E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > M57 Valvecover gasket



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-31-2018, 09:32 PM   #45
Yozh
Colonel
Yozh's Avatar
No_Country
676
Rep
2,354
Posts

Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wet Coast

iTrader: (4)

I feel the same for the injector puller. At $30 it was a no brained and worked well on the #6
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #46
Kozlio
New Member
Canada
2
Rep
14
Posts

Drives: 2012 x5d with JR stage 2
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

So how much should I expect to pay for the vcg job at an Indy? I see the part is $89 at aarodriguez. I saw $1,200 being quoted by a dealer in one of the posts above so I figure max half price at Indy.... what’s yr experience or recommend dyi. I’m with a x5d.
I changed the vcg on my e46 with my dad a few years back. Recall the back bolts were hard to reach and took us a whole afternoon following “bs corner’s” instructions on YouTube
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:49 PM   #47
335dlci
Captain
102
Rep
971
Posts

Drives: 335d
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Socal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozlio View Post
So how much should I expect to pay for the vcg job at an Indy? I see the part is $89 at aarodriguez. I saw $1,200 being quoted by a dealer in one of the posts above so I figure max half price at Indy.... whatís yr experience or recommend dyi. Iím with a x5d.
I changed the vcg on my e46 with my dad a few years back. Recall the back bolts were hard to reach and took us a whole afternoon following ďbs cornerísĒ instructions on YouTube
If you think an e46 vcg is a bitch. Dont attempt. You need to remove the intake manifold, injectors with a slide hammer and then the fun getting it started after
.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:01 PM   #48
apexit4
Lieutenant
Poland
89
Rep
455
Posts

Drives: 335D M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozlio View Post
So how much should I expect to pay for the vcg job at an Indy? I see the part is $89 at aarodriguez. I saw $1,200 being quoted by a dealer in one of the posts above so I figure max half price at Indy.... whatís yr experience or recommend dyi. Iím with a x5d.
I changed the vcg on my e46 with my dad a few years back. Recall the back bolts were hard to reach and took us a whole afternoon following ďbs cornerísĒ instructions on YouTube
If you follow the above posted instructions, you should be able to do it yourself if you're mechanically inclined. It's no so much hard as it is tedious. Replacing the valve cover and gasket on my 335D was the first DIY repair I did myself and it turned out fine. Just make sure to read all the suggestions in all the posts on this thread to make your life easier.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:03 PM   #49
apexit4
Lieutenant
Poland
89
Rep
455
Posts

Drives: 335D M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
If you think an e46 vcg is a bitch. Dont attempt. You need to remove the intake manifold, injectors with a slide hammer and then the fun getting it started after
.
Either I got lucky or bleeding the fuel system of air pockets being a PITA is being blown out of proportion. I did it twice without any software related help and the car started up without much of an issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #50
robnitro
Lieutenant
75
Rep
519
Posts

Drives: x5 35d e70 2011
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NYC area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
Either I got lucky or bleeding the fuel system of air pockets being a PITA is being blown out of proportion. I did it twice without any software related help and the car started up without much of an issue.
How did you bleed your system?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:31 PM   #51
apexit4
Lieutenant
Poland
89
Rep
455
Posts

Drives: 335D M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
How did you bleed your system?
IIRC, the first time around (when replacing the valve cover and gasket) my mechanic and I just unscrewed the fuel line from the injectors to get all the air out. Didnt take long for the car to start after that. The second time around was when I did my engine swap. Just let the engine crank a few times and it fired right up (similar to what you'd expect on a gas engine).

Now, whether this is the right process and safe process is up for debate. Just wanted to chime in an point out its completely possible to do without the software and can be relatively painless in some circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 12:36 AM   #52
robnitro
Lieutenant
75
Rep
519
Posts

Drives: x5 35d e70 2011
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NYC area

iTrader: (0)

The software bleeds the inj pump and fuel filter, which isn't emptied by the injector removal. Air is in the line that goes to the injectors and air in the injectors themselves.

I guess common rail bleeds easier. My tdi with rotary pump was a bitch to bleed after nozzles changed.

