E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Comfort access stopped working / blowing fuse

06-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #1
korie83
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i X-Drive

Comfort access stopped working / blowing fuse

Hey guys,

Need some ideas on how to troubleshoot some issues with CA I'm having on my 2011 e90

Car will no longer unlock via touch or start the car with either fob.
The buttons on fobs will unlock it and will start if in the key slot, just not remotely.

I checked the fuses and found the 5a #61 fuse blown. So I replaced it, and it blew again right away.

Anyone have an idea where to I should be looking to the cause of this?

Also about a year ago the driver side handle stopped working and was identified as an issue with the door handle by a Bmw tech. The passenger side worked fine and keyless start was fine as well, just never got around to replacing the handle.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 01:32 AM   #2
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi

Im having the same issue, no solution yet. In for some feedback.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2016, 06:28 AM   #3
Daenerys
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

im having the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #4
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

you need to disconnect passive go module and check it's power circuit for short circuit
after that you need to check passive go module and driver handle
from other side you can try to disconnect driver handle from passive go module
      06-15-2016, 03:05 PM   #5
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep

Where is this passive go module located?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 06:19 AM   #6
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

in right trunk space, above battery, under decorative cover, there is white plastic box which can contain 3 modules, PDC, Passive go and two towbar modules
      06-16-2016, 12:29 PM   #7
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

WOW SMH

i am having the same problem for my coupe . checked all the fuses and so far nothing.

my car does unlock via the metal key so door actuators are good..the key inserted in the slot and the car starts so i assume the CAS module is good.

i have read it could be the diversity antenna but i don't know..or the comfort access module itself.

the key isn't even being detected & i tried replacing my key fob batteries on both remotes, still no progress
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 07:15 PM   #8
Dhillon92
Captain
Rep

I have recently found a code, 32e3 which is a hardware fault between the dme and cas module. I would check if you guys also have it.
      06-16-2016, 10:18 PM   #9
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon92
I have recently found a code, 32e3 which is a hardware fault between the dme and cas module. I would check if you guys also have it.
I'll check again when I start my car and take it out with BMWcarly app
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 01:05 AM   #10
NightStalker
Rep

i am getting the following faults

Phone/Telefon
Ring break diagnosis error 00D690

Digital satellite-tune USA
Unknown fault 00DE10

Last edited by NightStalker; 06-17-2016 at 01:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2016, 03:01 AM   #11
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

this error about MOST circuit problem. it has nothing to do with Comfort Access
      06-17-2016, 06:38 AM   #12
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
this error about MOST circuit problem. it has nothing to do with Comfort Access
what about a faulty IBS sensor? causing CA to stay in sleep

sometimes id get no key detected, now only way the car starts is via the key slot.

key isn't detected at all...keyfob buttons don't work either
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 07:23 AM   #13
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

if you replaced batteries in fobs too late CAS will disable CA function for them, you need special diagnostic software to enable CA for the keys
keyfob buttons also can be diagnosed via INPA or Rheingold software
      06-19-2016, 03:04 AM   #14
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending
if you replaced batteries in fobs too late CAS will disable CA function for them, you need special diagnostic software to enable CA for the keys
keyfob buttons also can be diagnosed via INPA or Rheingold software
All of symptoms started right after I unhooked my PRND panel of the gear shift knob to test another gear shift knob. While the car was hooked to the trickle charger.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 06:55 PM   #15
NightStalker
Rep

replaced passive go module still no change.

checked all fuses also, nothing.

replaced key fob battery again same problem.

car battery is also healthy.

Last edited by NightStalker; 06-25-2016 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #16
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
HELLO FRIENDS!

I have a post a few months back from the same problem and I tore my car apart to check all things considered.

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204899

So I have figured out the most common problem with the CAS in our cars. Its the DOOR HANDLE. If you have a defective door handle it will SHORT OUT YOUR FUSES every time you try and activate it.

The best way to test this theory is:

1. Go buy 10 5amp fuses
2. Remove both driver/passenger handles and open your trunk without using the key fob. (if that works continue) Now you know your trunk works.

