E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Infuriating errors with an E91

10-15-2021, 06:16 AM   #1
TedIsBoosted
Rep
Drives: 335i

Infuriating errors with an E91

Hello all,

A family member has a E91 320D 2006.

Recently he took it to a garage for the yearly test, and the FRM module had failed : no angel lights.

They bought a new FRM and fried the DME/DDE in the process. They ended up replacing it.

Anyways fast forward to now.

There are some very weird bugs going on.

I’ve had it plugged into ISTA - I’ve also flashed the FRM + CAS (read write in NCSEXPERT) just to confirm either module isn’t bricked.

Anyways.

The two rear windows don’t go down or up. With their own self controls still don’t work. Drivers controls don’t work.

The rear tail lid glass doesn’t go up (E91 life) I’ve checked on ISTA via the JBE module (I think it was this one) and you can see the button being pressed, I also clicked trigger component and it opened the glass for me. (Doesn’t need a new button)

The air fan has just gone, all of the buttons work, but the fan just doesn’t blow at all. On minimum or maximum, doesn’t matter. I’ve checked for recall (blower motor)

Rear windscreen wiper has also stopped working.

And the newest one as of yesterday, both batteries “mysteriously died”

Anyways onto my diagnostics this far, incase anyone has a better idea.

I plugged into ISTA and pulled codes (don’t have them saved at the moment. But more less)

Glow plug 1-4
Heated fuel filter
Connection to IHKA CAS error
And some other errors todo with CAS and JBE (I’ll grab them again soon)

Anyways. First thing I did was check when the battery was last replaced.

I noticed in ISTA it had never been changed, but the battery was changed (no IBS) this car so I updated and registered the new battery that was changed about 2 weeks prior.

I then tried resetting the codes and they all popped up quite quickly again.

The car runs fine at idle and drives around with no problem.

The rear tailgate glass (checked the boot is closed : light off) still doesn’t work with button.
Rear wiper nope
The rear defroster does work
Fan does not work
Keys now do not unlock and lock car

I opened the boot and checked right wiring loom (the one that goes to diversity module) and under the rubber seal only one wire (blue-red) is split.

Anyone got ideas ?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 12:08 PM   #2
TedIsBoosted
Rep

Bump, anyone ?

Diversity module cable had cut. So fixed unlock and lock now. But still other issues
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 03:04 PM   #3
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

My e91 had like 3 ripped wires in that loom that weren’t visible until I tugged each wire and they came loose.
This locked the hatch glass, stopped the wiper from working and I think the hatch didn’t open either.

Have you visually checked the blower motor wiring?
I think there’s a fuse for it too.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 03:13 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedIsBoosted View Post
... E91 320D 2006... newest one as of yesterday, both batteries “mysteriously died” [BOTH Batteries? Please clarify what battery, WHERE? Does 320D have TWO 12V Batteries? Do you mean neither Remote Key worked, and you assumed the Remote Key battery "died"?]
Anyways onto my diagnostics this far, incase anyone has a better idea.
I plugged into ISTA and pulled codes (don’t have them saved at the moment. But more less)

Glow plug 1-4
Heated fuel filter
Connection to IHKA CAS error
And some other errors todo with CAS and JBE (I’ll grab them again soon)

Please provide ALL Fault Codes; just save ScreenPrint of ISTA screen showing "Fault Memory" in all Modules (Press "Display Fault Memory" button at bottom-right of Screen for Control Unit Tree or Control Unit List.
[Current Issues(??):]
[1] The rear tailgate glass (checked the boot is closed : light off) still doesn’t work with button.
[2] Rear wiper nope
[3] The rear defroster does work
[4] Fan does not work
[5] Keys now do not unlock and lock car

I opened the boot and checked right wiring loom (the one that goes to diversity module) and under the rubber seal only one wire (blue-red) is split...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedIsBoosted View Post
Bump, anyone ?
Diversity module cable had cut. So fixed unlock and lock now. But still other issues
I presume your 2nd post means issue [5] resolved and both remote keys NOW work?
"Diversity Module cable had cut" means what?
Was one of its wires (supply/ ground/ signal?) broken at the Tailgate Hinge Plane, and if so which wire(s) and did you inspect for other broken wires?

Your issues: 1, 2, 5 ALL COULD be broken wires in Tailgate Loom at hinge plane, due to repeated flexion, which is COMMON in E91.

The Rear Window motors are controlled & Powered via the JBE Module. Check Fuses F62 & F64. See Below.

