E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Asia > Hong Kong > BMS Powerbox = Causing Engine warning?

01-09-2012, 06:13 AM   #1
Soikiu
Malaysian Invasion
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E90 323i LCI

Garage List
BMS Powerbox = Causing Engine warning?

Hi bros,

Just wondering - for those of you who have installed the BMS powerbox, has it caused any problems for your cars?

Reason I'm asking is that the mechanic took my car for the bumper touch up today and halfway to his workshop, he called and said the engine warning light lit up and the car lost power immediately. He crawled back to the shop, let the car rest for 10-20 seconds, restarted it, took it for a spin and it was fine.

I'm not finger-pointing the powerbox (those who know me knows I'm an advocate of it) but I just want to rule out the culprits... The only other engine mod I have is a K&N filter... And as you can see, pretty new car at 2600KMs only which is why I'm so surprised.

Unless of course my car has a personality and doesn't like other people driving her.

DK
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
stylus
Private
China
Rep
Drives: E92

i guess you have the same problem as me, my car comes out twice a month. But dont worry,the problem should be cause by wire loose. I'm sending my car bk to BMW twice tmr for this problem. Check my post, out bro here helped me a lot. They have experience with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
Soikiu
Malaysian Invasion
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Thanks man, I hope it will be that simple
Appreciate it man!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
335ringo
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

My X5 also, an the reason for mine is the sensor detect too many waste gas produce by the engine, and it define some problem happen, so it go into the safe mode, just find one safe place & restart the engine, then it is ok, it is told by BMW HK.

Last edited by 335ringo; 01-09-2012 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #5
cc_bavarian
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2007+ E90 330i

Garage List
2007 E90 330i  [0.00]
loose wiring job. happened to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #6
Soikiu
Malaysian Invasion
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ringo View Post
My X5 also, an the reason for mine is the sensor detect too many waste gas produce by the engine, and it define some problem happen, so it go into the safe mode, just find one safe place & restart the engine, then it is ok, it is told by BMW HK.
Your X5 has a BMS Powerbox and BMW HK told you how to fix the problem with the BMS?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
Soikiu
Malaysian Invasion
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_bavarian View Post
loose wiring job. happened to me.
Loose wiring on the BMS Connection or something else?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
stylus
Private
China
Rep

my car never end this warning...I got my car from BMWHK Service Department this evening regarding to the Engine Fault problem, the Service Advisor told me their technician detected the electronic mod cause some electronic errors on the throttle thru the analyzer. And they refuse to touch the PBX even I asked them to check the wire connection or take it offfor me, sign. My mouth is O with it now. or Do they just want to scare me off?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
ct087ct087
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

where did you guys install your BMS powerbox? BMWHK definitely won't touch it especially the wiring is just free laying without plug. better to get back to the garage who did the installation.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
little_croco
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E90 330i Monaco Blue/Beige

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylus View Post
my car never end this warning...I got my car from BMWHK Service Department this evening regarding to the Engine Fault problem, the Service Advisor told me their technician detected the electronic mod cause some electronic errors on the throttle thru the analyzer. And they refuse to touch the PBX even I asked them to check the wire connection or take it offfor me, sign. My mouth is O with it now. or Do they just want to scare me off?
You expect them to fix your own mod for you?
E90 330i VB32 Monaco Blue/Beige/BurledWalnut - Prodrive GC-014I Forged 18" 8.5J/9.5J British Black + Michelin PSS 225/255 + Bilstein PSS10 + H&R ARBs + ACS bodykit + Brembo Gran Turismo Brake Kit 355-6F/345-4R + Rogue Engineering IKON exhaust kit + Simota Intake V2 + MFD Scoops + Blackline w/ red bulbs + PIAA H11 4700K fog + PIAA 6500K White Angel Eyes + MTEC 7000K license plate LED + GS-55 front doors LED + Valentine-1
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #11
Snyperx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (SOLD)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Now sure what is up with you guys, but the BMS Powerbox is not detectable by a BMW shop IF it was installed correctly. The entire BMS Powerbox should sit inside the ECU box and not be visible. It also is not detected by BMW test equipment IF you make sure it is disabled before taking it in to the dealer.
      01-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #12
cc_bavarian
First Lieutenant
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2007+ E90 330i

Garage List
2007 E90 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soikiu View Post
Loose wiring on the BMS Connection or something else?
Loose wiring on the BMS connection to the ECU. I guess the installer did not crimp the wires properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
Now sure what is up with you guys, but the BMS Powerbox is not detectable by a BMW shop IF it was installed correctly. The entire BMS Powerbox should sit inside the ECU box and not be visible. It also is not detected by BMW test equipment IF you make sure it is disabled before taking it in to the dealer.
Sure thing! We experienced loose wiring as a result from bad installation.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
Snyperx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (SOLD)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Glad to hear you got it resolved. :-)
      01-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #14
llm3000
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_croco View Post
actually, i talked to the service centre about when to do my first service for my E93, and the guy told me that the only mod i can do without voiding the warranty is the wheel only. if i lower my car with after market suspension, they could void the whole suspension warranty. if they find out PBX (of course they wont if install properly) or any chip mod is done, they could simply void the warranty for the whole computer and electronics. same as muffer and any other after market items....

