E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > DIY: How to setup BMW Standard Tools 2.12 w/Windows 7 x86 (32-bit)

11-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Arrow DIY: How to setup BMW Standard Tools 2.12 w/Windows 7 x86 (32-bit)

Now that I've successfully coded my 2009 E92, I want to share what I've learned with the community. My goal was to simply code my car as described in xxxjecxxx's NCS Expert DIY which can be found here (shout out to Junior for the great DIY! ):
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451145

This DIY describes how to capture the latest English metric INPA scripts and configuration files from INPA 5.0.2 and manually integrate them along with SP Daten 50.2 for a fully functional installation of BMW Standard Tools 2.12. This approach is necessary for 3 reasons. 1) BMW Standard Tools includes INPA, but it does not contain any INPA scripts or configuration files. 2) The latest INPA scripts are in German which is why we preserve the English scripts from INPA 5.0.2. 3) The latest SP Daten files are German metric and do not work properly with INPA 5.0.2 and friends.

BMW Standard Tools 2.12 includes INPA 5.0.6 for diagnostics, NCS-Expert 4.0.1 for coding, WinKFP 5.3.1 for flash reprogramming, and a host of other BMW Group plant support tools. The software was not intended to be used by your neighborhood BMW dealer. There is also a development release of BMW Standard Tools which includes PAFMaker, SWE-Generator, XBD-Generator, Muster-PABD, P-SGBD, etc. and supports Vector CAN interfaces. The development release is outside the scope of this DIY.

The software is complicated and requires a significant effort to understand. If you're technically astute, comfortable with Microsoft Windows administrative tasks, and want to learn to manually install the software and integrate the SP daten files on which it depends, this is the right DIY for you.

This DIY is not intended to be the "easy button." If you want a mixture of BMW software, third-party software and data files of unknown origins pre-configured for you because your in a rush to try your new cable, look elsewhere. There are even forum members who can assist you remotely for a "donation."

I am not an expert, nor did I provide the software. ECU coding and flash reprogramming come with inherent risks, there is always the possibility of catastrophic failure. Your car should always be attached to a microprocessor controlled charger that adapts to the cars current draw and supplies constant, clean power. (i.e. Don Schumacher Racing INC-700A) Please refer to the OSS applications documentation (page 8) for BMW Group recommended charger specifications:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...mentid=691959&

THIS DIY IS PROVIDED “AS IS” AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL I BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS DIY, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

If you understand the inherent risks and agree with the above disclaimer, proceed with caution.

TESTED USE CASES

INPA 5.0.6:
  • MSD80 / MSD81 fuel injector volume calibration
  • Register new battery and reset histogram
  • Read and clear MSD80 / MSD81 history memory
  • Display plant, dealer, and backup integration levels
  • Display UIF data for all control modules (module name and address, ZB number, VIN number, date of last flash)
  • Display gearbox control unit (TCU) analog values (engine/gearbox temperature, turbine speed, accelerator pedal angle, etc.)
NCS-Expert 4.0.1:
  • Battery retrofit (flooded to AGM); updated VO and default coded CAS
  • Enable digital speedometer
  • Enable fog lights to remain on when high beams are flashed
  • Disable door chime when ignition is off and key fob is inserted
  • E92 corner bulb delete
WinKFP 5.3.1:
  • Flash reprogramming of ZF 6HP21 TCU
Rheingold ISTA 3.40.30/3.41.10:
  • Leverages BMW Standard Tools 2.12 EDIABAS interface for vehicle diagnosis, no ISIS workshop server required (outside the scope of this DIY)

KNOWN LIMITATIONS

INPA
  • MEVD17.2 DME and N55 engine not supported, E90 German language development script required (outside the scope of this DIY)
  • DDE 7.3 and M57 engine not supported, E90 German language development script required (outside the scope of this DIY)
  • 2009+ electronic fuel pump control module (EKPM3) not supported (HW-NR 7276383), F30 German language development script required (outside the scope of this DIY)
  • GS40 DCT gearbox control unit (TCU) not supported, German language development script required (outside the scope of this DIY)
  • Language variant and version mismatch errors will be displayed and can be safely ignored. When you integrate the German metric ECU description files and group files from the SP Daten, the language variants do not match and the ECU description files are newer than anticipated.

