E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Rear ABS sensors, reluctor rings on a 2010 car?

09-05-2017, 07:22 AM   #1
AndyVR
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 320i 2010 MSport

Rear ABS sensors, reluctor rings on a 2010 car?

Hi,

Do all E90/E91/E92 have the same rear abs sensor /reluctor ring setup regardless of year?

I have read lots about reluctor rings on corroded rear driveshafts causing problems, yet I have been thrown by a couple of sites/parts places that have mentioned some E90's having a different 'active' sensor in the wheel bearing.

I have a 2010 E91 320i, that has just started with the DSC yellow triangle light flashing with power loss after a long drive, and this morning a tyre pressure warning (all pressures were spot on )

I'm going to look under the car this weekend, just wanted to be sure I have reluctor rings and the usual type of ABS sensors!

Cheers.
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2017, 12:03 PM   #2
Andy198712
Major
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 325d

i have a 2010 e91 325d and the rear doesn't have a ring, the pickup is in the bearing.
a code reader/laptop will tell you which sensor is bad, its one 5mm allen key and then some clips, a 10 and 8mm bolt holding the inner well in place, peel that back and you'll see the plug.

1 series have the ring i think?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 07:00 AM   #3
AndyVR
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
i have a 2010 e91 325d and the rear doesn't have a ring, the pickup is in the bearing.
a code reader/laptop will tell you which sensor is bad, its one 5mm allen key and then some clips, a 10 and 8mm bolt holding the inner well in place, peel that back and you'll see the plug.

1 series have the ring i think?
Many thanks for that, I guess they must of gone away from the reluctor ring design with all the issues they had with earlier E90's.

The problem I have now is that i'm not getting any error codes for wheel sensors/abs/dsc etc at all, I have a laptop/cable with INPA.

What does your 2010 car have at the front wheels, does it have abs rings/discs that are visible/exposed? just trying to think of things I could check for like rust or dirt that could be causing my problems but not yet throwing an error code.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 10:53 AM   #4
Andy198712
Major
Rep

If it popped the lights on it should have pulled a plausibility code I think...?
I've only looked at the rear sorry
Are your lights permanent on now?
Should be able to view live data on the wheels as your driving which can help, either one will say 0 or it may jump up or down as your driving on one wheel (in the two abs sensors I've changed lately)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
AndyVR
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

No probs I'll have a look at the fronts this weekend.

No lights permanently on the dash, just that yellow dsc triangle flashing when I was losing power, it cured itself before I could get off the motorway and hasn't happened for a couple of days. Might have to wait until problem gets worse.

Live data, I'll have to get more into INPA/tools32 etc. only done basics like read and clear codes so far.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 06:02 AM   #6
AndyVR
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy198712 View Post
If it popped the lights on it should have pulled a plausibility code I think...?
I've only looked at the rear sorry
Are your lights permanent on now?
Should be able to view live data on the wheels as your driving which can help, either one will say 0 or it may jump up or down as your driving on one wheel (in the two abs sensors I've changed lately)
Thanks for the advice. The problem has got worse with the DSC light flashing every journey, at any speed, with power loss and braking, and sometimes all three yellow ABS/brake/DSC lights on.

Still no error codes. I figured out how to view in the live data wheel speeds in INPA, went for a slow drive, and yes I got one wheel (Rear left) jumping up from 30kph to 60kph randomly!

Have you found that the issue was just the abs wheel sensor, or any issues with the pickup in the wheel bearing?

Did you fit genuine or aftermarket sensors? I've heard of issues with cheap sensors, amazed that they are available for around £15 upwards - in my VAG days I was used to paying £50-70 for an OE quality sensor from ECP/GSF. ECP seem to list the same parts for early E90's as late ones, so no confidence buying from there. GSF only list rears for 2007-2009.

I got a price for a genuine rear wheel sensor from Hereford BMW for £88 delivered, wondering if I should just go with that?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 07:05 AM   #7
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

with all them lights coming on,i would say it could be abs wheel speed sensor..on my e46 this happened along with the speedo going mental...the rear offside wheel is where the sensor is on my e46,cleaning the sensor did the trick,it was water getting in after and during a heavy downpour..worth a shot,senso are not much to replace..im saying all this thinking they are basically the same,just a thought,my e90 sometimes get the yeloow triangle with power loss,but only afetr ive parked up a curb with nearside wheel or going round a right hand bens putting load on nearside wheel.only occasionally though and just when going slow on a tightish bend roundabout.

Last edited by rasa bmw; 10-10-2017 at 01:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #8
Andy198712
Major
Rep

Bavarian dominator is who I used for my sensor, £20 odd and works
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 04:04 AM   #9
AndyVR
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers, not heard of them before, having a look at their website now..
      10-23-2017, 03:40 AM   #10
AndyVR
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Fitted a new rear sensor at the weekend.

Turns out my car has the old style reluctor rings on the driveshaft! 2010 must of been the changeover year at some point? mine was built June 2010.

Problem was obvious - reluctor ring was distorted, two high spots on the ring that have been polished by the sensor. No visible corrosion, rings were in good nick otherwise. The end of the sensor was worn.

I measured the distortion in the ring, it was about 0.75mm at worst point. The sensor was worn by about 0.5mm, so when the car was new the sensors must run very very close to the ring to start with.

Older cars I've known have had a much bigger sensor gap.

Not wanting to start removing driveshafts/new reluctor rings, I fitted the new sensor with 1.5mm hard rubber washer around the sensor body, and another one under the fixing bolt. (originally tried a metal washer just under the bolt, but figured water would get down the sensor hole and cause issues.) the sensor is now clear of the ring but hopefully close enough to give proper readings - so far the car is driving perfectly now, no warning lights.
      10-23-2017, 06:04 AM   #11
Andy198712
Major
Rep

Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 07:06 AM   #12
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyVR View Post
Fitted a new rear sensor at the weekend.

Turns out my car has the old style reluctor rings on the driveshaft! 2010 must of been the changeover year at some point? mine was built June 2010.

Problem was obvious - reluctor ring was distorted, two high spots on the ring that have been polished by the sensor. No visible corrosion, rings were in good nick otherwise. The end of the sensor was worn.

I measured the distortion in the ring, it was about 0.75mm at worst point. The sensor was worn by about 0.5mm, so when the car was new the sensors must run very very close to the ring to start with.

Older cars I've known have had a much bigger sensor gap.

Not wanting to start removing driveshafts/new reluctor rings, I fitted the new sensor with 1.5mm hard rubber washer around the sensor body, and another one under the fixing bolt. (originally tried a metal washer just under the bolt, but figured water would get down the sensor hole and cause issues.) the sensor is now clear of the ring but hopefully close enough to give proper readings - so far the car is driving perfectly now, no warning lights.
yeh keep us updated,i get the odd flashing light,usually hwen been parked up after turning off,then starting and pulling away.usually round a rihght hand bend,very rare though,,
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 07:45 AM   #13
AndyVR
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa bmw View Post
yeh keep us updated,i get the odd flashing light,usually hwen been parked up after turning off,then starting and pulling away.usually round a rihght hand bend,very rare though,,
A few months on and the mod has worked perfectly, no DSC/ABS warnings since and the tyre pressure warning system works when its supposed to.

I think when I get the chance I will remove the rear sensor on the other side of the car and see if I need to add a spacer, to stop it getting worn away on the reluctor ring (it could already be rubbing away if there is corrosion on the drivedhaft, and a matter of time before it causes problems and needs replacing.)
      03-29-2018, 08:20 AM   #14
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Merc, VW, Porsche, Suzuki

Garage List
Quote:
I'm not sure where you got that information, but all E90's have reluctor rings & corresponding pulse sensors on all four wheels. The reluctor ring is pretty well hidden in the rear hub, but it's there.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 03:43 AM   #15
AndyVR
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfleming View Post
I'm not sure where you got that information, but all E90's have reluctor rings & corresponding pulse sensors on all four wheels. The reluctor ring is pretty well hidden in the rear hub, but it's there.
Owners of late E90's (e.g. around 2010 onwards) have said that the rear reluctor rings have been replaced by a hall sensor setup incorporated into the wheel bearing.
      09-25-2018, 03:29 PM   #16
signalman@optonline.net
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 3281

Rear Wheeler Sensor

Quote:
Hi,

Do all E90/E91/E92 have the same rear abs sensor /reluctor ring setup regardless of year?

I have read lots about reluctor rings on corroded rear driveshafts causing problems, yet I have been thrown by a couple of sites/parts places that have mentioned some E90's having a different 'active' sensor in the wheel bearing.