so now... i am standing here, looking at the PBX, lowering springs, brake pads, muffer and dont know what to do... sigh. i plan to sell it after one year or so, if i go for all these mods, then there wont be any warranty and will affect the resell value. what do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
ct087ct087
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by llm3000 View Post
actually, i talked to the service centre about when to do my first service for my E93, and the guy told me that the only mod i can do without voiding the warranty is the wheel only. if i lower my car with after market suspension, they could void the whole suspension warranty. if they find out PBX (of course they wont if install properly) or any chip mod is done, they could simply void the warranty for the whole computer and electronics. same as muffer and any other after market items....

so now... i am standing here, looking at the PBX, lowering springs, brake pads, muffer and dont know what to do... sigh. i plan to sell it after one year or so, if i go for all these mods, then there wont be any warranty and will affect the resell value. what do you guys think?
if you mod the suspension, of course they won't provide warranty for your own modded suspension. However, the related stock parts should be still under warranty.

they may reserve the right to void the warranty for such parts if the problem caused by your mod. however, in general, they know very well the car is tolerant for "mechanical" parts mod such as suspension, sway bar, brake kit, etc. therefore, they will still provide warranty for those stock parts.

for the engine/chips stuff, it's a bit tricky. not so sure but i guess they can only change the entire stock module instead of wiring/replacing individual chips. so most likely they have no option but just ask you to pay for the replacement, if any.

My phase1 mod(s) were wheel/suspension/sway bar/lighting then brake kit which all were done in the first 3 months.....before the mod, they reminded me the possibility of warranty void. after the mod, they haven't mentioned again at all. no issue on the 1st year end service. some stock parts (near front suspension, forgot what it was) had been replaced during the 2nd year end service.

so my suggestion is, just mod the mechanical parts, don't touch the engine until your warranty expired.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #16
stylus
Private
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_croco View Post
My car is still under warranty, I was trying to understand if they would remove it for me with labor charge.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #17
little_croco
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylus View Post
My car is still under warranty, I was trying to understand if they would remove it for me with labor charge.
negative. as per ct087 mentioned above, they demarcate the items under warranty, and they will absolutely not taking any risk in touch non-warranty items to make themselve liable. the department is measured on the service level but not revenue, so they don't care if you want to pay them to do something "non-standard". they are not just "workshop by the street"...

i do have one case which i complaint all the way to Munich, but they still have their own defined ways to support BMW owners...

perhaps you should be more aware of that by now.
E90 330i VB32 Monaco Blue/Beige/BurledWalnut - Prodrive GC-014I Forged 18" 8.5J/9.5J British Black + Michelin PSS 225/255 + Bilstein PSS10 + H&R ARBs + ACS bodykit + Brembo Gran Turismo Brake Kit 355-6F/345-4R + Rogue Engineering IKON exhaust kit + Simota Intake V2 + MFD Scoops + Blackline w/ red bulbs + PIAA H11 4700K fog + PIAA 6500K White Angel Eyes + MTEC 7000K license plate LED + GS-55 front doors LED + Valentine-1
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 03:15 AM   #18
Soikiu
Malaysian Invasion
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
I just got my car back today and the workshop (Thanks Al) plugged my car into the computer (Original BMW Equipment) and it did not detect the BMS Powerbox. Instead it detected a fault in the accelerator sensor. Was it caused by the BMS powerbox? Was it a real sensor fault? No one knows but the workshop said if I drove it to BMW, they would obviously point the finger at the BMSPB.
He told me the computer did not detect the BMSPB but told me (like 3-5 times) that if I drove it to BMW for servicing, I MUST remove the Powerbox. This is an absolute must he said or they will void my warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #19
little_croco
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [6.00]
Quote:
I just got my car back today and the workshop (Thanks Al) plugged my car into the computer (Original BMW Equipment) and it did not detect the BMS Powerbox. Instead it detected a fault in the accelerator sensor. Was it caused by the BMS powerbox? Was it a real sensor fault? No one knows but the workshop said if I drove it to BMW, they would obviously point the finger at the BMSPB.
He told me the computer did not detect the BMSPB but told me (like 3-5 times) that if I drove it to BMW for servicing, I MUST remove the Powerbox. This is an absolute must he said or they will void my warranty.
I will suggest you do a wiring check by the workshop installed your powerbox.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #20
ct087ct087
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
just check the wiring first at your garage. if the warning still occur, i suggest removing the BMSPB before sending your car to BMWHK. if i remember correctly, you should't need to cut any wire for installing BMSBP...meaning the wires should be able to resume into the original plug.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:54 AM   #21
ruthless
Rep
Drives: 325i LCI

if the wires are not loose or anything, just clear the code and remove the powerbox, then put some miles on the car say 2-300km or so, if CEL returns, send it back to bmwhk for repairing, if not, send the powerbox back to the states to exchange a new one!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #22
Soikiu
Malaysian Invasion
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Just got my baby back last night
Workshop checked the wiring and said it was ok
Drove all the way to Tai Po with no problems... Fingers crossed it will be fine.
Thanks for all your inputs bros
Appreciate 0