This DIY was tested with Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (SP1) running on a circa 2008 Lenovo S10 netbook with a K+DCAN cable from one stop electronics.com. My netbook is used solely for coding and as such this DIY assumes that your computer is dedicated to this purpose as well.

I recommend starting with a fresh 32-bit Windows 7 installation in order to collect the necessary INPA 5.0.2 configuration files that you will need after installing BMW Standard Tools 2.12. I suggest disabling Windows Update automatic updates during the Windows 7 installation process. After entering your product key, the following screen will appear:

Select "Ask me later", this will prevent Windows 7 from automatically installing any updates.

If your installing from pre-SP1 Windows 7 media, I highly recommend that you manually install two Microsoft updates:

System Update Readiness Tool (KB947821):
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=3132

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (KB976932):
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=5842

During testing pre-SP1 Windows 7 no longer displayed a mouse pointer after successfully installing EDIABAS & WinKFP and rebooting the system.

INPA 5.0.2 can be found here:

INPA-EDIABAS full English Edition

Installation Guide

Follow steps 2 through 6 of the installation guide. During the EDIABAS & WinKFP install (step 3), select Windows XP (this is not mentioned in the installation guide.) For all other selections, accept the default and click Weiter which is German for "further."

The very first time you attempt to install EDIABAS & WinKFP (step 3), regsvr32 will fail to register two Windows ActiveX controls. This is normal, upon re-installation everything will work properly.

Click on OK and then click on the large red circle with a white X at the bottom of the screen to see the second regsvr32 error.

Click on OK to acknowledge the second error.

Press any key to exit the EDIABAS OBD setup program. Don't be concerned about any registry key warnings, this installation of EDIABAS will never be used.

When prompted to reboot, select Nein for "No" and then click on Beenden or "End" to exit the installation program. Go to Control Panel and uninstall the program.

Once you have uninstalled the program, reinstall it. On the second attempt, the ActiveX controls will register properly.

This time, select Ja for "Yes" and reboot.

Even with SP1 installed, on occasion the system will no longer display a mouse pointer after rebooting the system at this point. If this happens, depress the Windows logo key (on some keyboards it may have an icon of a house instead) to display the Start menu. Depress the right arrow key once and then depress Enter to initiate a proper shutdown. When powered back on, the system should have a functional mouse pointer.

Continue with steps 4-6 in the installation guide.

At the completion of step 5, the Windows Program Compatibility Assistant may appear. Click on "This program installed correctly."

At this point you could optionally install the latest EDIABAS/INPA update (ES-76) from FAL's EA-90X distribution. I don't recommend doing so as the latest INPA scripts are in German and not necessary for coding. Installation of the ES-76 update is outside of the scope of this DIY.

You now have the base INPA scripts and configuration files that you'll need to get the latest version of INPA (5.0.6) up and running. Copy the the INPA CFGDAT and SGDAT folders to removable media for safe keeping. They are located in C:\EC-APPS\INPA.

If your curious, INPA 5.0.2 is operable at this point. If you were to install the K+DCAN drivers from Windows Update, set the cable to COM1, etc. the battery and ignition clamps are working properly.

That's cool, but INPA 5.0.2 and friends are not totally compatible with the latest SP Daten files (i.e. 50.2), so let's move on to installing BMW Standard Tools 2.12.

A link to BMW Standard Tools 2.12 can be found in xxxjecxxx's NCS-Expert DIY (1st. post):
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451145

The NCS-Expert profiles are attached to this post:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...postcount=4476

SP Daten 50.2 can be found in this thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882353

Blow away your previous installation of Windows and start over with a fresh install. INPA 5.0.2 and friends made changes to the Windows registry, etc. Now that we have the two folders needed to bootstrap INPA 5.0.6, it's best to reinstall Windows. If your installing from pre-SP1 Windows 7 media, don't forget to install the System Update Readiness Tool (KB947821) and Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (KB976932.) In addition, because this will hopefully be your final re-installation of Windows I suggest that you manually install one additional Microsoft update:

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=40779

When the K+DCAN cable is initially plugged in, Windows will indicate that the device driver was not successfully installed.

Click on the white box circled above when it appears to change the driver update settings.

Click on "Change setting."

Select "Always install the best driver software from Windows Update" then click on "Save Changes."

