E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Intermittent alternator problem

08-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
Arnie69
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Intermittent alternator problem

I had experienced an intermittent problem whereby my 95k 330D would generate a bunch of error codes and go into limp mode. RACQ
replaced the battery on my second call out.

Took it to an indy BMW mechanic who wasn't able to diagnose and suggested taking it to BMW.

It happened again shortly thereafter and I lost total power this time. Very nearly conked out in a tunnel.

RACQ diagnosed a bad alternator.

Mechanic quoted $1500 to fit a new unit.

I got a second hand one and fitted for $400, including new serpentine belt. All back to normal now.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 10:16 PM   #2
BSG335
Driving in the slow lane
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie69 View Post
I had experienced an intermittent problem whereby my 95k 330D would generate a bunch of error codes and go into limp mode. RACQ

Took it to an indy BMW mechanic who wasn't able to diagnose and suggested taking it to BMW.

It happened again shortly thereafter and I lost total power this time. Very nearly conked out in a tunnel.

I got a second hand one and fitted for $400, including new serpentine belt. All back to normal now.
I have a similar problem - the Christmas lights effect on the dash with the different systems failing (or shutting off) one by one is typical of an alternator problem.

I haven't had time to fix mine. Been driving the family X3 instead but plan on getting it done this week. Genuine and OEM units are still expensive (usually $1000+ plus fitting).

Any advice in where to locate a good replacement unit for less is appreciated!

Edit to add: the problem would occur intermittently after a period of driving and probably some heat soak into the alternator. After the car was allowed to cool it would run fine again for about an hour.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
Arnie69
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSG335 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie69 View Post

I have a similar problem - the Christmas lights effect on the dash with the different systems failing (or shutting off) one by one is typical of an alternator problem.

I haven't had time to fix mine. Been driving the family X3 instead but plan on getting it done this week. Genuine and OEM units are still expensive (usually $1000+ plus fitting).

Any advice in where to locate a good replacement unit for less is appreciated!

Edit to add: the problem would occur intermittently after a period of driving and probably some heat soak into the alternator. After the car was allowed to cool it would run fine again for about an hour.
Yep.

Exactly the same symptoms as mine. I lost all lights as well and I was driving at night in peak hour traffic.

I got my replacement alternator from a wrecker for $200. It had done around 94,000km which was similar mileage to my car. They also offered a 6 month warranty.

I wasn't able to find a more reasonably priced new unit.

I did call an auto electrician to get my alternator rebuilt but he said that it would make more sense to buy a new one.

Good luck. I'd recommend fixing it sooner rather than later. My car very nearly conked out in a tunnel underneath Brisbane during peak hour. That would have been a classic FUBAR moment.
Appreciate 0