E91Poor radio signal

Quote:
Slupie, I am new to this e90post but have been researching the hect out of poor FM/AM reception and it has been driving me nuts for over a month....first I lost power to the rear wiper, glass hatch and full hatchback levers and could not open, spent 4 weeks trying to fix myself, finally found a way to manually open the glass, popped open the spoiler and found broken wires. repaired them all and all power back to hatch and was hopeful the radio was back, nope!!....this is exactly what I was looking for. ....I have pulled the spoiler off my wagon 10 times now since trying to see what is going on, all FOB controls work fine and I know the diversity antenna runs that as well as the Radio reception. I cleaned the Diversity board, checked all connections, inside the box all looked incredibly clean and dry.....in the back of home stereos I have always just stuck a wire in the antenna hole to get reception, until I saw your post I spaced that....stuck a wire into the antenna cable coming from the radio that plugs into the Diversity and boom, reception is perfect. Above you say if reception is good when doing this "then you know the Diversity Amp is fine"? How come? if pugged into the Diversity Antenna I get no stations....but plugging in a small short wire all comes in great. Wouldn't that mean the Diversity Antenna is not doing its job? FOB works but no radios stations? Please help....my first thought was to buy a used one and problem solved until I read your post.. Please help, please!
Hi All,

I Am new to this forum, but I have got just the same symptons.I fixed already a cable but still have poor signal. The Amplifier seems to bee in good condition and additionally when i connect a small cable to the coaxial connector the signal gets better. So is the amp dead or is the problem somewhere else? Did you manage to sort this out?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 07:51 PM   #12
Pingman
Rep

Quote:
Anyone have a photo of this?

Wonder I am missing them.

Would this affect FOB operation if missing? As my Fob works fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 07:55 PM   #13
Pingman
Rep

Quote:
Going back a way here, I did this and got radio reception. Unsure how it proves diversity is fine though.

The problem seems to be the odd voltages going to the diversity but I have no idea where the source of the wires is.

The voltage drop is before the tailgate as tracing the wiring in to the boot it already has odd voltages.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 07:33 AM   #14
slupie
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Going back a way here, I did this and got radio reception. Unsure how it proves diversity is fine though.

The problem seems to be the odd voltages going to the diversity but I have no idea where the source of the wires is.

The voltage drop is before the tailgate as tracing the wiring in to the boot it already has odd voltages.
I don't know but it fixed my radio reception until I was able to fix the wiring loom in the rubber boot on the right. Might have been that by unplugging the antenna connector from the diversity antenna it was bypassing it completely and just using the antenna cable as a regular antenna.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 03:55 PM   #15
peksii
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peksii View Post
Hi All,

I Am new to this forum, but I have got just the same symptons.I fixed already a cable but still have poor signal. The Amplifier seems to bee in good condition and additionally when i connect a small cable to the coaxial connector the signal gets better. So is the amp dead or is the problem somewhere else? Did you manage to sort this out?
Hi! I diagnosted the vehicle with INPA and found information that the DC Voltage Antenna Diversity 0. What could that mean?

I fixed already one cable at rubber boot, and now i can read out voltages between 4-11,8 at the pins.

Last edited by peksii; 02-08-2021 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 12:23 PM   #16
peksii
Registered
Rep

Diversity antenna ok, still no reception

Hi all, in case you would have any tips, i'd appreciate it! I managed to get a working diversity module and the reception was as poor as before - also the problem lies not in the module. After i installed my old module, the radio started working suddenly great for short periode of time but it is getting worse again. Could the coaxial connector in CCC be the problem or other guesses?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 08:44 PM   #17
Elmerfox
Registered
Rep

OK, Happy New Year...sorry to reply to this old post but I found my own post while digging for a solution...have exhausted so many hours on now both my FOBs just stopped working. found two broken wires in the right boot, repaired, did nothing. Stereo seems fine whereas I did Have reception problems prior. I pulled the inside liner out and all wires in roof and headed down towards the battery are intact. fuses all are ok, gear shift indicator light is on, central locking and all doors work properly. key fobs both stopped working at the same time....did buy a new battery but have no re-soldered, did hold it up to the contact points and pushed buttons with no success. could it have lost contact meaning does it needed to be paired, is that even a thing? the Diversity antenna seems to be fine, clean, radio stations all comes in, etc.....what am I missing? Do I dare try a new/used Diversity Antenna? do I solder a new battery on the FOB.....what are the chances both died the same day, doubt it....could a wire have failed / broke somewhere else? are there other tested I can try? Does Nappa have a frequency FOB tester? Advanced Auto used to but does not anymore...this is driving me crazy, having to open the car with the manual key....plus I am a DIYer and have been able to take on just about anything but this has me on a cliff....PLEASE HELP!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 11:31 AM   #18
jschnelk
Rep
Drives: 2017 & 2009 Alpine White Wagon

Quote:
OK, Happy New Year...sorry to reply to this old post but I found my own post while digging for a solution...have exhausted so many hours on now both my FOBs just stopped working. found two broken wires in the right boot, repaired, did nothing. Stereo seems fine whereas I did Have reception problems prior. I pulled the inside liner out and all wires in roof and headed down towards the battery are intact. fuses all are ok, gear shift indicator light is on, central locking and all doors work properly. key fobs both stopped working at the same time....did buy a new battery but have no re-soldered, did hold it up to the contact points and pushed buttons with no success. could it have lost contact meaning does it needed to be paired, is that even a thing? the Diversity antenna seems to be fine, clean, radio stations all comes in, etc.....what am I missing? Do I dare try a new/used Diversity Antenna? do I solder a new battery on the FOB.....what are the chances both died the same day, doubt it....could a wire have failed / broke somewhere else? are there other tested I can try? Does Nappa have a frequency FOB tester? Advanced Auto used to but does not anymore...this is driving me crazy, having to open the car with the manual key....plus I am a DIYer and have been able to take on just about anything but this has me on a cliff....PLEASE HELP!!!
I am dealing with a similar issue. I replaced my diversity amp and all worked fine for about a month. Now the fobs will only work if the rear hatch glass is 1/4 to all the way open. Once it closes beyond that point the fobs no longer work. Thinking I may have a near short in a wire that is getting "pinched" once the hatch closes. Going to try to investigate this weekend if the temperature is above 15 degrees here in Michigan.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 03:21 PM   #19
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 eDrive 40 mSport

Garage List
Quote:
Both of mine are broken as well, which may be the source of the problems I'm having with my diversity module. Anyone know the PN for these strips?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 05:32 AM   #20
KalevE
Estonia
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 325i RWD

Garage List
Had a similar problem on my E92. If you have ANY LED bulbs installed, take them out/turn off and try again.

For me it was the angel eye LED bulbs that PO had installed. Swapped them with new ones and no issues.
Appreciate 0