Windows Update will install the latest FTDI drivers needed for the one stop electronics.com K+DCAN cable. Notice that the FTDI driver has defaulted to USB Serial Port COM3. You need to change this to COM1. Click on "Close."

Click on the Windows Start button to display the Start menu. In the Start Search box type the following command and depress Enter to launch Device Manager:

Code:
mmc devmgmt.msc

When Device Manager opens, click on the arrow to the left of "Ports (COM & LPT)" to expand the Ports device tree. Double-click on "USB Serial Port (COM3)" to open the device properties.

Click on the "Port Settings" tab and then click on the "Advanced" button to display the Advanced Settings for COM3.

Change the COM Port Number to COM1 and the Latency Timer to 1 msec and click "OK."

The USB Serial Port should be set to COM1. Close Device Manager.

Install BMW Standard Tools 2.12. Accept the defaults and click "Next."

When prompted to select additional tasks, de-select the "Execute backup and restore wizard" selections under Data backup. You don't have an existing installation of BMW Standard Tools to backup. Click "Next."

Click "OK" to acknowledge that the backup wizard has been deactivated.

When the Hardware Interface Settings screen appears, select "USB to serial adapter" then click "Next."

Click "Finish" to complete the BMW Standard Tools setup and restart your computer.

Please note: This section of the DIY could be improved for neophyte Windows users. It assumes that you understand command line syntax. In this context, X: denotes an unknown drive letter (i.e. the USB thumb drive that you saved your INPA CFGDAT and SGDAT folders to.) For example, if in Windows Explorer under Computer your USB thumb drive is denoted as Drive E:, then you should use E: instead.

Code:
C:\Users\808>copy E:\CFGDAT\*.ENG C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT /v
14 file(s) copied.
If you chose to store the CFGDAT folder in another folder named MyStuff, then you would have to include MyStuff in the source path.

Code:
C:\Users\808>copy E:\MYSTUFF\CFGDAT\*.ENG C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT /v
14 file(s) copied.
The drive letter and path to the source file(s) is dependent on where you stored the files.

Click on the Windows Start button to display the Start menu. In the Start Search box type the following command. Right click on the Windows Command Processor (cmd) under Programs and select Run as administrator.
Code:
cmd

When the User Account Control dialog box appears, select Yes to allow the Windows Command Processor to make changes to your computer.

Copy the Windows ActiveX control MSFLXGRD.OCX to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and manually register it.

Copy the Windows ActiveX control RICHTX32.OCX to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and manually register it.

Overwrite the INPA initialization file in the C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT folder with the INPA.INI from your saved CFGDAT folder.
Code:
C:\>copy X:\CFGDAT\INPA.INI C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT /v /y
1 file(s) copied.
Copy the INPA scripts and configuration files from your saved CFGDAT and SGDAT folders.

Code:
C:\>copy X:\CFGDAT\*.ENG C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT /v
14 file(s) copied.
C:\>copy X:\SGDAT\*.IPO C:\EC-APPS\INPA\SGDAT /v
468 file(s) copied.
C:\>copy X:\SGDAT\*.SRC C:\EC-APPS\INPA\SGDAT /v
11 file(s) copied.
C:\>copy X:\SGDAT\*.TXT C:\EC-APPS\INPA\SGDAT /v
2 file(s) copied.
Copy the group files from the SP Daten E89 folder to C:\EDIABAS\ECU.
Code:
C:\>copy X:\E89\ECU\*.GRP C:\EDIABAS\ECU /v
80 file(s) copied.
Import your daten files into WinKFP using this guide (steps 2-8):
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...4&d=1487104475

Create a C:\NCSEXPER\DATEN\E89 folder and copy the contents of the E89\DATEN folder into it.
Code:
C:\>mkdir C:\NCSEXPER\DATEN\E89
C:\>copy X:\E89\DATEN\*.* C:\NCSEXPER\DATEN\E89 /v
430 file(s) copied.
Copy the contents of the E89\SGDAT folder to C:\NCSEXPER\SGDAT.
Code:
C:\>copy X:\E89\SGDAT\*.* C:\NCSEXPER\SGDAT /v
224 file(s) copied.
Go to the E89\DATEN directory and execute the LADEN.BAT script.
Code:
C:\>cd X:\E89\DATEN
X:\E89\DATEN>laden.bat
You’ll receive errors at the end of the script due to the missing C:\EC-APPS\CARSERVER directory, ignore them.

