E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > DYNAVIN N6 Multimedia GPS System, New for 2015....OFFICIAL THREAD>>>>

03-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #1145
RobRogers99
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i 4 Door Sedan

So I've had this unit for a little over a year now I'd say and I've been having sporadic issues - wondering if I'm the only one. I did a basic thread search but didn't come up with anything.

I constantly have significant slowdown or "lag" when it comes to Navigation. The unit becomes unresponsive when typing in a city or street address for about 15-20 seconds and then it catches up to itself and populates the desired text... Not sure if that's a software issue, an isolated instance in my unit, or a known problem.

The bigger issue I'm facing however (and one I can't live with) is the A2DP quality has degraded significantly. I thought it was due to a fault in my new cell phone (Nexus 6p) but after replacing my phone once already, I'm having the same issues which leads me to believe it's the HU's BT protocol being outdated. Is this a known issue with newer phones? I get a crackle or audio drop every few seconds when streaming through BT. Sometimes severing the connection, forgetting the device on my phone, and re-syncing alleviates the issue but not always.

Anyone else having these problems? I'm thinking about ditching and going with another HU. These are pretty annoying bugs.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 10:10 PM   #1146
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

What firmware are you on? For the nav, have you every updated? Go to naviextras.com, install the "toolbox" and let it update your nav card.

Im not aware of any bluetooth protocol issues....everything works the same as it has for the last couple years as far as Ive seen. I know you said you swapped your phone but have you tried it with a different type of phone? Just for troubleshooting purposes?

If that doesnt do it, contact your dealer for further assistance, if that is me, email me so we can do some troubleshooting.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 07:05 AM   #1147
Lockman_321
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Hi Jeff quick question.

I have a Nexus 6p on android 6.0 and I find that when I get into the car it connects to Bluetooth fine. If I switch of the car while Bluetooth is connected and go back to the car during the period were the dynavin is on standby (I believe 5 minutes) the phone can't connect back to Bluetooth as the dynavin is stuck on syncing. I know this because you to to the phone book and it just says syncing and on the top of tye screen.The only way to be able to connect via Bluetooth again is to turn off the car and wait till the dynavin turns off (after 5 minutes) or reset the head unit (which is a pain because I lose all my settings. Do you know of a reason it might be doing this?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 03:18 PM   #1148
jeffb335
Rep

A quick google of "Nexus 6P Bluetooth issues" turns up a bunch of people describing similar issues with their phones, many said that toggling the Bluetooth on and off took care of it.....Although it could be related to your Dynavin it seems to be a common thing with that phone?

I know that with iphones, if they are brought in and out of Bluetooth range of a device a few times they will start to ignore the the Bluetooth device until you toggle Bluetooth on/off or walk away for a long period of time allowing it to "reset". I know I've experienced that for a while now (since iOS 9?) with my phone on various Bluetooth systems including my dynavin. Im not sure if there is a better way to manage Bluetooth to minimize this sort of thing, because it is annoying, maybe someone with a little more Bluetooth know-how could chime in?

Last edited by jeffb335; 03-02-2016 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 03:47 PM   #1149
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I was having trouble with Alpine Head unit

I was having trouble with Alpine Head unit that would only
intermittently connect to my S5. I got an App called Bluetooth
Auto Connect that will run the connect cycle with the power button
on the phone if it doesn't connect. Not a perfect solution but
better than drilling down through a bunch of menu's while your
in the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 05:07 PM   #1150
Lockman_321
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
A quick google of "Nexus 6P Bluetooth issues" turns up a bunch of people describing similar issues with their phones, many said that toggling the Bluetooth on and off took care of it.....Although it could be related to your Dynavin it seems to be a common thing with that phone?

I know that with iphones, if they are brought in and out of Bluetooth range of a device a few times they will start to ignore the the Bluetooth device until you toggle Bluetooth on/off or walk away for a long period of time allowing it to "reset". I know I've experienced that for a while now (since iOS 9?) with my phone on various Bluetooth systems including my dynavin. Im not sure if there is a better way to manage Bluetooth to minimize this sort of thing, because it is annoying, maybe someone with a little more Bluetooth know-how could chime in?

Thanks for your reponse.

I don't think it is the phone as I can turn the Bluetooth on and off and connect to other Bluetooth devices. I think it is to do with the phone being connected to the dynavin when the dynavin goes into standby mode. If I disconnect Bluetooth off before turning the car of and then come back to the car in while the dynavin is in standby I have no problems connecting. It's if I forget to disconnect Bluetooth then come back to the car during the standby period then the dynavin is stuck on syncing even if I turn the phones Bluetooth off and on etc.its just stuck in syncing until I reset the dynavin or turn the dynavin off completely.

