Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 14 pound carbon fiber / magnesium wheels ?!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-28-2006, 11:27 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

14 pound carbon fiber / magnesium wheels ?!

Supposedly these wheels will start shipping to the U.S.

14 pounds is great, but I wonder about their strength/quality

http://www.rennworx.com
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Well, if they're designed well and produced well, they could be pretty good. I'd say track use only though. Any curb rash would be BAD on CF. Any damage would probably mean you'd have to buy a new outer rim at least.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Yeah, if they produce it well, it should be really strong. The Carrera GT has forged magnesium wheels.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Magnesium is stronger and lighter than aluminum by a large factor ... I've heard conflicting reports that it's harder/more expensive to work with, and then other articles I've read say that it's actually easier and cheaper than aluminum but that the infrastructure doesn't exist.

And then there's the old 60's stories about them using pure magnesium for aircraft wheels and them bursting into flames.

I'm a little suprised at the carbon outer wheel, carbon doesn't bend it shatters. Any pot hole damage would be catastrophic.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2006, 02:19 PM   #5
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by obLu
Magnesium is stronger and lighter than aluminum by a large factor ... I've heard conflicting reports that it's harder/more expensive to work with, and then other articles I've read say that it's actually easier and cheaper than aluminum but that the infrastructure doesn't exist.

And then there's the old 60's stories about them using pure magnesium for aircraft wheels and them bursting into flames.

I'm a little suprised at the carbon outer wheel, carbon doesn't bend it shatters. Any pot hole damage would be catastrophic.
Magnesium alloys are definitely more expensive to manufacture with than aluminum.

A pothole big enough to damage a CF rim would likely bend an aluminum rim as well, which would require a replacement on both accounts.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
tl_boy
Major
Rep
Drives: tl

very nice, but yeah, magnesium wheels are $$$. Wow, 2.5k per wheel!! holy shiet. Makes the Z06 an even bigger bargain!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2006, 09:03 PM   #7
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitosz
These wheels are stronger and lighter than any wheel out in the market. Do not be intimidated by the carbon fiber. These wheels are in the process of obtaining their DOT and TUV certifications and outperformed corvetted Z06 forged magnesium wheels. Price is about $2500 per wheel as of 2004. I don't know how much they are now.
Damn those rims are expensive!
      07-28-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

you can get motorcycle wheels in carbon, I guess it's just the progression of things

I wouldn't want to pay for them on my car though
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2006, 07:50 AM   #9
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Whats next, making the engine block out of CF?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2006, 08:13 AM   #10
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I'll stick with my less than blingy 16.2lb $200 Koseis for the track. These don't look too suitable for street use. I save more than $1100/lb.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2006, 12:51 PM   #11
MIKEYMIKE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian19
Whats next, making the engine block out of CF?!?!?

The e90's is already made out of magnesium, maybe the next gen
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 03:07 PM   #12
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitosz
These wheels are stronger and lighter than any wheel out in the market. Do not be intimidated by the carbon fiber. These wheels are in the process of obtaining their DOT and TUV certifications and outperformed corvetted Z06 forged magnesium wheels. Price is about $2500 per wheel as of 2004. I don't know how much they are now.
I'm still skeptical. Most performance parts for cars have their roots in motorsport, so why are there zero cars in motorsport with CF anywhere on their tires? You'd think with the budget of an F1 team they would have tried it and used it if it was indeed better. All the F1 teams use 1 piece forged magnesium rims. Maybe there's some rule about it that I'm unaware of, but I've never seen a CF wheel in motorsport and CF has been around for a long time.

European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 03:47 PM   #13
JO3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghunger
Magnesium alloys are definitely more expensive to manufacture with than aluminum.

A pothole big enough to damage a CF rim would likely bend an aluminum rim as well, which would require a replacement on both accounts.
Aluminum wheels are very inexpensive to repair/remanufacture. Bent alloys can be straightened and balanced good as new.

Carbon fiber on the other hand....
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2006, 06:34 PM   #14
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JO3
Aluminum wheels are very inexpensive to repair/remanufacture. Bent alloys can be straightened and balanced good as new.

Carbon fiber on the other hand....
That's not exactly true. You can't bend aluminum and then straighten it back out with out weakening it and/or causing cracks in it. You won't see any motorsport team at a decent level straightening and reusing bent rims. Scuffs and scrapes, sure, but not bent. That's why many teams use multi-piece wheels, so they can replace parts of the wheels and save money. F1 uses 1 piece wheels cause they have money to replace rims at will and the 1 piece wheels are lighter.

European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2006, 01:12 AM   #15
JO3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghunger
That's not exactly true. You can't bend aluminum and then straighten it back out with out weakening it and/or causing cracks in it. You won't see any motorsport team at a decent level straightening and reusing bent rims. Scuffs and scrapes, sure, but not bent. That's why many teams use multi-piece wheels, so they can replace parts of the wheels and save money. F1 uses 1 piece wheels cause they have money to replace rims at will and the 1 piece wheels are lighter.
I was speaking more from a street use perspective. My relatively soft wheels bent within a year of purchase from the rough LA streets. They had a very noticable vibration when driving at speed that could not be balanced out. I had them repaired/remanufactured, and they came back perfectly balanced, and 2 years later have not been bent again. Seems as if they came back stronger than from the factory. I've heard many stories similar to mine as well.

At the track, it's a different story. They demand different levels of abuse, and require a higher level of percision, usually. With race team budgets, it wouldn't be worth it to repair.

But yeah, these aren't really "street" wheels anyway.
Appreciate 0