E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Bad Shuttering/Jerking

03-24-2019, 11:40 PM   #1
xfrieddoughx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i/2008 bmw 335xi

Unhappy Bad Shuttering/Jerking

Hey guys, After not solving this issue I went with what everyone said and log it with MHD.Per doing to be completely honest do not know what to look for here and hoping the educated ones here do. I own a 2008 BMW 335XI(N54) Bought it with this issue and a few other issues and this is one that I cannot resolve. First off this is everything mechanically wise done with the car. Before my ownership and during my ownership.
Before PurchaseI found the seller that sold the car to the person I bought the car from, told me this information.Seller I bought it from did not take care of it mechanically.hence this issue.)
Done around 50-60k
New 335is clutch, pressure plate, and dual mass flywheel, guibo
New brakes
New transfer case motor
New dealer installed turbos
New water pump and thermostat
Rear diff brace
MHD Stage 1 tune
Recalls/dealer replaced: Turbos, HPFP, injectors

After Purchase: Done In my ownership:115k
Bosch Spark Plugs
Valve cover Replaced
Valve Cover Gasket
Oil housing gasket
Serpentine Belt
Coolant flush
Oil Change(Liqui molly 5w-40)l
Walnut blasting (115,600)
BMS Dual Cone intake
MHD Stage 1+

Here is the graph created using mhd and then datazap

https://datazap.me/u/golden335/bad-s...log=2&data=3-9

The third chart is the one where I started driving and experienced the shuttering very badly and jerking between 2-3k rpms. I also included photos of each graph.would recommend checking the link to change values and see everything better. It also seems when the engine is warmed up more it does not shutter but it jerks a lot. I do also get a nice smell of gas into my cabin per startup. Then a burning smell into my car cabin after the car running/driving for over 10 minutes.No smoke coming from anywhere in the engine bay or anything that sticks out
I have tried reverting back to stock tune and still gave the same issue.
So, my biggest issues are that when I'm driving between 2-3k rpms I tend to have a bad jerking issue. and typically when the car is warming up or I go to start up the car after not for a few hours I would drive off and the car would struggle or shutter.ONLY does it once when I am in 1st/2nd gear going between that rpms range. after that, the stuttering goes away and for the whole time while I have the car off it jerks. The only way I prevent this issue (jerking) is by giving more gas when starting off in first. Had this issue for several weeks and now it's throwing a Service Engine Soon code which is 2A2C - DME: Mixture Control 2.
I did do the ear to the screwdriver to the injectors to make sure they are all ticking and they all are. Not sure what this issue is and I am a bit lost. Any HELP would be appreciated. Thanks all!
Attached Images

11-26-2020, 10:05 PM   #2
Vivalabmw
Rep
Drives: BMW 318i

Bump
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 11:13 AM   #3
wildbimmer89
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I

Exclamation possible fix

so I had a similar issues, but after I replaced all my sparkplugs and coils and fuel pump and o2 sensors. I still had jerking while driving, and a rough idle. With my MHD tuner app I reset adaptation that fix a lot of the main issues. still having issues with violent jerking and shaking after coming from a stop to jumping on the gas and in 2nd gear it losses power and shakes and jerks. Then when I let out for a second it stops. only happens between 3000 to 4000 rpms. I have done a lot of research about this. some say its a injector issue, some say I need new ATF. so that means going to a transmission service place to get this done. I just bought new injectors so once that come in I hope this fixes this problem. since it doesn't give DME codes and trans codes. This is a hard one to figure out. if anyone have more insight on this please feel free to reach out. we can even do a video call or something to figure this out together. I will keep you all updated with my progress, and finding. I put in a link of a data log
https://datazap.me/u/wildbimmer89/sh...solo=2-5-6-7-8
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 10:05 PM   #4
SweetN54
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 2007, E46 323CI 2000

Exclamation Same issue with mine!

Hey man, I've got the same problem as you, when I come from a stop and I take off either in Drive/2nd gear, the whole car is shuttering barely any power is being made.

