E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E93 Low Coolant level message

02-03-2021, 02:50 PM   #1
Sunset rider
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335i MSport

E93 Low Coolant level message

I have started this thred in the hope of finding a solution to my ne to me 2013 E92 335i & also not to hijack another thread/

Hi, recently joined and need to reply to one post. Thankfully, this is similar/close to my issue. I am happy to repost in new thread...when allowed....in the meantime...

I have a recetly new to me 2013E92 335i N55.
Warning "Coolant Too Low"
Recently (last Friday) changed the Thermostat and Coolant reservoir (evidence of reservoir leaking. Not really used the car much during weekend.
Today after driving some 50kms "Low Coolant" message appears again along with warning light.
Drove about 2kms to Indy and slightly topped coolant again.
Ran the Bleed procedure twice.
Car was cooled down and when started again...."low Coolant" message came on as well as warning light.
Allowed car to cool down again and check coolant level...was exactly where it should be.
No Failure Codes for Water Pump or Thermostat.
As discussed with original PO, my oil temp seems to be at the normal range when light and message cme on.

Potential issue I coulnt understand....
1. if you turn ignition on (not engine running)....water pump and circulates well....no air pockets etc
2. If you start engine....water pump stops circulating water (cant understand that one in particular)
3. Even when cooled down....the " Coolant too low" message and light stays on....

Is there a coolant reset button?
Why would the pump operate (quite well)durin the Bleed process and not when engine running???

Any views/advice welcome.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by e91Owner View Post
The coolant level is measured in the reservoir. There is a sensor at the bottom that you should be able to see from outside of the tank. I would make sure that the connection is secure. If the level is fine visually in the tank and you are still getting this message, the sensor itself may be bad.

Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
I've also seen the float get stuck/disconnected. So it could be just the reading since you're not overheating. Check the reservoir out and maybe the sensor...those items are actually not too expensive to just swap if needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 02:52 PM   #2
Sunset rider
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 335i MSport

Thank you for the reply. Reservoir/tank is new. I will check sensor later this morning when I get to the Indy.

Any suggestion as to why the pump cuts out when engine is switched on?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 04:24 PM   #3
ratboy1991
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i

Because of how the electric thermostat and water pump work, you wont always get the pump running on start up. It will vary the water flow depending on engine temperatures. If your pump was knackered, you would get an engine over heat within a few minutes of start up.

I noticed in the post you said that you topped up the coolant. Have you had to top up the coolant again since? If its a slow leak it will be very inconsistent with when it pops the message of coolant being too low.

If it is holding coolant, then I would triple check the connector at the bottom of the reservoir.

Hope this helps. Keep me posted on what you find or what fixes the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 08:18 PM   #4
jamm715
Rep
Drives: bmw E93 335i

Coolant reservoir is bad from sensor on inside of tank. Just put on my second one today within a year, lights go out as soon as I replaced it.
Appreciate 0