3. Replace passenger handle test out the comfort access - try starting the car without inserting key. (if that works continue) Passenger handle works.

4. REMOVE PASSENGER HANDLE again -and CONNECT the drivers handle - start car with out key. Now you know your drivers handle works.

5. Replace both handles and test keyless start. If the keyless start doesnt work at either of these steps odds are the fuse blew and that saves you time from checking constantly.

If you do all this and it does not blow the fuse, it is an actuator in one of your doors, hug your wallet and say good bye as you drop your car off to be "repaired".

This will help you narrow down what caused your short.

It is a KNOWN fact that the drivers handle is usually the culprit.

If you find a defective peace, you can just unplug it and your keyless start and other handles will work just fine with out it. You'll just be dealing with a first world problem until you pony up for the repairs.
Appreciate 2
SaNGRia980.00
      06-27-2016, 03:52 PM   #17
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
HELLO FRIENDS!

I have a post a few months back from the same problem and I tore my car apart to check all things considered.

So I have figured out the most common problem with the CAS in our cars. Its the DOOR HANDLE. If you have a defective door handle it will SHORT OUT YOUR FUSES every time you try and activate it.

1. Go buy 10 5amp fuses
2. Remove both driver/passenger handles and open your trunk without using the key fob. (if that works continue) Now you know your trunk works.

3. Replace passenger handle test out the comfort access - try starting the car without inserting key. (if that works continue) Passenger handle works.

4. REMOVE PASSENGER HANDLE again -and CONNECT the drivers handle - start car with out key. Now you know your drivers handle works.

5. Replace both handles and test keyless start. If the keyless start doesnt work at either of these steps odds are the fuse blew and that saves you time from checking constantly.

If you do all this and it does not blow the fuse, it is an actuator in one of your doors, hug your wallet and say good bye as you drop your car off to be "repaired".

If you find a defective peace, you can just unplug it and your keyless start and other handles will work just fine with out it. You'll just be dealing with a first world problem until you pony up for the repairs.
with any of the symptoms the key fob also stops working ? remotely mine doesn't work either. & also i assume my actuators are working because using metal key both doors unlock
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 04:45 PM   #18
Dekansnowman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan Space Grey

Quote:
HELLO FRIENDS!

1. Go buy 10 5amp fuses

Thank you very much. I'll try this on my next day off. If I can at least be able to start the car with my key in my pocket, I'll be a little happier.

This is something I really miss about my G37. I never had a single issue with that car and it was a blast to drive. Press button on door, hop in, start car, and go. But I traded a factory LSD for a car with a factory turbo.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 08:08 PM   #19
NightStalker
Rep

Checked both door handles, everything is good. No blown fuses. Still same problem
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 10:32 AM   #20
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVS View Post
with any of the symptoms the key fob also stops working ? remotely mine doesn't work either. & also i assume my actuators are working because using metal key both doors unlock

Are you sure your key is coded to your car? Does it work at all/intermitently? If not you may need to recode the keyfob to the car.

You may have an antenna issue, if its not seeing your keys at all and your fuse is fine something could be funky with the antenna's/CAS Bus/ or Key coding to the CA module.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 06:05 PM   #21
NightStalker
Rep

Quote:
Are you sure your key is coded to your car? Does it work at all/intermitently? If not you may need to recode the keyfob to the car.

You may have an antenna issue, if its not seeing your keys at all and your fuse is fine something could be funky with the antenna's/CAS Bus/ or Key coding to the CA module.
both are original keys and they worked fine before...it happened as soon as i disconnected the PRND panel from the center console while it was on trickle charge the car.

remote functions and comfort access don't work...only thing works is obviously the metal key & inserting fob to start the car
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 01:06 PM   #22
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
If the key fob isnt working to unlock doors (not comfort access) this is a whole other problem with the central locking system, the keys fob works independantly from the Comfort Access module. I'd say start digging around your CAS and other things.
Appreciate 0