E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > HiFi 07 e93 US no sound

02-18-2022, 12:16 PM   #1
Snail
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW e93 328i

HiFi 07 e93 US no sound

I'm having an issue with sound in my e93. My sound totally cut-off about 3 weeks ago. I've always had issues with sound with colder Florida weather (45-60°F or 7-16°C). The LCD display on the stereo headunit has been mostly dead but it is perfectly readable in colder weather. Despite the dead display I was able to change channels, and connect to blue tooth via an aux-to-Bluetooth adapter for music I kept hidden in the center console. On colder days it would take a few minutes before sound would begin to play so I figured the stereo headunit might’ve been the cause.

Image of my original stereo:

I replaced my stereo with an aftermarket model that had features I wanted including apple car play and still no sound. I checked fuse 8, 11, 23, and 34 none blown, maybe a little aged but no big deal.

I checked the Lear PL2 HiFi amplifier and didn’t see any sign of water damage although its possible considering I found water near my battery compartment a few months back (Florida rain is no joke). Anyways I’m storing my stock HiFi amp in a desiccator hoping that if it’s a moisture issue it’ll be taken care of after 2 days in the desiccator.

The MOST module (?)

A module found near the amp

Unconnected wires near the amp I think might be for Logic 7 or CIC models

I’ve also had an issue with remote range. I thought it was a battery issue. I don’t have comfort access so I soldered a new battery onto the remote. With the old stereo the range didn’t change at all I had to stand as close as a meter from the driver-side door to lock/unlock the car. With the new stereo it seems like that range increased by 3 meters. I don’t know if this is relevant to the sound system but it was odd nonetheless and I figured worth mentioning.

Sorry about the wordiness of my post.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 01:19 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

And your question is ? Or do you have one?

Inputs for the Hi Fi amp are suppose to be 5 volt differential signals.
Essentially reduced speaker outs.

single ended common ground outputs of aftermarket head units
may not work .

Decreased range for the Fob could mean the Car Battery is low or the Diversity Module
and it's connections are starting to go bad.
A weak battery might be part of the audio problem to.

Last edited by ctuna; 02-18-2022 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
Snail15.00
      02-18-2022, 02:03 PM   #3
Snail
Rep

My bad, ctuna. I got lost in my own post. I'm just not sure what's going on. I'm getting 12.5 V from the car battery and 14.7 V while the engine is running. I'm guessing the Diversity Module is the module located next to the amp in the e93? I posted a picture of it since I found it in the same compartment. Is there a simple method to test the diversity module? Also, is there a method to check the inputs volts for the HiFi amp? If so can I diagnose with a voltmeter? I do not have an oscilloscope. I'm not well versed in electrical matters so pardon my confusion if I'm missing something completely obvious here. Thanks for the input so far, all information is valuable.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 05:03 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

What do you know about your aftermarket head unit?
How do you have it hooked up?
If you are using single ended RCA out's of the typical aftermarket head
unit it is not likely to work.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=head+unit

Yep that is the diversity module for and E93 which is different for
the convertible than the other chassis . Also the convertible has different antenna's for roof
up and roof down. But they look way different on the other chassis.

There have been threads on the E93 antenna setup on the general forum
before.

You use to be able to get the technical info on the product online but now you need Ista D for
the same info.
Water Drains
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...hlight=battery
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1566005
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1680103

Antenna system is complicated for e93 since there are both top up and top down antenna's
and the wire harness for those get's exercised as much as you put it up and down.
Good idea to read those water drain articles as the drain system is also more complicated
and subject to breakage.

All cars made up to an including 2009 have what is called prewiring . That mean the wiring is
already there for uninstalled modules . Like CDC , Sat and IBOC (see the E93 pdf for the full list)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ST701 E93 Complete Vehicle_WB_web.pdf (2.83 MB, 292 views)
File Type: pdf E9x References, 220216 Revision.pdf (232.4 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by ctuna; 02-18-2022 at 05:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
Snail15.00
      02-20-2022, 02:09 AM   #5
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

you aftermarket headunit will not drive your e93 diversity amplifier.
you better to replace factory radio with updated version and look for Android which can be integrated with factory radio.
The unused cable with MOST is CD-changer preparation wiring.
Snail15.00
      02-20-2022, 02:23 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

If you have an aftermarket head unit you might want to consider and
aftermarket amp that will interface with it.

Also the display problem is common you can send the OEM radio in for repair or
get a kit to replace the display.
Appreciate 1
Snail15.00
      02-24-2022, 03:47 PM   #7
Snail
Rep

Thanks for the responses guy, and apologies for my late reply. ctuna, I'll be digging into those threads you linked. You've been mega helpful man. ptpending, thanks for that I'm always a little thrown off by unconnected cables. I should've included the aftermarket head unit I bought. I went a little cheapo and picked up an Eonon GA9465 from the manufacturers website. I figured it was a plug-and-play type device I figured it would be okay without an amp upgrade. I saw this post in these forums suggesting relocating the original head unit to the trunk/boot to maintain audio quality since the Eonon head unit isn't exactly known for sound quality. However, being hard of hearing I might not even consider this if I can't pick up any difference in output quality. Again friends, sorry about my late communication here and thank you for taking the time to make suggestions and answer questions!

Edit: wanted to add, I tried another amplifier. Didn't do the job. Either that amp is bad also, or maybe issue is elsewhere--like the battery as previously suggested by ctuna. Only thing that bothers me is that I'm getting what seems to be decent voltage readings. I think I will sit on this issue for a while. I will try bench testing the amps with a variable power supply I intend on purchasing.

Last edited by Snail; 02-25-2022 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 04:43 PM   #8
Snail
Rep

My audio problems have been resolved with the replacement of the diversity module (image attached). For about a day my key fob functionality return to normal and I was able to lock and unlock my e93 top up or down before being unable to do so a day later. Sorry to bump up an old thread, but since this did resolve my sound issue I thought it would be necessary in assisting others in the future with this issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0