E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Car feeling slow in gear 2, boost not meeting target

09-03-2023, 09:53 AM   #1
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Car feeling slow in gear 2, boost not meeting target

Hello everyone,

I am back after a while and I am not suprised to the MHD thread just vanished. They provided trash support to this platform and were reluctant on fixing their garbage OTS map, very unresponsive. Shameful way to treat one of the platform that helped start their company.

Anyhow, I hope most of yall's lives are going great I have been occupied with my career and studies but recently I noticed that my car's gear 1 and 2 are very slow and it got to a point where I had to investigate.

Took a log to see what's up and wanted to get you guy's opinion. Boost and load not meeting target. My car also has long cranks and couple of german shadow codes linked to that so I think my HPFP needs replacement but rail pressure looks right in the log. Will do a longer gear 3 and up log soon.

Anyways thanks yall!

https://datazap.me/u/thegoodthebadth...og=0&data=4-20
      09-03-2023, 10:50 AM   #2
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Welcome back!! Boost and load actual look horrendous, and wgdc% is high. Could be boost leak but your ltft and stft aren't super negative, so if there is a boost leak I suspect it's not big enough to explain the extent of your under boosting. I'd check that vacuum is getting to your boost solenoid and if that checks out maybe look at your boost solenoid, as they can go bad.

How many miles are on your turbo?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 10:59 AM   #3
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

I can't complain about MHD, I'm still on their 2+ ots tune, and for the most part my car runs well and can't complain given it's an ots tune. With pneumatic wategate, it's a lot harder to create a tune that works well for all the cars on the road.

I read the entire mhd thread on here, and I have to say it started out good and informative, but it devolved into a gigantic piss fest against MHD (some complaints valid, but most, well I'll just say were not helpful, or were people not fully understanding how their cars work). So I'm not super suprised it got deleted.

Last edited by wheela; 09-03-2023 at 11:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 11:10 AM   #4
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Here's an intersting thread about our boost solenoids (pressure converter). I had always thought when these started to go bad, the indication would just be low/under boost. But looking at the graph in this thread, it's clear there is also a failure mode where the armature can get sticky, and they can pass too much vacuum at low wgdc% - which could cause over-boost (the green curve is the bad one). So a bad boost solenoid can cause a range of over or under boost problems, depending what's wrong with it.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1589166
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 08:19 PM   #5
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Here's an intersting thread about our boost solenoids (pressure converter). I had always thought when these started to go bad, the indication would just be low/under boost. But looking at the graph in this thread, it's clear there is also a failure mode where the armature can get sticky, and they can pass too much vacuum at low wgdc% - which could cause over-boost (the green curve is the bad one). So a bad boost solenoid can cause a range of over or under boost problems, depending what's wrong with it.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1589166
Certainly can't just trash them after all they did, no one would have done it if it was not for them, but I feel there was a lot of negligence especially with known overboosting issues which were reported and took an eternity to adress.

In anycase, I always suspect the pressure conveter/boost solenoid. I am already on my second one and I have upgraded vacuum hose. I'll see what the boost look likes on other gears, but just by the feel, it seems like its somwthing specific to low torque regime and gear 2.

Thanks for the info, glad to see you still around!
      09-05-2023, 10:22 PM   #6
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Checked the intercooler and charge pipe connections hoping there was a boost leak at these locations but unfoetunately everything is still fixed solidly.

I'll try to see what troubleshokting can be done for the boost solenoid but I am worried that it might be the wastegate or turbo just being cooked. Is there a way we can know if the wastegaste is operating as it should through the logs. I've been hearing it ratteling lately ...
      09-07-2023, 02:37 PM   #7
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Welcome back!! Boost and load actual look horrendous, and wgdc% is high. Could be boost leak but your ltft and stft aren't super negative, so if there is a boost leak I suspect it's not big enough to explain the extent of your under boosting. I'd check that vacuum is getting to your boost solenoid and if that checks out maybe look at your boost solenoid, as they can go bad.

How many miles are on your turbo?
I have an extra boost solenoid so I will try to see if it can retain vacuum and compare it to the one on the car. I really hope that'a the issue because if it's turbo/wastegate related, I am doomed. These xDrives are such a pain to work on unfortunately. I'm at 170,000 km on the stock turbo and around 90,000 km were in MHD stage 2+.
      09-08-2023, 07:07 AM   #8
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Let us know how it turns out!
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 05:22 PM   #9
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Let us know how it turns out!
Well... Yesterday I vacuum tested the boost solenoid and saw it was leaking a bit. I also hooked the pump to the wastegafe but I was not able to build vacuum at all to actuate it.

So today I investigaged the wastegate thinking the vacuum line going to it was disconnected or had a hole/tear but I discovered much worse.

Look this horrific seen...

I'm on a xDrive so everything is so tight down there but I think I have enough place to just replace the wastegate and its rod. Hopefully it's doable...
Attached Images

09-09-2023, 10:51 PM   #10
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Holy smokes that thing got nuked!!! Weird how the back half is corroded yo oblivion but all around it is basically untouched. I wonder how that happened?

Also, how were you able to make any boost at all with that actuator? Unless your wastegate flapper is jammed partially shut? Can you reach down and verify the rod/flapper can actually move?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 12:01 PM   #11
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Holy smokes that thing got nuked!!! Weird how the back half is corroded yo oblivion but all around it is basically untouched. I wonder how that happened?

Also, how were you able to make any boost at all with that actuator? Unless your wastegate flapper is jammed partially shut? Can you reach down and verify the rod/flapper can actually move?
I was so suprised when I saw this and wondered why the hell is it still working. The actuator 100% still moves and the top part of the wastegate being intact is mind boggling. But I think that top part of the cup has a type of diaphragm and it it's able to hold some vacuum but it defenetly leaks whenever I'm around 11 psi of booat and can't close the actuator arm further.

I am trying to get a new wastegate from Pure Turbos but for some reason they say they can't ship it to my location in Canada...

No wonder I was hearing some crazy rattleing.