E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD Wifi OBDII Adapters

09-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #45
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarzz View Post
well played MHD...
Yeah....I'm sure if the $12 adapters worked...the MHD ones wouldn't be so expensive!!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2020, 09:09 PM   #46
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Only the MHD dongle works with MHD from all that I've read/seen
Really!!?? I just purchased the Bimmergeeks protool coding license and their BT OBD2 adapter. I'm also purchasing the MHD Super license and was under the impression that the Bimmergeeks dongle would work with the MHD. That's going to make my blood boil if I can't.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 10:21 PM   #47
rndmguy06
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpalmer71 View Post
Really!!?? I just purchased the Bimmergeeks protool coding license and their BT OBD2 adapter. I'm also purchasing the MHD Super license and was under the impression that the Bimmergeeks dongle would work with the MHD. That's going to make my blood boil if I can't.
Blood boil? I feel you as I shared the picture in post #31. And I bought the MHD Dongle. It now sits in my car because not a single MHD App works for my M57 335d on iOS. I did use the dongle for a xHP reading of my transmission clutch plates.

I have enjoyed my basic wifi amazon dongle with BimmerLink on iOS. Well worth the money for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #48
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

Yes, if I have to buy the orange wifi connector in order to use MHD after purchasing the BG adapter thinking I'd be able to use it for both the temperature of my blood will indeed raise to the boiling point. 2 months and nothing has been even relatively close to easy thus far. Having a drawer full of OBD2 dongles is silly.

After reading post #31 over again I might be good after all as I'm an android user. Maybe I wasn't directed wrong after all.

Last edited by fgpalmer71; 10-28-2020 at 09:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 11:44 PM   #49
rndmguy06
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpalmer71 View Post
Yes, if I have to buy the orange wifi connector in order to use MHD after purchasing the BG adapter thinking I'd be able to use ot for both the temperature of my blood will in raise to the boiling point. 2 months and nothing has been even relatively close to easy thus far. Having a drawer full of OBD2 dongles is silly.

After reading post #31 over again I might be good after all as I'm an android user. Maybe I wasn't directed wrong after all.
I would have been an android user all along except work requires and provides an iPhone. Sure has made things more complicated. At least ISTA works amazing with Win10! I still might buy a cheap Android tablet for all my BMW concerns.

When will BimmerCode/Link Support the Orange Dongle on iOS? Its not like I could have used the black ENET dongle for my e90...
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 05:24 PM   #50
maarzz
E92 335i P/S/C Pkg Monteg blue
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i PSCW-Pkg Montego blue

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
So if I am understanding it right, the take away is that if someone has an option to use an Android device for MHD, then that is the way to go instead of IOs, and there is no work around the $70 Orange MHD adapter.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 06:02 PM   #51
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
So if I am understanding it right, the take away is that if someone has an option to use an Android device for MHD, then that is the way to go instead of IOs, and there is no work around the $70 Orange MHD adapter.
You don't need the orange mhd bluetooth adapter unless you have an iphone. Android users can use a DCAN cable and OTG adapter instead if they dont want to buy the bluetooth adapter
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 07:41 AM   #52
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
You don't need the orange mhd bluetooth adapter unless you have an iphone. Android users can use a DCAN cable and OTG adapter instead if they dont want to buy the bluetooth adapter
Correct.....

The only reason the orange MHD adapter comes in handy is if you want to use a phone or tablet to display the gauges and log as you are driving....and dont want to mess with a cable always getting in the way.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #53
maarzz
E92 335i P/S/C Pkg Monteg blue
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i PSCW-Pkg Montego blue

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Quote:
Correct.....

The only reason the orange MHD adapter comes in handy is if you want to use a phone or tablet to display the gauges and log as you are driving....and dont want to mess with a cable always getting in the way.
Oh wow! That's awesome! Thanks both, this means the car will get some steroid boost much sooner.
      10-14-2020, 06:25 PM   #54
rndmguy06
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdSM n54iS View Post
Bimmercode just emailed me back this morning saying they have plans to release for IOS just no fixed date yet. I can wait till end of the year I guess...
I finally acquired an android phone to begin my BMW dongle/app journey. I reached out to Bimmerlink if my app purchase can transfer to the android or if they would support iOS and the Orange MHD Dongle. Their email reply was this...

"Hi, the next BimmerLink update will support this adapter as well." I followed up with is that days, weeks, or months?

Their reply, "The update will be available within the next few weeks." Sweet! I might not have to use an android phone after all!

I am not saying everyone should hold their breath, but I hope I don't pass out before it actually happens. There is a growing list of coding I would like to do and I have not dabbled into NCS Dummy yet.
Appreciate 2
      10-21-2020, 12:26 AM   #55
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 335is | '16 Macan Turbo

I'm about to just purchase the orange dongle now for IOS and wait for bimmercode to be supported
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2020, 04:25 PM   #56
Aqid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

MHD Tuning

Question for you:

I recently installed the MHD WIFI adapter and am running a permanent tablet in the car with the purpose of "Gauge display" and changing a map when I need to. The tablet disconnects the wifi when the car turns off, to preserve battery of both the tablet and the car, and enables wifi upon start of the car. This is because otherwise the wifi connection will stay active and drain both the tablet's battery as well as the car's battery.

Here is the problem with that setup: But upon disconnect and reconnect of the wifi adapter, the gauges in the monitoring module stop responding.

This can be easily simulated. Just open MHD, connect the wifi adapter, go to data logging and start the car. With everything working, disable and then enable the wifi on the tablet/phone that mhd is running on. The gauges in the datalogger are now stuck, even after the wifi is fully reconnected.

Is there a way we can get a reconnect button or even better, for the application to automatically re-establish the connection upon wifi disconnect and reconnect in one of the future updates of MHD? That would be amazing for people like me.

I hope what I wrote makes sense. If anymore information is needed please contact me. Vielen dank und einen schönen Tag

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 09:13 AM   #57
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqid View Post
MHD Tuning

Question for you:

I recently installed the MHD WIFI adapter and am running a permanent tablet in the car with the purpose of "Gauge display" and changing a map when I need to. The tablet disconnects the wifi when the car turns off, to preserve battery of both the tablet and the car, and enables wifi upon start of the car. This is because otherwise the wifi connection will stay active and drain both the tablet's battery as well as the car's battery.

Here is the problem with that setup: But upon disconnect and reconnect of the wifi adapter, the gauges in the monitoring module stop responding.

This can be easily simulated. Just open MHD, connect the wifi adapter, go to data logging and start the car. With everything working, disable and then enable the wifi on the tablet/phone that mhd is running on. The gauges in the datalogger are now stuck, even after the wifi is fully reconnected.

Is there a way we can get a reconnect button or even better, for the application to automatically re-establish the connection upon wifi disconnect and reconnect in one of the future updates of MHD? That would be amazing for people like me.

I hope what I wrote makes sense. If anymore information is needed please contact me. Vielen dank und einen schönen Tag
Your better of emailing them

mhd.tuning@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 12:57 PM   #58
GearHead335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive LCI

Hope this info helps everyone in this thread as it was a solution for everything I was struggling with when I couldn’t find anyone that had the mhd dongle in stock. I purchased the THOR dongle from bimmergeek, it runs;

1.) MHD successfully, displays gauges while driving with no problem, and have never had a problem with it losing connection while logging or losing connection at all once I’m in the car and it’s connected. In fact if I walk near the car and it’s plugged in sometimes it will just connect automatically but that was before I started unplugging it.

2.) runs bimmergeek tool

3.) XHP

4.) xDelete

5.) all of this is being done on my iPhone 11 Pro Max

6.) lifetime warranty

In short, buy yourself a THOR dongle.

https://www.bimmergeeks.net/product-...p-wifi-adapter
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 02:54 PM   #59
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

!!!!!

Name:  Bimmercode.jpg
Views: 3785
Size:  88.9 KB
GruppeM CF Intake | AR Resonated DP | ER CP | Turbosmart RacePort BOV | Cobb FMIC | RB Inlets | RB External Mishi/Turner OCC | Michelin PS4 | BMW Performance Springs/Bilstein B8 + Dinan & M3 bits | BMW Brembo BBK | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | BMW Performance CF Lip | BMW Performance Alcantara | PS Designs GTS Armrest | AG H6-40 | Rear Seat Delete
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #60
rndmguy06
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sweet! I have been checking nearly everyday with my fingers crossed...I guess today is finally the day!

Hopefully BimmerLink is next...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #61
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmguy06 View Post
Sweet! I have been checking nearly everyday with my fingers crossed...I guess today is finally the day!

Hopefully BimmerLink is next...
Ya yesterday was technically the day lol but oh well. Somebody else be the guinea pig though I don't wanna f anything up .

What does Bimmerlink do that either MHD or Foxwell/INPA can't?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #62
rndmguy06
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ya yesterday was technically the day lol but oh well. Somebody else be the guinea pig though I don't wanna f anything up .

What does Bimmerlink do that either MHD or Foxwell/INPA can't?
They are different. BimmerLink is a code reader and can clear dash lights. I have a bad glow plug (part arrived yesterday) and the wifi dongle I am using is quite slow. Takes a long time to connect, read codes, and clear them.

I also like using BimmerLink to check my dpf regen status.

[Update] Read your post wrong the first time. BimmerLink cannot do everything (or much) that INPA can.

Last edited by rndmguy06; 11-20-2020 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 09:54 AM   #63
rndmguy06
United_States
Rep

All,

Thought I would share an update on the BimmerLink for iOS. I reached out to the company and asked about a Link timeline since the BimmerCode app has already been updated to use with the MHD Orange Dongle. They sent me a beta link for the BimmerLink software. My testing will start today. I imagine there will be no issues since I am focusing on the communication protocol and not a feature update.

I purchased the BimmerLink last week and coded out a few things on my e90 2011 BMW 335d. It was seamless and functioned exactly as I hoped. Coding was quick and the explanations were brief but very informative. I will try out expert mode to fix the notoriously bad BMW fast by 5 mph issue. ( A little nervous actually... )

Until then, I am looking forward to trying out both the beta BimmerLink and expert mode with BimmerCode! Hopefully this makes it easier for us iOS users as it is so much faster than pulling out the laptop for ISTA+!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 07:08 PM   #64
Fuel-It!
Banned
Rep
Drives: M4, M5, M2C, X4M, 440i, etc...

Quote:
well played MHD...
I think they make a few bucks of these but really the money is in selling the flash maps themselves. Remember for the $69 they also have to provide support, deal with all the questions, deal with scammers, replace them when they crap out, etc, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 03:42 PM   #65
BSM n54iS
Brigadier General
Rep

BimmerCode has a Cyber Monday sale it looks like. $27 instead of $32.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2020, 10:09 PM   #66
rndmguy06
United_States
Rep

Quote:
BimmerCode has a Cyber Monday sale it looks like. $27 instead of $32.
Haha looks like I just lost $5... but i programmed my speedo (pretty easy) fixed my turn signals to 5 blinks, disabled the passenger seatbelt alarm for my 40 lb dog, etc. Been quite busy!
Appreciate 0