I don't see any harm there since the inj pump is not dry. How much cranking did you have to do?
Appreciate 1
apexit489.00

      01-13-2019, 08:18 AM   #53
apexit4
Lieutenant
Poland
89
Rep
455
Posts

Drives: 335D M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
The software bleeds the inj pump and fuel filter, which isn't emptied by the injector removal. Air is in the line that goes to the injectors and air in the injectors themselves.

I guess common rail bleeds easier. My tdi with rotary pump was a bitch to bleed after nozzles changed.

I don't see any harm there since the inj pump is not dry. How much cranking did you have to do?
Good to know, thanks for the insight. I'd say that both times it took around 5, maybe 6 cycles of the ignition. I'm a little hazy on the exact amount of times I had to try since it's been a while since I did it. But I do remember it didn't give me much of an issue either time.
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #54
itsbrokeagain
itsbrokeagain's Avatar
United_States
290
Rep
15,744
Posts

Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Strong Island

iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to itsbrokeagain
new turbos are in on my truck and the smoking stopped. The oil drains were clogged up solid, so all the oil was pushing out the seals and into the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 09:07 PM   #55
DozerDan82
Private First Class
United_States
28
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 335d
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
IIRC, the first time around (when replacing the valve cover and gasket) my mechanic and I just unscrewed the fuel line from the injectors to get all the air out.
Just like every old diesel out there. That is how I did mine at first. It fired but then was air bound again. I jumped the pump under the seat, that seemed to do the trick as it was fine after that (also re bled the lines after that)

I am doing mine again here shortly, so I can report back again.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 10:42 PM   #56
apexit4
Lieutenant
Poland
89
Rep
455
Posts

Drives: 335D M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan82 View Post
Just like every old diesel out there. That is how I did mine at first. It fired but then was air bound again. I jumped the pump under the seat, that seemed to do the trick as it was fine after that (also re bled the lines after that)

I am doing mine again here shortly, so I can report back again.
Keep us posted, although I suspect you wont have much of an issue.

What do you mean by jumping the pump under the seat? Is that a reference to the E90 or another diesel of yours?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 07:41 PM   #57
DozerDan82
Private First Class
United_States
28
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 335d
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
Keep us posted, although I suspect you wont have much of an issue.

What do you mean by jumping the pump under the seat? Is that a reference to the E90 or another diesel of yours?
E90- The low pressure pump, under the ps of the rear seat. Very easy to access.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 07:57 PM   #58
apexit4
Lieutenant
Poland
89
Rep
455
Posts

Drives: 335D M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan82 View Post
E90- The low pressure pump, under the ps of the rear seat. Very easy to access.
Ahhh, I should have known. For some reason my mind defaulted to the front seats which had me puzzled
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 09:20 PM   #59
DozerDan82
Private First Class
United_States
28
Rep
122
Posts

Drives: 335d
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: New Jersey

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozh View Post
I feel the same for the injector puller. At $30 it was a no brained and worked well on the #6
I made an adapter for the slide hammer. In this case I borrowed one from work bc I could not find a 5/8-18 tap to make one for my slide hammer, and a co worker had one with a M16 end. We have all metric bolts so finding an M16 and a M14x1.5 nut was easy, 30 seconds on the melting machine and done.

Worked like a charm.

Also - realized that you can use a 12 17mm to remove the injector side of the fuel lines. Remove the lines from the rail side, you can 'move' them enough to sneak the box end of the 17mm onto them, then it fits the injector side just fine. My flare wrench was too thick to fit, and the open end did not align right. I was going to turn my 12pt box wrench into a flare wrench but tried this first. Done and done
Attached Images
  
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 05:01 AM   #60
robnitro
Lieutenant
75
Rep
519
Posts

Drives: x5 35d e70 2011
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NYC area

iTrader: (0)

Yep i did similar with the nuts but used threaded rod and a heavy large socket as my weight.
I have 2 threaded rods, one is longer and curved a bit for injector 6 , so I didn't have to remove the plastic bits to get to that one.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST