E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Broken valve cover bolt

06-10-2021, 07:39 PM   #1
Bs721
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Looking for some guidance. I recently had to replace a valve cover gasket and when removing the bolts the front ground bolt near injector one broke off. I recently had purchased the Vargas aluminum VC. After driving for about two months I noticed that I would hear a sizzle in the engine bay and when I popped the hood I saw oil near injectors 1 and 2. At first I thought that it was just the gasket but now after seeing that the bolt was sheared I think this may have been the issue all along.

The issue I have now is I can't get the damn thing out. I have tried the easy out method and the damn bit broke off inside. So now it's screwed badly. I have tried to now drill it but the bolt is harder than the head and now it's pretty bad. My thought is that the shop over torqued during install because all of the bolts were hard as hell to get off.

Any ideas on how to get it out? Can I drill it with a larger bit and then just buy an insert and use that? Or should I add some permatex and just put the valve cover back on and just switch the ground. I'm at a complete loss at this point.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 10:13 PM   #2
SixSix
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: (2007 BMW 335i E92)

Garage List
2002 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
If it's fairly flush with the head, use a sharp chisel punch and a small hammer to spin it out, if its recessed far then try left hand drill bits, or screw extractors. If all else fails, get a helicoil kit, you can drill out the bolt with a bigger size, tap the hole with the helicoil included tap, then screw in the helicoil. Have never personally had to do this on an N series engine head, I've had great success with the hammer and chisel method. I have however had to do this on multiple different VW TFSI heads when the exhaust manifold studs snap off. Worst case scenario helicoil always comes in clutch.
Appreciate 1
Bs7210.00
      06-10-2021, 11:06 PM   #3
Bs721
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I tried drilling it out as the top was below the head surface and I broke the reverse bit so now I have two broken off pieces in there.

I ordered the helicoil kit but I have to drive my car for work and I am not sure how I should go about moving forward. I can't get the bolt or bits out of it. Every time I try to drill it the bit slips and mangles the head. It's worst case scenario now. FML
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 08:36 AM   #4
SixSix
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: (2007 BMW 335i E92)

Garage List
2002 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bs721 View Post
I tried drilling it out as the top was below the head surface and I broke the reverse bit so now I have two broken off pieces in there.

I ordered the helicoil kit but I have to drive my car for work and I am not sure how I should go about moving forward. I can't get the bolt or bits out of it. Every time I try to drill it the bit slips and mangles the head. It's worst case scenario now. FML
Did you get it figured out yet? With drill bits sometimes you can hit them with a punch and shock them enough to get them loose... High quality drill bits are a must have especially when you're drilling into something that you don't want to replace. Drilling out a drill bit can be done, but it will take a lot of patience. Always make sure to use cutting oil as well while drilling to keep the bit cool. Another thing you could try would by using small carbide burrs to slowly chip away at the drill bit until you get most of it out and can keep drilling the bolt.
Appreciate 0