Big problem is, I'm not getting any codes thrown at me from MHD or Carly Adapter. I'm hoping you have fixed the problem and if you have, what caused it as I'm going through the same stress right now🤦*♂️
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 09:11 AM   #5
Niru99
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi fbo stage 2+

my car is also jerking but only on heavy accelertaion but sometimes when I let go of the pedal and give it gas again the shaking goes away
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 01:56 PM   #6
sdpatt82
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90 Sport, 235K mi

This sounds more like a camshaft position sensor, VANOS solenoid or crankshaft position sensor fault since it is engine speed dependent. There does seem to be a commonality with the MHD tuner possibly causing the issue, but since the condition continued after the original poster removed the tune, that should eliminate that as a probable causal factor, at least in his case. The fact that you are not seeing any cam or crank related codes would tend to make you look elsewhere. The cam sensors (2 required, Import Direct $89 ea.) and VANOS actuators (2 required, BMW $171.99) are not unusually pricey and quite simple to replace since they are positioned on the front of the head, just below the engine cover. The crank sensor (Import Direct $120 (Continental VDO with numbers etched off)) is a bit more effort to replace since you must remove the air filter box and induction tubing on the driver side of the engine.

I had an engine stall on multiple occasions after a cold start and an apparent, short duration ignition cut-out at intermittent times while in steady-state cruise on the highway with no codes set. Since the car was at 214K miles and the crank sensor was the original, I replaced it and had the engine stall twice while idling on start-ups immediately after the service. That was not the source of the ignition cut-out. On later drives, I then got code 2A99 (crankshaft - outlet camshaft orientation) that pointed more definitively to the camshaft position sensors. I replaced both cam position sensors since they too were originals with more than 214K miles on them and did not experience the ignition cut-out after that.

The VANOS solenoids usually set a VANOS-specific code(s) when they are misbehaving as mine have done when asking for cleaning or replacement. I tried aftermarket brands (Dorman), but found them to set VANOS faults so I bit the financial bullet and replaced the faulty VANOS with the BMW-branded part with a successful outcome.
      12-12-2021, 12:05 PM   #7
xfrieddoughx
Private
Rep

Arrow Problem Solved

So, After alot of replacement parts. There can be a lot that can cause this. My remedy was fuel injectors. So get ready for that 1400+ cost price. NEW not used, you'll regret it as I did.

Mixture control is related to fuel, me looking back at this post reminds me of this headache and i forgot to reply to everyone when I fixed the issue. Happy Holidays!
      12-12-2021, 12:08 PM   #8
xfrieddoughx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetN54 View Post
Hey man, I've got the same problem as you, when I come from a stop and I take off either in Drive/2nd gear, the whole car is shuttering barely any power is being made.

Big problem is, I'm not getting any codes thrown at me from MHD or Carly Adapter. I'm hoping you have fixed the problem and if you have, what caused it as I'm going through the same stress right now🤦*♂️

Hey, Sounds more like you have o2 sensor issues. They cause 60% of issues. OR it could be leaky injectors. If you could get a video or something that can show me more I could help you pin point it. And make sure you don't have any oil leaks. like OFHG or VCG these will cause that too.
      12-12-2021, 12:11 PM   #9
xfrieddoughx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbimmer89 View Post
so I had a similar issues, but after I replaced all my sparkplugs and coils and fuel pump and o2 sensors. I still had jerking while driving, and a rough idle. With my MHD tuner app I reset adaptation that fix a lot of the main issues. still having issues with violent jerking and shaking after coming from a stop to jumping on the gas and in 2nd gear it losses power and shakes and jerks. Then when I let out for a second it stops. only happens between 3000 to 4000 rpms. I have done a lot of research about this. some say its a injector issue, some say I need new ATF. so that means going to a transmission service place to get this done. I just bought new injectors so once that come in I hope this fixes this problem. since it doesn't give DME codes and trans codes. This is a hard one to figure out. if anyone have more insight on this please feel free to reach out. we can even do a video call or something to figure this out together. I will keep you all updated with my progress, and finding. I put in a link of a data log
https://datazap.me/u/wildbimmer89/sh...solo=2-5-6-7-8

Hey, what turned out to be your issue? Mine was injectors.