E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > Where to buy & install bms powerbox+will gov inspect it for the 6 year checkup?

02-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Where to buy & install bms powerbox+will gov inspect it for the 6 year checkup?

Where do you guys buy and install the bms powerbox in HK? Is there still one for a E90 325i pre-LCI model? My car is 6 years old now, so that means there will be that emission check, will the gov check whether I got a bms powerbox? Or will it be safer to install one after the check?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 03:58 AM   #2
Harriz.c
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 // F07 5GT // X5 G05 //

Garage List
2012 BMW m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMan
Where do you guys buy and install the bms powerbox in HK? Is there still one for a E90 325i pre-LCI model? My car is 6 years old now, so that means there will be that emission check, will the gov check whether I got a bms powerbox? Or will it be safer to install one after the check?
Buy online , ship... The rest it depends....
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
stevensonleehk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMan View Post
I will suggest that you buy it from BMS directly online and find a local garage to install it for you. Thats what I did without any problems.

As for government testing - it should not be a problem 'cos the government test is really basic and is mainly to test safety features of the car including brake pads etc. They will not open your ECU. You can probably get your MOT testing done at any government approved garage.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #4
JohnMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensonleehk View Post
I will suggest that you buy it from BMS directly online and find a local garage to install it for you. Thats what I did without any problems.

As for government testing - it should not be a problem 'cos the government test is really basic and is mainly to test safety features of the car including brake pads etc. They will not open your ECU. You can probably get your MOT testing done at any government approved garage.
Many thanks. Unfortunately I'm not an experienced DIY guy in electronics, and I rather not risk doing it myself with a critical component such as the ECU, so can you recommend me some reliable and trust-worthy garage to do it in HK?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
Namreh
L Plate Newbie
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E90 325i LCI

Garage List
Check monster garage
For BMS box
      02-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
cc_bavarian
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2007+ E90 330i

Garage List
2007 E90 330i  [0.00]
Agreed. Buy from burger tuning directly. No problems and fast shipping. Have a "recommended" local garage install it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensonleehk View Post

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 02:33 AM   #7
css
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Macan S

i bought my jb3 at zillion, pretty good price!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2012, 02:54 AM   #8
scflaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: M135I, Macan S, G26 i4M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_bavarian View Post
Agreed. Buy from burger tuning directly. No problems and fast shipping. Have a "recommended" local garage install it.
What about suspension modifications? Am i going to need to put it back to stock?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 02:47 AM   #9
J.
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E90 320i, E36 M3

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I just got the test done at DCH *HKGOV designated centre* last month.

They check for the following things

1. The basic Electronics *Any Error lights on your CHECK*
2. Turn signals and seat belts
3. Pads + Rotors, and life of tires.
4. Engine - emissions + see if there is any leaking of oils or fluids
5. Suspensions - any broken steering components, tire wear
6. Brakes - Brake pads+ Rotors (not too thin)

My car is lowered with almost no wheel gap in rear, moderate negative camber and 9.5 ET 25 wheels.

Also, if you have Modified BBK, make sure its not a custom welded bracket because those will fail. Also, those with Downpipes and straight pipes (likely not to pass emissions)

Good luck! It should be easy as its a very very basic checkup. You can also do it at BMWHK but I am sure they will for more crap if you did.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 03:15 AM   #10
e679
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.

My car is lowered with almost no wheel gap in rear, moderate negative camber and 9.5 ET 25 wheels.

Also, if you have Modified BBK, make sure its not a custom welded bracket because those will fail. Also, those with Downpipes and straight pipes (likely not to pass emissions)

Good luck! It should be easy as its a very very basic checkup. You can also do it at BMWHK but I am sure they will for more crap if you did.
Thanks j, so may I ask does brembo GT 6pots bracket consider as custom welded? Thanks.
      02-29-2012, 03:22 AM   #11
scflaw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. View Post

Thanks! You are a great help!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #12
J.
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E90 320i, E36 M3

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e679 View Post
Thanks j, so may I ask does brembo GT 6pots bracket consider as custom welded? Thanks.
If it is modified custom welded bracket (is if your Brembo GT 6-pot kit was previously for a R34 GTR [just an example] and you custom weld a bracket to fit for your BMW e9x) that is what I mean by custom welded as I know alot of Hongers like to purchase BBK's from other cars and modify to fit into theirs.

Honestly, I do not see a problem with a modified welded bracket (bridge) in terms of performance or safety but the GOV inspection is really anal in terms of what they "define" as modification.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
scflaw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
If it is modified custom welded bracket (is if your Brembo GT 6-pot kit was previously for a R34 GTR [just an example] and you custom weld a bracket to fit for your BMW e9x) that is what I mean by custom welded as I know alot of Hongers like to purchase BBK's from other cars and modify to fit into theirs.

Honestly, I do not see a problem with a modified welded bracket (bridge) in terms of performance or safety but the GOV inspection is really anal in terms of what they "define" as modification.
They're probably scared of the difference in workmanship. i'd assume a poorly welded bracket would have a higher chance of it failing under stress. i've never owned a BBK kit yet, so i wouldn't really know
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E92 | N55 F15 | N55 E70

Quote:

A custom welded bracket is categorically not okay. The previous owner of my car had retrofitted Brembo's designed for a 911. They were a disaster waiting to happen. The garage that did it filled down everything from the wheel hub to the calipers themselves. The pads didn't sit flush with the rotors and they squeeled like hell on fire. A few emergency stops and the brakes could have literally snapped right off.

If any garage suggests putting BBK not designed for your car, I would recommend walking away at the least and reporting to them to the police at the worst. Aside from welding your own bracket which is dangerous in and by itself (have you done thousands of tests to make sure it won't buckle under pressure?) a lot more hacking and downright scary things have to be done to make them actually fit. Don't modify your car unless you can afford to do it properly.
Appreciate 0