E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Oil Cooler Bypass

11-08-2021, 11:06 AM   #1
Akaky
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90 N54

Oil Cooler Bypass

Good morning all -

I have a 2009 335i N54 with an aftermarket oil cooler. The other day just as I pulled into the drive way and turned the car off - I saw oil puddling under my car. More than a drip but less than a gush. It was under the passenger wheel well. Further inspection leads me to believe that the oil cooler line has ruptured. It feels like it has been shredded.

Long story short - Can I bypass the oil cooler (both stock and aftermarket) by removing the lines and plugging the bottom of the OFH with screw plugs.

Basically I need to drive it until I can have the aftermarket hoses replaced and am looking for a simple temporary fix.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 11:25 AM   #2
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

you'll need to loop those lines back.
when the thermostat opens it will cut off flow to the other passages.
dead heading those hoses will result in oil not flowing in the top end, and probably pop a hose.
if you're replacing the lines cut them and use some barbed fittings to make a 180 and hook them together.
it will be ugly and I wouldn't trust it long term, but get you by for a time.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #3
kazbek1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Out of curiosity, did you mount the cooler in front of the passenger wheel? Also, are you using just normal braided nylon stainless steel hoses?

My '07 335i didn't come with a factory oil cooler so I had to get an updated oil filter housing and retrofitted an aftermarket oil cooler behind the kidney grills. Twice in a matter of a month after install, the driver side line ruptured and sprayed oil all over my engine bay. I ended up removing the whole thing and went back to the stock oil filter housing. Curious to see how soild stainless steel lines would work instead of nylon.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 10:25 AM   #4
Akaky
Registered
Rep

Thanks - I was wondering if you could just replace the hoses coming out of the bottom with screw plugs, but didn't know if the oil had to circulate through the hoses which. If that is the case a loop in the hoses would be necessary. I will update the thread when I fix it.

It is a Dinan oil cooler and the hoses are not sold separately. I am having to remove the old hoses and have them shipped off to be replicated by another hose and fitting company. This may take days/weeks and I need to be able to drive my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #5
Akaky
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbek1 View Post
Out of curiosity, did you mount the cooler in front of the passenger wheel? Also, are you using just normal braided nylon stainless steel hoses?

My '07 335i didn't come with a factory oil cooler so I had to get an updated oil filter housing and retrofitted an aftermarket oil cooler behind the kidney grills. Twice in a matter of a month after install, the driver side line ruptured and sprayed oil all over my engine bay. I ended up removing the whole thing and went back to the stock oil filter housing. Curious to see how soild stainless steel lines would work instead of nylon.
The lines are PTFE covered in nylon - or that's what they look like. It isn't easy to get them off. Car has to be lifted. These were supposed to be virtually indestructible but I think they rubbed something sharp down below/next to the engine and it just wore a hole in them.
Appreciate 0