E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > I do feel bad for people affected by BP's oil....

07-01-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep
Drives: Saturn Redline

I do feel bad for people affected by BP's oil....

but this shit is getting ridiculous..... the amount of people requesting hand-outs is insane.
e.g. talking with a realtor down there, he wants everyone who's been even remotely interested in a place to send him an email so that he can pass it along for 'non realized commissions'.

Yes you may be missing on some sales, but sure as hell nowhere close to that 100% end you're shooting for...combined with the fact that once this shit is cleaned up, your sales are going to sky rocket.
(this is also ignoring the fact you've been living in the lap of luxury with your commissions for YEARS)

/rant
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
Alexander
Mad tyte EuR0 style boooi <--- Joke
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E85, MKVI

I own rental properties on the beach and I literally lost 95% of my bookings due to the oil spill.

Fuck BP.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
Yes you may be missing on some sales, but sure as hell nowhere close to that 100% end you're shooting for...combined with the fact that once this shit is cleaned up, your sales are going to sky rocket.
(this is also ignoring the fact you've been living in the lap of luxury with your commissions for YEARS)

/rant
Do you have any idea how long this cleanup will take? It is still spewing thousands of barrels into the gulf every day and you're talking like next spring everything will be back to normal.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
bmwturbopower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 335i

I have a rental property (used to be my residence in gulf shores, AL)

We have had 6 people cancel for 6 weeks that is almost 2 grand a week and we still have the mortgage to pay for. Hell yeah i'm looking for a hand out. This shit is terrible not only for my family but for my friends who live their lives on the water.
      07-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Do you have any idea how long this cleanup will take? It is still spewing thousands of barrels into the gulf every day and you're talking like next spring everything will be back to normal.
No I'm not... I fully realize and admit it will take years, however the people I'm talking to down there are ridiculous, I've now reached out to 4 realtors, all of them are just sitting on their asses....not an even a MILD attempt at trying to sell their properties. They're all quite content filing with BP, and after my immediate communication with them, they ask for me to write something up saying that I was considering a property, but I'm waiting for results from the oil spill
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
I own rental properties on the beach and I literally lost 95% of my bookings due to the oil spill.

Fuck BP.
not to be a dick, but how much were you pulling in on a weekly basis before the spill? I guess that's kinda my point, you're taking an inherent risk just by owning rental properties.
Don't get me wrong, not saying BP shouldn't pay out (and pay out the ass), but the people that are trying me up a wall are the ones that are quite content sitting on their asses and filing for their 'lost income'.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #8
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
hahah I realized afterwards what I did, and where I did this....this could be interesting
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #9
Freakazoid
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post

Fuck BP.
I've gotta ask btw.... you're 23, have an e30, e90, and apparently several rental properties on the coast... who are your parents and what do they do? lol kidding kidding (dammit no 'pot stirring' smiley that I can find)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

I just heard that scientists have created a car to run on water

Sadly it only runs on the gulf water

07-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #11
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

The U.S. of A. requires 21,000,000 barrels of oil per day to meet its needs. This oil must be obtained somewhere. Sadly, a lot of oil is available under water and drilling for it has its risks. One way to avoid future oil spills is to reduce that dependency to oil to a level where these offshore platforms can be closed.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
bmwturbopower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I just heard that scientists have created a car to run on water

Sadly it only runs on the gulf water

Glad you can joke about it since your not being affected by it.
      07-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #13
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNic335i View Post
Glad you can joke about it since your not being affected by it.
I grew up 75 miles from panama city, the most southeast part of alabama possible

The only people affected by it are fisherman, restaurants, and people who take the risk of own rental property(which hurricanes are also a HUGE risk) you should of known better before renting, or swallow the fact that things happen down there and quit bitching...would you be bitching if a hurricane wiped out everything down there but your place, NO because you wouldn't have anything to blame but yourself
      07-01-2010, 03:08 PM   #14
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
I grew up 75 miles from panama city, the most southeast part of alabama possible

The only people affected by it are fisherman, restaurants, and people who take the risk of own rental property(which hurricanes are also a HUGE risk) you should of known better before renting, or swallow the fact that things happen down there and quit bitching...would you be bitching if a hurricane wiped out everything down there but your place, NO because you wouldn't have anything to blame but yourself
Yeah but the difference being no human action is directly responsible for the hurricane. The oil spill was directly due to negligence on the part of a few people, so it's natural that those same people be held responsible for every single negative effect.

And, this is the USA, OP.... You actually expected this to go by without people taking advantage of it? Sure there are plenty of people suffering, but did you really think that people would (especially in this double-dip recession) NOT use this to recoup as much as possible, whether it's a legitimate claim or not? Where there are humans, especially Americans, there will be manipulation of the system to the max. That's just how it is here.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #15
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Yeah but the difference being no human action is directly responsible for the hurricane. The oil spill was directly due to negligence on the part of a few people, so it's natural that those same people be held responsible for every single negative effect.