The Blower Motor is controlled by BOTH IHKA Module & JBE. For starters, check fuse F67. If you need a Fuse Chart for 2006 E91, See two pages attached to NEXT Post.

You indicate you have ISTA? Do you ALSO have INPA installed? Do you need suggestions on what screens to view, how to view them, or HOW to use ISTA to view wiring diagrams, component locations, etc.? See the attached INPA Tutorial Quickstart for procedure on HOW to save and attach ScreenPrints. Works SAME for ISTA.

I would BEGIN by viewing, Saving ScreenPrints, and posting ScreenPrints here, of ALL Fault Codes in all modules. Then, for all fault codes in JBE Module or IHKA Module, Click on the Fault Code Line in the "Fault Memory" screen and view/ save/ post the Fault Description Tab, and Fault Details Tab that provide further information on each fault code.

If you have any questions about specific steps to do any of the above, please let me know and I will provide detailed steps.

You can view wiring diagrams, such as the "Power Window Outputs" SSP wiring diagram by simply selecting:
1) Vehicle Management Menu (top row);
2) Troubleshooting submenu (2nd row);
3) Text Search Tab (3rd row);
4) in "Search string" box, enter "Power Window Outputs"; you will see SSP wiring diagram; Enjoy

George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf INPA Tutorial Quickstart.pdf (682.2 KB, 32 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 03:18 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Fuse Chart, 2 pages from Bentley; E9x PRIOR to 3/1/2007

Attached are two ScreenPrints from Bentley Manual showing 2006 Fuse Chart; same for 2007 to 3/1/2007 build date.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 04:57 PM   #6
TedIsBoosted
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
My e91 had like 3 ripped wires in that loom that weren’t visible until I tugged each wire and they came loose.
This locked the hatch glass, stopped the wiper from working and I think the hatch didn’t open either.

Have you visually checked the blower motor wiring?
I think there’s a fuse for it too.
Hello, I did check the wires and they all seem fine.

It gets weird, because on ISTA in the ECU Pull Function on the JBE

If I activate the tail lid glass it opens ???

It also registers the button is there.

Same with wiper.

Is the DTC codes.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 05:02 PM   #7
TedIsBoosted
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
I presume your 2nd post means issue [5] resolved and both remote keys NOW work?
"Diversity Module cable had cut" means what?
Was one of its wires (supply/ ground/ signal?) broken at the Tailgate Hinge Plane, and if so which wire(s) and did you inspect for other broken wires?

Your issues: 1, 2, 5 ALL COULD be broken wires in Tailgate Loom at hinge plane, due to repeated flexion, which is COMMON in E91.

The Rear Window motors are controlled & Powered via the JBE Module. Check Fuses F62 & F64. See Below.

The Blower Motor is controlled by BOTH IHKA Module & JBE. For starters, check fuse F67. If you need a Fuse Chart for 2006 E91, See two pages attached to NEXT Post.

You indicate you have ISTA? Do you ALSO have INPA installed? Do you need suggestions on what screens to view, how to view them, or HOW to use ISTA to view wiring diagrams, component locations, etc.? See the attached INPA Tutorial Quickstart for procedure on HOW to save and attach ScreenPrints. Works SAME for ISTA.

I would BEGIN by viewing, Saving ScreenPrints, and posting ScreenPrints here, of ALL Fault Codes in all modules. Then, for all fault codes in JBE Module or IHKA Module, Click on the Fault Code Line in the "Fault Memory" screen and view/ save/ post the Fault Description Tab, and Fault Details Tab that provide further information on each fault code.

If you have any questions about specific steps to do any of the above, please let me know and I will provide detailed steps.

You can view wiring diagrams, such as the "Power Window Outputs" SSP wiring diagram by simply selecting:
1) Vehicle Management Menu (top row);
2) Troubleshooting submenu (2nd row);
3) Text Search Tab (3rd row);
4) in "Search string" box, enter "Power Window Outputs"; you will see SSP wiring diagram; Enjoy

George
Hello George, I have checked all the fuses and they aren't blown.

Ive also checked "Power Window Outputs" but the rear tail lid wiring isn't showing. Weird.

If you read my above post you can see my weird find with ISTA. I have also attached the error codes.

The only wire to diversity module I could see was the BLUE/RED attached the diagram which connects the power to CAS.

So confusing.

I dont understand how I can ISTA manually activate the rear wiper but not pump motor (ISTA sees the tail lid button press and closed and wiper activation)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 01:42 PM   #8
TedIsBoosted
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0