Install the patched 32-bit NCS Expert from this thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832476

Example:

Code:
rename C:\NCSEXPER\BIN\NCSEXPER.EXE NCSEXPER.OLD
rename C:\NCSEXPER\CFGDAT\NCSEXPER.TXT NCSEXPER.GER
copy NCSEXPER.EXE C:\NCSEXPER\BIN /v
copy NCSEXPER.TXT C:\NCSEXPER\CFGDAT /v
Copy the NCS Expert profiles to the C:\NCSEXPER\PFL folder.

Example:

Code:
copy *.PFL C:\NCSEXPER\PFL /v
Your done, enjoy! If you found this DIY useful, please click on the Appreciate button at the bottom of this post.

Last edited by 808AWD325xi; 02-23-2017 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: broken link to BMW Standard Tools 2.12
      12-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
fmonteiro444
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M3 Competition

Garage List
Great write up. Screen shots should help a lot of people.

23 M3 Competition - Stock
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #3
PyroZona
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 e60 M5 - Carbon Schwarzmet

sinodownloads.com is in 1981!!

I've really been looking forward to doing some coding on my 2010 E60 M5, and was SO psyched when I found this awesome, well-written tutorial! Unfortunately, the 350517-inpa k+can.rar file that contains almost all the necessary files to follow the tutorial is evidently hosted on a server that resides somewhere around 30 YEARS IN THE PAST!! I say this because the download/transfer speed of the 563MB file from sinodownloads has been no faster than the 2400 baud (2.4kbps) AppleCat modem I had on my Apple IIe computer back in high school!

Does anyone have a faster solution of downloading this rather large file?? Maybe a torrent? Something? Cause at this rate, I could probably walk to wherever the file is being hosted, copy it to 1.4MB floppy disks and walk back home before a download from where it is currently completed and the files would be usable. Quite frustrating!

I'd be more than happy to host the .rar file on my DropBox and pm the download link to anyone who requested it, if I could just get the darn file! Maybe there's SOMEBODY ELSE reading this who also has tons of unused space on DropBox and could also do something like this?? Anybody? Possibly a better/faster solution than a torrent file that only has a few dedicated people seeding.....

Sorry for the rant, but everything above is (to the best of my knowledge) absolutely true and accurate...at least for me. Figured the chances are slim I'm the only one, but I could be wrong on that.

Any other speedier solution ideas? PLEASE?!?!?!
      12-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmonteiro444 View Post
Great write up. Screen shots should help a lot of people.
Thank you, it's my hope that this DIY will save folks a lot of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroZona View Post
I've really been looking forward to doing some coding on my 2010 E60 M5, and was SO psyched when I found this awesome, well-written tutorial! Unfortunately, the 350517-inpa k+can.rar file that contains almost all the necessary files to follow the tutorial is evidently hosted on a server that resides somewhere around 30 YEARS IN THE PAST!! I say this because the download/transfer speed of the 563MB file from sinodownloads has been no faster than the 2400 baud (2.4kbps) AppleCat modem I had on my Apple IIe computer back in high school!

Does anyone have a faster solution of downloading this rather large file?? Maybe a torrent? Something? Cause at this rate, I could probably walk to wherever the file is being hosted, copy it to 1.4MB floppy disks and walk back home before a download from where it is currently completed and the files would be usable. Quite frustrating!

I'd be more than happy to host the .rar file on my DropBox and pm the download link to anyone who requested it, if I could just get the darn file! Maybe there's SOMEBODY ELSE reading this who also has tons of unused space on DropBox and could also do something like this?? Anybody? Possibly a better/faster solution than a torrent file that only has a few dedicated people seeding.....

Sorry for the rant, but everything above is (to the best of my knowledge) absolutely true and accurate...at least for me. Figured the chances are slim I'm the only one, but I could be wrong on that.