And, this is the USA, OP.... You actually expected this to go by without people taking advantage of it? Sure there are plenty of people suffering, but did you really think that people would (especially in this double-dip recession) NOT use this to recoup as much as possible, whether it's a legitimate claim or not? Where there are humans, especially Americans, there will be manipulation of the system to the max. That's just how it is here.
Yea I know that, but if he was hurting so bad that this rental income was what paid the bills then he shouldn't be renting in a vacation area...things happen down there, and I know it was a mistake but noone was there and knows EXACTLY what happened

Edit: and the business owners also are affected, but when you base your business around vacationers you know the risks of natural disasters, and rare not mentioned but possible accidents that would cause people not to come to that area

I feel sorry for the animals that are killed not the business owners

Last edited by CollinsE90; 07-01-2010 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #16
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Quote:
Yea I know that, but if he was hurting so bad that this rental income was what paid the bills then he shouldn't be renting in a vacation area...things happen down there, and I know it was a mistake but noone was there and knows EXACTLY what happened

Edit: and the business owners also are affected, but when you base your business around vacationers you know the risks of natural disasters, and rare not mentioned but possible accidents that would cause people not to come to that area

I feel sorry for the animals that are killed not the business owners
This thinking is so wrong. I don't even know where to begin
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #17
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_j View Post
This thinking is so wrong. I don't even know where to begin
Please enlighten me what's wrong with me thinking that people who put a business in one of the most dangerous places for vacation purposes should be ready for things that could possibly slow business down, please fucking tell me how that is wrong....if I create a business on an island only able to get too from plane, and jet fuel becomes extint I'm not going to be mad, bc I expected that possoibilty one day...

Its business not people's houses destroyed like katrina and living conditions made bad, it isn't the locals that are suffering

Edit: other than workers losing jobs due to it, but this whole country is struggling with unemployment from peoples mistakes, so they aren't any different
      07-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #18
ABQ325i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E60 535i + 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2008 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I can see your point with the Realtor thing. I have my real estate license and there is no way in hell you get 100% of people who show an interest actually buying something.

I can understand where the owners of rental properties would be affected though.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #19
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ325i View Post
I can see your point with the Realtor thing. I have my real estate license and there is no way in hell you get 100% of people who show an interest actually buying something.

I can understand where the owners of rental properties would be affected though.
I understand it a bad thing for everyone down, including my friends and family...but owning rental property is a business to charge people more than they would usually charge for a house on the beach, its a gamble that nothing will ever affect your business

I just don't agree with business owners bitching when a mishap does happen, they should of known that something could happen when they bought the place
      07-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #20
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Quote:
I just don't agree with business owners bitching when a mishap does happen, they should of known that something could happen when they bought the place
I don't think an explosion of a deep-water drilling platform located 41 miles from shore qualifies as a foreseeable risk to homeowners, especially when you also consider that these kinds of explosions occur FAR less frequently than hurricanes. I think any assumption of risk argument here would fail. Somehow I think EVERY homeowner would agree that they shouldn't be required to take 100% risk for every possible adverse situation that could happen to their homes, even if caused by third party malfeasance (think arsonist or vandal).

I would agree, however, that claims of diminished value (or in the case of brokers claiming lost commissions) is ridiculous. A property owner should only recover the direct damage to their property caused by the oil (e.g. cost to clean-up oil that damaged their property). Brokers should have no claims whatsoever; their business by definition is based on market fluctuations -- they should take risks both ways.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 07:00 PM   #21
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Its not a spill, a spill is like the Exxon Valdez, this is pretty much like a oil volcano that keeps gushing gas and oil...

the ocean is fucked...generations upon generations are going to be affected by this. Also come fall/winter migratory birds that use the gulf to rest/eat/etc are going to die because of this, this can have a huge devastating impact on the ecosystem.

Most people dont understand nor can they see the severity of the situation, they drilled 1 mile deep into the earth and their last resort plan is to drill two relief wells in August, well if those two wells dont hit or dont work then this oil volcano is going to keep gushing...it can potentially pollute the entire ocean.

On top of that, scientists say that methane gas is collecting and it can potentially cause some serious health effects to the communities that are near the coast...
      07-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #22
ABQ325i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E60 535i + 06 E90 330i

Garage List
2008 535i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FifthStreetz View Post
Its not a spill, a spill is like the Exxon Valdez, this is pretty much like a oil volcano that keeps gushing gas and oil...

the ocean is fucked...generations upon generations are going to be affected by this. Also come fall/winter migratory birds that use the gulf to rest/eat/etc are going to die because of this, this can have a huge devastating impact on the ecosystem.

Most people dont understand nor can they see the severity of the situation, they drilled 1 mile deep into the earth and their last resort plan is to drill two relief wells in August, well if those two wells dont hit or dont work then this oil volcano is going to keep gushing...it can potentially pollute the entire ocean.

On top of that, scientists say that methane gas is collecting and it can potentially cause some serious health effects to the communities that are near the coast...
I don't think that this is being argued here. We are probably all in agreement with this. This post is about how people (Realtors) are trying to take advantage of the situation.
Appreciate 0