I will contact dynavin and see what they say. Thanks for your help though. Much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #1151
jeffb335
Rep

Yeah, pass on that specific info for your situation, if there is something up there they can work on it with the next firmware update.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 05:39 PM   #1152
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
I got an App called Bluetooth
Auto Connect that will run the connect cycle with the power button
on the phone if it doesn't connect.
I used Bluetooth Auto Connect with my Nexus 5 under Android 5 and it worked as intended. But my on my Nexus 6 under Android 6 it simply does not work - it does not do anything. I don't know whether this is a Nexus 6 incompatibility or Android 6 incompatibility.

The original poster has Nexus 6P. I wonder if Bluetooth Auto Connect will work for him. But first thing to try would be to simply cycle BT power on the phone side. If it connects to Dynavin, then Bluetooth Auto Connect has a chance to work. If cycling BT power does not reestablish connection to Dynavin, then it is a serious Dynavin issue, which will not be fixed by Bluetooth Auto Connect.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 03:19 PM   #1153
RobRogers99
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i 4 Door Sedan

Quote:
What firmware are you on? For the nav, have you every updated? Go to naviextras.com, install the "toolbox" and let it update your nav card.

Im not aware of any bluetooth protocol issues....everything works the same as it has for the last couple years as far as Ive seen. I know you said you swapped your phone but have you tried it with a different type of phone? Just for troubleshooting purposes?

If that doesnt do it, contact your dealer for further assistance, if that is me, email me so we can do some troubleshooting.
I'll try the naviextras suggestion. I'm on the latest DynOS (1.2?).

As far as the bluetooth issue, it might be the phone but it connects to every other bluetooth device I have without issue. It's specifically a problem between the Nexus and the Dynavin. So odd. Which is why I don't think trying another phone will solve the problem. Short of acquiring another brand new flagship phone (like the new S7 that's coming out), I don't think I'll be able to replicate the problem. I honestly think it has something to do with outdated/updated BT protocol. Planned obsolescence if you will... Oh well I guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 10:11 AM   #1154
SpeeDemoN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Hi Jeff,

My N6 is stuck in a white screen/constant restart loop. Completely unresponsive. Emailed you last night, please advise.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #1155
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeeDemoN View Post
Hi Jeff,

My N6 is stuck in a white screen/constant restart loop. Completely unresponsive. Emailed you last night, please advise.
Yeah, I just emailed you back. We will sort it out, no worries.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #1156
SpeeDemoN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Yeah, I just emailed you back. We will sort it out, no worries.
Thanks Jeff, hope it's an easy fix...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 08:58 AM   #1157
jpregione
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
Well, since my OEM head unit has no problems issuing "seatbelt' warning as well as "key in the ignition" warning, these commands are definitely present in my canbus. It is just that Dynavin for some reason fails to recognize them and/or ignores them.
I was able to get the seatbelt warning to work but still cant get the key in ignition alert to sound... the key icon shows up on the dash when I leave it in but no warning chime. As a matter of fact I went to a baseball game yesterday and when I went back to the car to go home couldn't find my key anywhere... come to find out my door was unlocked and the keyfob was still in ignition of the car, not a good thing. Definitely need to figure out something for this
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 03:27 PM   #1158
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep

I'm also getting this from time to time (see below). It appears to be intended as a headlight warning. But, firstly, I don't see why I am supposed to be getting it with my headlights on "Auto" (never happened with OEM headunit).

And also this warning is rather inconsistent: it seems to appear when a door is opened (no matter driver or passenger one) and the engine is not running, but it does not happen all the time under these conditions. Most of the time it happens when I return to my car after a brief period of absence, i.e. when headlight warning would be most useless and irrelevant.
Attached Images

Last edited by AndreyT; 03-05-2016 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 08:13 PM   #1159
jonknick
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRogers99 View Post
So I've had this unit for a little over a year now I'd say and I've been having sporadic issues - wondering if I'm the only one. I did a basic thread search but didn't come up with anything.

I constantly have significant slowdown or "lag" when it comes to Navigation. The unit becomes unresponsive when typing in a city or street address for about 15-20 seconds and then it catches up to itself and populates the desired text... Not sure if that's a software issue, an isolated instance in my unit, or a known problem.

The bigger issue I'm facing however (and one I can't live with) is the A2DP quality has degraded significantly. I thought it was due to a fault in my new cell phone (Nexus 6p) but after replacing my phone once already, I'm having the same issues which leads me to believe it's the HU's BT protocol being outdated. Is this a known issue with newer phones? I get a crackle or audio drop every few seconds when streaming through BT. Sometimes severing the connection, forgetting the device on my phone, and re-syncing alleviates the issue but not always.