I have a 2010 E91 320i, that has just started with the DSC yellow triangle light flashing with power loss after a long drive, and this morning a tyre pressure warning (all pressures were spot on )

I'm going to look under the car this weekend, just wanted to be sure I have reluctor rings and the usual type of ABS sensors!

Cheers.
Well, by the 3rd right rear wheel sensor, I figured I had to delve a little deeper. What luck to stumble upon this thread. First, THANK YOU Andy VR!
I had the aforementioned christmas tree again. Also I had a little bird chirp backing up my driveway. You should always pay attention to smoke and strange noises, they usually lead you to the problem, but I had not learned from history. I figured the squeak was from a u joint or cv joint, because that's the noise my old chevys used to make when the u joint was on its way out. I pulled the wheel sensor I just installed about a week ago and the wear from rubbing on the reluctor ring was obvious. And when I spun the wheel in reverse my little birdie was gone. Spacers installed. Cleaned the rear wheels while I was at it, they look mighty fine. I haven't road tested her yet (328i), but I'm feeling very confident. Thanks again. I'll give you an updated after a couple of weeks of driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 01:05 AM   #17
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

champion,,i still ahve not got round to doing mine,,i had my car at garage for a few bits done and i said you might as well fit these washers while you got car in the air,,they had a look and said i have not got reluctor rings,,i know it has but the indy i go to has a lad there that thinks he knows everything,,so i kust said ,,it does but jjust elave it for now as it hardly ever triggers the lights,,next time im there to get my new discs pads done ill explain to them to just do what i want,,and if it has no rings then i will eat dog shit off there boots ha ha
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 08:17 AM   #18
AndyVR
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Well nearly 3 years on, the rear abs sensor on the other side of the car also started to rub on its reluctor ring, causing jerking and eventually the 3 yellow abs/brake lights to come on.

Hoping it was not the same left rear that I replaced 3 years ago, I read the codes and this time got 5DC1 error code, 'REAR RIGHT' wheel speed sensor'.

I removed the sensor, just like the other side it was slightly worn on the end, but not through the plastic so no metal exposed. Instead of replacing the sensor with a brand new one, this time I refitted the existing one, spaced back with a 1.5mm rubber washer as before to stop it rubbing on the high spot of the reluctor ring. Tested the car and it's working absolutely fine now, so a cheaper repair this time around.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 12:56 AM   #19
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well nearly 3 years on, the rear abs sensor on the other side of the car also started to rub on its reluctor ring, causing jerking and eventually the 3 yellow abs/brake lights to come on.

Hoping it was not the same left rear that I replaced 3 years ago, I read the codes and this time got 5DC1 error code, 'REAR RIGHT' wheel speed sensor'.

I removed the sensor, just like the other side it was slightly worn on the end, but not through the plastic so no metal exposed. Instead of replacing the sensor with a brand new one, this time I refitted the existing one, spaced back with a 1.5mm rubber washer as before to stop it rubbing on the high spot of the reluctor ring. Tested the car and it's working absolutely fine now, so a cheaper repair this time around.
i never got around to changing sensor/spacing etc,,but i did have a front wheel bearing go,,offside front,,,new bearing,,,no lights now and that was 5 months ago or so,so bad bearing can have intermittent lights for abs sensor etc,,i used to get traction light wen on a right hand tight ish bend like round about,,like a bearing the weight is put onto that side,,noise was horrible in the end,,even a slight turn to right had the bearing groaning
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #20
J0K3R5
Lieutenant
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: BMW

You can use a penny washer in-between the sensor to space it out.
It can get you out of a jam, when funds are not at hand.

Dont buy cheap parts, I learnt the hard way.
Had to re-buy the proper parts from BMW as the cheap parts failed.
      06-01-2021, 08:45 AM   #21
eljay
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M + E91

Bumping this as I am looking at replacing my rear axles as part of a rear end refresh. I have a July 2009 build 328xi Touring, manual.
Every axle I see online for my car does not show any reluctor rings on them. My part numbers are 33207604591 / 33207604592 (left/right). And when I look physically behind the axle/knuckle, I can see the ABS speed sensor, but don't see anything that looks like the reluctor ring.
Does this mean I don't have these and the sensor picks up pulses from the wheel bearing itself?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 09:18 AM   #22
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

As I understand it the 6 cylinder engined cars don't have the reluctor ring set up, that set up is used on 4 cylinder cars.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Appreciate 0