E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > E92 335xi Starting new custom cat back exhaust project

11-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Atsnow
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi, 2010 Boxster S

E92 335xi Starting new custom cat back exhaust project * Sound clips added*

* Sound clips added*
I have replaced my E90 30i sedan with a 335xi coupe since July and I love the car , however I have always been a bit disappointed with the way it sounds, I unplugged the actuator like shown here (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80661) and it did help but it’s not what I’m looking for

On the 330i I had a Remus Powersound exhaust and just loved it, it was very quiet for an aftermarket muffler but sounded low and deep, I also had a Simota Intake which gave it a very racy sound without being too loud.
my criteria for a new exhaust was to try and get something similar in sound to the Remus that is low and deep and relatively quiet and not spent more the 500$ , spending $1300 for an exhaust was not an option and most of them are too loud for my liking anyways

After doing quite a bit of research and listening to more sound files and videos that I care to mention I have taken the plunge and ordered Magnaflow Universal mufflers part number 11236 2.5” offset/offset unpolished Stainless ( Same as Mr.5 but Unpolished) , I took unpolished as I will be painting them black anyway , These will be installed with new 2.5” piping starting at the cats and will include a Magnaflow 10781 X-Pipe

So far I paid $150 for the mufflers (taxes and shipping included) and I was quoted $350 at the worst for installation ,including the X-pipe, at the exhaust shop so I am right at my price range of $500 (I did not order tips as I already have 3.5” Vibrant tips)

I will be receiving the mufflers tomorrow and the install is scheduled for Monday

I will keep you posted

Last edited by Atsnow; 11-09-2010 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #2
Boostin335
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, C8, MKIV Supra

subscribed for sound clips, and driving impressions
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
Atsnow
Captain
Rep

I received the mufflers today and I'm quite happy with the way they look, the build quality is nice and even though I took the unpolished version the finish was surprisingly nice,

Her they are prep for paint

Since I did not want shinny mufflers I decided to go with the unpolished version and save $25 per muffler but I wanted some protection for them (even though they are stainless) so I painted them Satin Black using VHT caliper paint

Here is how they look painted

For tips I already have Vibrant 3.5”angle cut tips on my car and I will reuse them with with the mufflers

Tips

I might get a chance to get them installed tomorrow but more likely it will happen on Monday

I’ll keep you posted

Last edited by Atsnow; 11-09-2010 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
Atsnow
Captain
Rep

Ok so I had the Magnaflow mufflers installed yesterday but things went a little different then originally planned

When I got to the muffler shop the technician who was to do my car took a look under the car and ask me what was my objective in changing the exhaust ( performance or sound) , I explained to him that I was only doing this for the sound aspect and I wanted to remain relatively quiet , knowing this he explained that in his opinion it was not worth it for me to change the whole piping back from the cats since my car had what looks like an X-Pipe already and all I might get in replacing it with the Magnaflow X-Pipe is more loudness.

He instead proposed doing an axle back installation of the mufflers and drive it for a while to see if I liked it like that, if not we would the simply replace all tubing from the cats back and use separate piping as this will get better performance and in his opinion won’t really induce drone if I do not take out the cats. option 3 is to take out the secondary cats but in his opinion I would get a lot of noise for little gain a better move if i decide I want more power and loudness is to install HiFlow downpipes

I liked the plan as it reduced costs and meant I could do it in steps, my spending so far is $150 for the mufflers and $180 for installation for a total of $330

Ok so how does it sound? One word amazing, going into this I was looking for a low and deep rumble similar to the Remus Powersound I had on my E90 330i and its very close only deeper and a little louder , also I wanted a relatively quiet exhaust and I have achieved that it makes beautiful sounds at WOT but it’s very quiet cruising all in all I have to say that first impressions are very good however I prefer to wait and see how they sound after the placebo effect of a new install has passed and having driven on them for 200-300 miles but so far so good

A few observations, on cold starts it’s deeper but not loud compared to golf tee mod , it does not drone but does sometimes have what I would describe as a slightly booming sound in the cabin when you’re in top gear and accelerate from 1800 to 2200 rpm if you have an automatic car that would be the sweet spot of highway cruising and might be annoying I have a 6MT so not an issue for me , also everything I have read about mufflers say that they will changed not necessarily in tonality but surely in loudness after a few hundred miles so I will wait before giving my final verdict

As I have said before I listened to a lot of clips before making my choice and now that I have mine I can really tell you that clips don’t do justice to what you hear in person (you do not feel the bass sound coming gout of the exhaust) and if you can go at meets and listen to systems before making you decision do it it will be worth your time but for those who insist here a a few clips for you the first one is with OEM mufflers for reference and the 2 others are with the new mufflers.

you will need to click on the pictures to see the videos , enjoy!

Warm start idle and revving with OEM mufflers and golf tee mod (Actually sound very good)

Cold start idle with Magnaflow mufflers

Warm start idle and revving with Magnaflow mufflers

Last edited by Atsnow; 11-09-2010 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 0