E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New 335xi owner with a few questions.

08-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #1
Ballistacold
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

New 335xi owner with a few questions.

Hey fellas. I've read a bunch of these forums and got a lot of info so thanks ahead

Just bought a used 2007 335xi last night and really enjoy it. It's a bit of a fixer upper with a few issues but not too many.

So I've got a few questions on parts to look for:

I'm getting a P0012 code and limp mode once in a while, and read on here it's related to the vvt solenoids. I'll probably just order some new ones since a few I seen were not too spendy. 70 bucks for a pair to 70 a piece. Are there any to stay away from or is there a certain brand to use that works best or is recommended?

The car already has dual cone filters for the intake, and the car is throwing codes for both downstream 02 sensors so I am assuming it has catless downpipes installed (I'll look later today and the exhaust has a good throaty note so I think it's a good assumption)

So I'm looking for what programmer folks would recommend. Looking for one with easy to use decent performance tunes, but also one that can edit out the downstream o2 sensors and the brake pad wear sensors also. Any of the tuners on the market able to do this? Looking to keep the check engine light off for that at least. Brake light and such is on, tried to reset and it won't do it so if I can just turn off that feature it would be great.

So since this has the intake and downpipes already, I guess I would like to add an intercooler, charge pipe, and a bov? Is that what would be recommended? Is there anything to add that can try to catch or collect some of the oil in the intake that would prevent a bit of that carbon build up in the intakes?

So to sum it up looking for recommendations on:
1: tuner that can give good performance as well as do diagnostics and program out o2 sensors and brake sensors
2: intercooler that can catch the oil?
3: charge pipe and bov?
4: valve timing solenoid recommendations?

I daily driver the car so not looking to run 9s just have a bit more fun in it.

Thanks much!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
Silent9n54
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

use MHD for tuning and clearing codes, available on android phones in the app store

id recommend a 7.5 inch vrsf intercooler so you dont have to worry about your iat temps anymore
check vrsf site for charge pipe, bov
you can install a catch can , BMS carries one

2007 E92 335i / VRSF 5" FMIC-Charge Pipe-DCI-Inlets/ TurboSmart Plumb Back DV / XHP / E50 Custom Tune by WedgePerformance / APEX ARC8 / MT ET Street / 11.5 @ 119 / Instagram @silent11n54
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2019, 03:07 PM   #3
bimmerguy1210
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E93 335i

For the Vanos solenoids, Dorman seems to be a good aftermarket brand or for piece of mind you can just buy OEM which comes with lifetime warranty.

Do you have access to a BT tool so you can get a more specific code? p0012 just is a generic obdII code for retarded camshaft timing. You'll want to see the 2A82/2A87 code which is specifically for the inlet/outlet vanos solenoids.

If there is one of these codes, swap solenoids from inlet to outlet or vice versa so you can isolate and be certain it is a faulty solenoid (you're hoping the code switches after you swap)

You can also try to clean the solenoids and see if the code goes away before purchasing a new pair. It didn't work for me but it's worth a shot if you have some brake cleaner
Appreciate 1
      08-18-2019, 04:37 PM   #4
Ballistacold
Rep

Hey thanks for the great info already fellas! Few questions!

For "BT tool" you mean the Bavarian tech diagnostic tool?

I was considering going with MHD, but with their software can you actually disable the downstream 02 sensors?

For the BT vs MHD, obvious the BT is probably a more powerful diagnostic tool, will the MHD software do a decent enough job for diagnostics or do you guys recommend getting both? Looks like you could maybe run em both on the same tablet?

Thanks much I appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 10:01 PM   #5
bimmerguy1210
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, E93 335i

Yes, the diagnostic tool. There are several other ways you can diagnose as well. There's plenty of information out there on diagnostics! I have no knowledge about the compatibility of MHD and BT tools however as I'm still in ancient times with my Cobb Accessport.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:05 AM   #6
Ballistacold
Rep

Alright got everything on its way
Fmic
Pipe and bov
Catch can and new pcv
Cable for the mhd.

Didn't order and vanos parts yet as once the mhd arrives I will try to pull more appropriate codes.

So I know this is the engine forum, but my factory "professional" radio is kinda losing pixels and only works half the time.
I've seen these Android replacement units that look pretty decent. Eonon makes some cheaper ones. Has anyone ran an Android unit in the dash and ran mhd on it with their live gauges view/tuner and diagnostic use all right there with any success?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #7
Ballistacold
Rep

I'm going to pull my radio and check the plug at the back as I am not sure if it has the fiber optic parts or anything like that tonight.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 07:41 PM   #8
Ballistacold
Rep

Holy cow does this thing scoot now.

Got all the parts and the tune in this weekend. This is all kinda new to me and exciting haha.

Well the car has the 7.5" vrsf with their chargepipe and a bov. Catless downpipes and the dual cone intakes were on when I bought it. Running the e40 tune mhd tune. Bms oil catch can and new pcv valve. The intake was nasty. Heading into the shop next Friday to get the valves cleaned of carbon. I didn't look at em but I probably wouldn't hurt.

Is there much more to be gained from any other bolt ons? I think all that would be left is from the cone filters to the turbos. This is an xi so it kinda looks like a nightmare getting to those.

I scanned codes and found the vanos intake code. I ordered a pair, they weren't too much, might as well put in new and save the exhaust for a spare. Cleared all codes to start fresh and see what it throws.

Anyone have experience with the awd? I'm not 100% sure it's working all the time. Does it still transfer power front to rear with the traction control off, or is it always fixed at 40-60? I'm getting the traction control flashing at me in 3rd at 80, kinda find it hard to believe I'm spinning tires at that speed. It will kick the rear end out all through 1st and 2nd.

Thanks for the great recommendations! That intercooler is pretty amazing. Was 88 out today and was running about 100° iat after driving for a few hours and pulling hard up and down all the onramps in town haha.

Thanks fellas!
Appreciate 0