Any other speedier solution ideas? PLEASE?!?!?!
Thank you, perhaps you can share your dropbox links?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 02:28 AM   #5
PyroZona
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 e60 M5 - Carbon Schwarzmet

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808AWD325xi View Post
Thank you, perhaps you can share your dropbox links?
I'd love to, but I need to have the complete file to upload to my DropBox in order to have a link to it. Can't really post a link to something that isn't there, ya know? And my download of it has now restarted 4 times at no better than 63% complete. *sigh*
      12-09-2013, 05:00 AM   #6
cryptomit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 320d 2012

Looks complicated, it can be done much easier I think. The standard tools 2.12 is a basic tool which must be installed as first. It works with Windows 7 32 and 64 bit. INPA can be download and can be just overwrote in C:\EC-APPS\INPA.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
Ilyas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pedestrian

Are INPA init and script files computer-specific? Is it possible just use those files from another computer other than re-installing windows?
I put NCSEXPER.TXT to the needed directory, but program is still in German, do I do something wrong?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyas View Post
Are INPA init and script files computer-specific? Is it possible just use those files from another computer other than re-installing windows?
I put NCSEXPER.TXT to the needed directory, but program is still in German, do I do something wrong?
The INPA scripts and configuration files are not operating system specific... you can probably do that, I can't say for sure as that's not what I tested.

I replaced both NCSEXPERT.EXE and NCSEXPERT.TXT, mine is in English.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
Ilyas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808AWD325xi View Post
The INPA scripts and configuration files are not operating system specific... you can probably do that, I can't say for sure as that's not what I tested.

I replaced both NCSEXPERT.EXE and NCSEXPERT.TXT, mine is in English.
Thank you for the write up and advice!
I installed software using your write-up, but with minor changes
1. Windows 7 Pro 64 instead of 32
2. I didn't have patience to download your archive with INPA/EDIABAS 5.0.2 and used one from Junior's DIY. Copied CFGDAT and SGDAT to USB flash.
3. I didn't have patience to download full 50.2 SP Daten, instead, I found E89 one (which is 4 times smaller) and used for my installation.
4. Did steps with installing cable driver, BMW Tools and copying CFGDAT-SGDAT for INPA and other files of SP Daten for E89 and NCSEXPER manipulations.
And.... INPA/NCSExpert didn't work =) NCS Expert said "Chassis is faulty" and throws an error if I try to load chassis again; INPA throwed another error.
Everything seemed fine, but something told me that probably SP-Daten weren't installed correct.
I used BMW coding tool to transfer SP-Daten files. Also, LADEN.BAT seemed strange to me. If I would run it in CMD it would give an error accessing NCEXPERT/BIN folder. Apparently, it was looking it on drive D (which I don't have). After fixing Laden.bat I ran it again.
INPA/NCEXPERT works fine since that! I don't know what exactly helped - BMW coding tool or fixed Laden.bat, but I'm glad that it worked out.
When I try to walk through menus E90 in INPA it throws errors about Language mismatch. But after clicking OK everything works fine.

Last edited by Ilyas; 12-10-2013 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
Ilyas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Could someone please send me a link for 51.1 SP-Daten file in PM?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #11
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
can someone zip and host these files so people don't have to create a vm/wipe hd for older 5.0.2 files?:

C:\>copy X:\CFGDAT\*.ENG C:\EC-APPS\INPA\CFGDAT /v
14 file(s) copied.
C:\>copy X:\SGDAT\*.IPO C:\EC-APPS\INPA\SGDAT /v
468 file(s) copied.
C:\>copy X:\SGDAT\*.SRC C:\EC-APPS\INPA\SGDAT /v
11 file(s) copied.
C:\>copy X:\SGDAT\*.TXT C:\EC-APPS\INPA\SGDAT /v
2 file(s) copied.

also here is official link to windows 7 home sp1 x86: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58996.iso

Last edited by shawntech; 12-12-2013 at 09:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyas View Post
When I try to walk through menus E90 in INPA it throws errors about Language mismatch. But after clicking OK everything works fine.
I should have mentioned that in the DIY, INPA will display language variant and version mismatch errors. They can be ignored.

Because the latest INPA scripts are available in German metric only, the DIY preserves the English metric scripts (*.IPO files) from INPA 5.0.2.

The latest SP Daten files are German metric. Thus when you integrate the German metric SGBD ECU description files (*.PRG) and group files (*.GRP) from the SP Daten, the language variants do not match.

This INPA screen shot indicates that the SGBD files are in German:

Likewise, this EGS analog values screen confirms that the INPA scripts are English metric as the temperatures displayed are in Cecilius:

Where it would be of concern is if you were to mix English imperial INPA scripts with a German metric Daten. Values would not be displayed properly in INPA.