Anyone else having these problems? I'm thinking about ditching and going with another HU. These are pretty annoying bugs.

I'm having both of these issues as well...

It seems like every menu has slowed down, not just the navigation and I actually don't even use the navigation because of this... Maybe I need to reset, but I really don't want to reset time and settings...

I have the Bluetooth sound dropping very frequently. I did do a soft reboot (I think/ whatever one clears cache and doesn't delete stuff) a couple months ago on the advice of Jeff which helped very temporarily... It's odd, the sound drops randomly but very often probably an average of every 3-4 seconds, but sometimes up to 10 seconds of clear sound and sometimes adjusts the tempo of the music like its trying to catch up. I have a Galaxy S6 Edge... I'm hoping the next update will fix this (I guess either phone or Dynavin) , the reason I bought the thing was for Bluetooth music

Another thing... Has anyone had any trouble with the equalizer not saving settings? I have to reset them every time I get in the car. Everything else saves- time/ engine stats/ settings
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 10:40 PM   #1160
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonknick View Post
Everything else saves- time/ engine stats/ settings
What do you mean by "time" in this context?

One of the ridiculous things I observe with my unit is that it never saves time. Every time I start it up, it wants to request time through GPS. And until it successfully contacts the satellites, it simply displays "-- : --" instead of time. This is beyond belief, considering that the unit has it internal clock (and is connected to permanent power) and that in addition to that it has access to car's own clock.

I thought that was by design (by mis-design, to be precise).

But you are saying that your Dynavin saves time? Do you mean that when you start it up it shows the current time immediately, without waiting for GPS?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 08:08 AM   #1161
Lockman_321
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'm also getting this from time to time (see below). It appears to be intended as a headlight warning. But, firstly, I don't see why I am supposed to be getting it with my headlights on "Auto" (never happened with OEM headunit).

And also this warning is rather inconsistent: it seems to appear when a door is opened (no matter driver or passenger one) and the engine is not running, but it does not happen all the time under these conditions. Most of the time it happens when I return to my car after a brief period of absence, i.e. when headlight warning would be most useless and irrelevant.

I think I know what the conditions for this are.

If my lights are on auto and I unlock the car, my welcome lights turn on and when I open the door there is no error. If however i unlock the car during the time the dynavin is still in standby, my welcome lights come on. If i open the door while the welcome lights are on (30 seconds) I get that light error message. It's very annoying. The only way round this is to not have your lights on auto when you know you will go back to the car during the standby period.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #1162
jonknick
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i x-drive

Quote:
What do you mean by "time" in this context?

One of the ridiculous things I observe with my unit is that it never saves time. Every time I start it up, it wants to request time through GPS. And until it successfully contacts the satellites, it simply displays "-- : --" instead of time. This is beyond belief, considering that the unit has it internal clock (and is connected to permanent power) and that in addition to that it has access to car's own clock.

I thought that was by design (by mis-design, to be precise).

But you are saying that your Dynavin saves time? Do you mean that when you start it up it shows the current time immediately, without waiting for GPS?

Now that you say it, i do notice that sometimes it shows up with the --:-- when i first get in the car, sometimes taking up to 2-3 mins to populate correctly
Maybe the time isn't being saved then?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 03:09 PM   #1163
jeffb335
Rep

Quote:
Now that you say it, i do notice that sometimes it shows up with the --:-- when i first get in the car, sometimes taking up to 2-3 mins to populate correctly
The time is set by the satellite connection. If you dont have GPS reception the time will show --:-- until you do.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 03:51 PM   #1164
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, apparently it isn't. I wonder who and how came up with that idea...

Basically, the design of virtually each and every facet of these Dynavin devices feels like if was done on another planet, by someone who never saw a normal working car head unit from Earth. Even the "previous track" button does not work right.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 04:21 PM   #1165
flexbrah
hehe ty men
Rep
Drives: 23 M3 Comp xDrive

Gotta thank Jeff for all his help. Just got my new dynavin installed and it works like a charm! Had some trouble with the first unit, it got damaged during shipping and Jeff sent me the tracking # for the new unit within 10 minutes of getting off the phone with me. Now I got the new dynavin installed and sending the other one back with no hassles at all. Jeff's service is 10/10! Still teaching myself all the features of the unit but it definitely refreshed the interior look of my car
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 11:39 AM   #1166
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep

ODC screen, battery voltage display is permanently showing "60.2 v". What's up with that?
Appreciate 0