E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Transmission Shift Solenoid Replacement

09-16-2020, 06:53 PM   #1
mchez
Adding up the cost of the Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Garage List
2011 E90 335i  [0.00]
Transmission Shift Solenoid Replacement

Hey all

I've got an '11 335i E90 and been having some shifting issues lately (ZF auto). When the transmission is cold the shifts between 2-3 and 4-5 are horrible. Shifts like someone is using a hammer in there. The problem is even worse in manual mode, but gets slightly better when the trans has warmed up. All other shifts are fine and it only happens on the upshifts.

Yesterday when shifting 2-3 in auto mode under moderate throttle the trans slipped between the shift and finally went into 3rd (when the fluid was warm).

Been looking into it and it's looking like I need new shift solenoids (mechatronic solenoids) and found the ones I think I need for $350 for a kit if I were to do it myself, but I have limited mechanical ability and would prefer to take it somewhere to have it done. But BMW being BMW, no shop around here (Washington DC area) wants to replace just the solenoids. They instead want to replace the entire valve body at the cost of $3100 for just the part which I am obviously not doing.

Has anyone had a shop replace just the solenoids? I'm thinking it shouldn't be more than a grand out the door with the solenoids but I'm getting quoted $5K from the dealer and $3900 from indy shops.

To add- I had the trans fluid, pan, filter, and mechatronic sleeve replaced about 20K miles ago and am now at 111K miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 07:47 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchez View Post
Hey all

I've got an '11 335i E90 and been having some shifting issues lately (ZF auto). When the transmission is cold the shifts between 2-3 and 4-5 are horrible. Shifts like someone is using a hammer in there. The problem is even worse in manual mode, but gets slightly better when the trans has warmed up. All other shifts are fine and it only happens on the upshifts.

Yesterday when shifting 2-3 in auto mode under moderate throttle the trans slipped between the shift and finally went into 3rd (when the fluid was warm).

Been looking into it and it's looking like I need new shift solenoids (mechatronic solenoids) and found the ones I think I need for $350 for a kit if I were to do it myself, but I have limited mechanical ability and would prefer to take it somewhere to have it done. But BMW being BMW, no shop around here (Washington DC area) wants to replace just the solenoids. They instead want to replace the entire valve body at the cost of $3100 for just the part which I am obviously not doing.

Has anyone had a shop replace just the solenoids? I'm thinking it shouldn't be more than a grand out the door with the solenoids but I'm getting quoted $5K from the dealer and $3900 from indy shops.

To add- I had the trans fluid, pan, filter, and mechatronic sleeve replaced about 20K miles ago and am now at 111K miles.
You need to find the right shop
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2020, 10:16 PM   #3
Tunafish
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i N55

Few questions, did the issues right after the work done 20k ago? Did you pull any codes to come to the conclusion that the solenoid needed replace? What fluid did the shop use to fill?

The service manual does state to replace the valve body and TCM if solenoid were bad, but you should be throwing a code for that. I believe this is to cover the shops butt, they dont want to charge to fix an issue just so it doesnt fix it or only temporarily fixes it.

If you are not throwing a code, i would start new fluid (Valvoline Max life or the ZF/BMW crap) and add in some Lubegard 19610 Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx (stuff works wonders); this is as long as they didnt mess something up doing sleeve and pan replacement.

I added the ZF manual and ZF little quick hits with torque specs if you are feeling itchy to give it a go. This should get you there.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf ZF transmission.pdf (6.39 MB, 249 views)
File Type: pdf zf transmission1.pdf (1.44 MB, 110 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2020, 06:20 AM   #4
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Call transmission shops and ask if they work on the ZF 6HP. It is used in many cars other than BMWs. If they do, then ask about the solenoids.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 12:53 AM   #5
mchez
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
You need to find the right shop
That's what I'm thinking
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 01:06 AM   #6
mchez
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunafish View Post
Few questions, did the issues right after the work done 20k ago? Did you pull any codes to come to the conclusion that the solenoid needed replace? What fluid did the shop use to fill?

The service manual does state to replace the valve body and TCM if solenoid were bad, but you should be throwing a code for that. I believe this is to cover the shops butt, they dont want to charge to fix an issue just so it doesnt fix it or only temporarily fixes it.

If you are not throwing a code, i would start new fluid (Valvoline Max life or the ZF/BMW crap) and add in some Lubegard 19610 Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx (stuff works wonders); this is as long as they didnt mess something up doing sleeve and pan replacement.

I added the ZF manual and ZF little quick hits with torque specs if you are feeling itchy to give it a go. This should get you there.
Sorry for the delayed response; I've been out of town and thought I had email alerts on for the thread...

Issues did not start immediately after going to the shop. I've never been happy with the way the car has shifted since I got it over 3 years and 40K miles ago. But the problem is getting worse and I would like to fix it before something severe happens.

No idea what the shop used when putting in new fluid as I don't have the invoice next to me ATM, but I suspect it was BMW fluid. What I'm thinking I might do is ask a transmission shop to overhaul the valve body. I understand that replacing the valve body is the preferred route, but man that $3100 part is a hard pill to swallow. For that money I could put it as a down payment for a F30 340i I've been looking at...but I love the E90 so much!

I don't have the confidence to do any of this myself as I don't have the tools or the patience for it. Maybe if it wasn't my daily I'd be more inclined to work on it myself...

Thanks for the info and for the manuals. They're helping me piece this whole thing together!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 01:07 AM   #7
mchez
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smass View Post
Call transmission shops and ask if they work on the ZF 6HP. It is used in many cars other than BMWs. If they do, then ask about the solenoids.
A trans shop is probably the best move. Going to start calling around and seeing what they say.
Appreciate 0