Last edited by 808AWD325xi; 03-01-2014 at 02:01 PM.. Reason: added pictures and addtional information
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
I figured out the INPA language part, so never what is in quotes below. I cannot pull up the engine parameters in INPA like in post 1 though. I am guessing its because i have an n55. Does anyone know if there is a way to view engine parameters using INPA for N55?

"thanks for the great write up! i have the bmw toolpack version 2.11 installed. NCSEXPERT works fine, but INPA does not (v5.0.6). using the write up in this thread, i think i have successfully moved all of the 5.0.2 files into the 5.0.6 folders that is described in the first post. I have INPA working, but it's still in German. Does anyone know which file INPA uses to translate it into English? Is it the NCSEXPERT.TXT file?"

Last edited by houtan; 12-14-2013 at 05:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #14
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by houtan View Post
I cannot pull up the engine parameters in INPA like in post 1 though. I am guessing its because i have an n55. Does anyone know if there is a way to view engine parameters using INPA for N55?
That's correct, your DME is a MEVD172 as opposed to the MSD80 / MSD81 DME's in N54-based cars.

To the best of my knowledge, BMW never officially released INPA scripts for the N55. However, there are Fxx development scripts floating around on the Internet that include the MEVD172.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #15
houtan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.80]
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I'll search and try to find the correct scripts.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2013, 12:49 PM   #16
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3c6 View Post
also here is official link to windows 7 home sp1 x86: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58996.iso
Thanks you for sharing this link, the SP1 media works well and saves a lot of time.

Special note if you need OEM media:
The official Microsoft media images from Digital River are for the retail packaged media. If you currently have OEM licensed media, you'll have to modify a file within the ISO image prior to burning it to DVD so that your OEM product key can be activated online without having to call Microsoft. I used WinISO to edit the ISO image.

Replace the word "Retail" with "OEM" in the \sources\ei.cfg file.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #17
jc_bmw
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i E90

So I have Standard 2.12 installed with Inpa 5.00 and SP Daten 48.1.

How do I update INPA to 5.06 and SP Daten to 50.2?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 08:07 AM   #18
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_bmw View Post
So I have Standard 2.12 installed with Inpa 5.00 and SP Daten 48.1.

How do I update INPA to 5.06 and SP Daten to 50.2?
If Standard Tools 2.12 is installed and your running INPA 5.00, you have a version mismatch. Somehow you overwrote INPA 5.0.6 (which is included in Standard Tools 2.12) with an older version.

I suggest reinstalling using the download links and instructions within this DIY at which point you'll have INPA 5.0.6 and sp daten 50.2 installed.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #19
Javy
e92javy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M

I finally downloaded everything I need to get this going and saved it all on a USB drive. I am running windows XP though. How do I get windows 7?
Instagram- (javy_e92) 09 335i coupe / M package / Alpine White / Dinan Stage 2 / Alpina B3 Flash / Alufelgen SF71 / ST coils / Lux H8 / AFE Stage 2 intake / 6700k mtech HID / Performance trunk spoiler / Gloss black roof / CF interior wrap / PE Muffler Mod / ETS Charge pipe / Tial BOV / Cyba Quad Diffuser / Cyba Quad Black Chrome tips / Gloss black grills / AW reflectors / LED turn signals / Remote Key +
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #20
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javy View Post
I finally downloaded everything I need to get this going and saved it all on a USB drive. I am running windows XP though. How do I get windows 7?
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32-bit OEM is $99.99 from frys.com, download only OEM pricing starts at about $70.00 on other sites.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #21
Javy
e92javy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M

Damn! You think this will work with XP?
Instagram- (javy_e92) 09 335i coupe / M package / Alpine White / Dinan Stage 2 / Alpina B3 Flash / Alufelgen SF71 / ST coils / Lux H8 / AFE Stage 2 intake / 6700k mtech HID / Performance trunk spoiler / Gloss black roof / CF interior wrap / PE Muffler Mod / ETS Charge pipe / Tial BOV / Cyba Quad Diffuser / Cyba Quad Black Chrome tips / Gloss black grills / AW reflectors / LED turn signals / Remote Key +
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #22
808AWD325xi
Ballin' out of control.
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javy View Post
Damn! You think this will work with XP?
This DIY was tested with Windows 7 32-bit, I really can't say.
Appreciate 0