E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Best location to mount headlight ballasts

06-02-2021, 12:46 PM   #1
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Best location to mount headlight ballasts

This isn't a mainstream question please. I would love to hear answers on my question but this is outside the norm for most E90/E91/E92 headlight projects. Maybe I'm under estimating on that though.

I have converted my OE LCI Adaptive Xenon projectors over to using a D2S bulb. I am planning to use Hella gen 3 ballasts as they are able to be modified to increase power from 35W up to 55W. I'm going with 50W.

On to my question. What is the best place to mount these ballasts?

I need to mount one on each side of the chassis close to the headlight housings. I have found more room exists on the passenger side (my car is Left hand drive) as my stock air box is removed and an aftermarket air box is in use. I have found i can put inside the airbox. I don't have enough room inside the airbox though for everything. I need to mount 2 ballasts on each side plus two sets of relays.12V power hooks ups are on the passenger side is why I was considering this location. The relay harnesses have very long leads to accomplish 12V power. I have 4 ballasts total as I will be running 2 projectors on each side. A Morimoto MH-1 is going inside the cornering light housing. I will only run the MH-1 when no cars are on coming to me (sort of treating like high beams) even thought they are aimed at same horizontal cutoff as the OE outboard projectors.

This setup will give me (2)X 50W at OE Xenons + (2)X 35W at MH-1s.

The reason I ask about alternate location for mounting is the airbox isn't too far from the 2 turbos on my M57 diesel engine. The max temp the Hella ballast can get to is 85°C/185°F. Bear in mind the box itself generates heat as it pushes 50W. So, the local temp nearby needs to be some 30-40F cooler. I'll go with 150F max. I will be putting temperature sensor on side of box and drive around and get temp data.

Thanks

P.S. The Hellas are too big to fit where the standard BMW Xenon ballasts go. Besides, i'm leaving the OE ballasts there (no electrical connection of course) to seal up the inboard hole. I could have used the more crude JB weld up the hole technique but i trust my way more in terms of staying sealed. The JB weld way is a hack anyway.

Last edited by BB_cuda; 06-02-2021 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 08:12 AM   #2
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Perhaps there isn't anyone here using non OE ballasts with headlights? When using search engine on internet, I got a couple hits and ideas but they were for the more slim Morimoto 35W ballasts of which I also have 2 of. The Hellas are fatter and are rock solid durable I have been told.

Please offer an opinion if you have added an electronic box under the hood and have a turbo engine (more heat on passenger side of engine bay). thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 03:49 AM   #3
taranonline
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: E90 320D 2010

I mounted mine bottom of the headlights using cable ties. Its neat cant see any wires or anything. I upgraded my oem lci halogens to Umnitza ae with morimoto mini 7.0 projectors on each side.
      06-04-2021, 04:03 AM   #4
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

Well, thinking outside of the box... you can extend the wiring and put them anywhere.

On my "not bmw" i put them on the crash bar. Also adding thermal pads to improve heat transfer.

No problems with this design after... 5 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2021, 08:41 AM   #5
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks taranonline and Capt Buumer.
taranonline , did you tie wrap the thin Morimoto XB35 ballasts underneath? You mentioned running the morimoto mini 7.0 projectors so I presume same brand of ballasts used.
@Captain Buumer, the length of cable between ballast and D2S bulb is best kept short as it is high energy. Working from advise of an auto lighting professional. I did buy 24" extension harnesses from TRS in case I have no other choice though.
P.S. I'm also changing over to Umnitza AE.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2021, 07:34 PM   #6
taranonline
Lieutenant
India
Rep

I used these. I dont have headlight washers so there is space for these to be just set in place where headlight washer goes and hold down with cable ties.
Attached Images

06-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #7
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks, taranonline. I actually removed by washers due to conversion to bumper that had no holes. The washers are more of a pain in the a$$ anyway. Headlights never get dirty enough to warrant being shot with washer fluid (no ice or snow here). Also, when I occasionally spray the windshield, the head light ones would go off (every 7th spray of windshield I recall) and get fluid on my hood making it not clean anymore.
Bottom line: They are worthless to me and your input may help out lots. I think I will use something more robust than tie wraps though. I have thinner ballasts for inboard quads that will fit there. The fatter Hella ballasts will likely not be thin enough.
THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:48 PM   #8
taranonline
Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Thanks, taranonline. I actually removed by washers due to conversion to bumper that had no holes. The washers are more of a pain in the a$$ anyway. Headlights never get dirty enough to warrant being shot with washer fluid (no ice or snow here). Also, when I occasionally spray the windshield, the head light ones would go off (every 7th spray of windshield I recall) and get fluid on my hood making it not clean anymore.
Bottom line: They are worthless to me and your input may help out lots. I think I will use something more robust than tie wraps though. I have thinner ballasts for inboard quads that will fit there. The fatter Hella ballasts will likely not be thin enough.
THANKS!
I tried making a metal bracket for these however cable ties worked just fine. Let us know if your able to make it work.

Looking at your spare tire under trunk job this might be really easy for you. I'm really looking into doing that as well but will need to make my own trunk floor since importing parts is really tough.
      06-14-2021, 08:25 PM   #9
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranonline View Post
I tried making a metal bracket for these however cable ties worked just fine. Let us know if your able to make it work.

Looking at your spare tire under trunk job this might be really easy for you. I'm really looking into doing that as well but will need to make my own trunk floor since importing parts is really tough.
Only thing I bought for that was the long threaded rod and large wing nut. I made the 6.25” disc of steel out of 12 gage steel. I cut it with a jig saw. The spare wheel you can get from on E60 salvage car. Ask me questions if you need guidance.
EDIT: that website is McMaster.com if you can get decent shipping cost.

Last edited by BB_cuda; 06-14-2021 at 08:31 PM..
Appreciate 0