E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Cord Cutting - Blogging My Experience...

02-21-2018, 01:24 PM   #133
NicoleLusts4BMW
BeachBitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M Package 20" wheels

So excuse me for my ignorance but I have a few (maybe dumb) questions.

For one we have Comcast everything. Our bill is ~$180/month with no premium channels but very fast internet and pretty much every channel again except for any premiums.

We would like a bill closer to ~$100-$120.

With that said I get that we can cut the cable cord and get many of the alternatives for TV watching as mentioned already.

Am I correct in assuming I would still need Comcast for my internet connection?

No need for a land line. Just internet. My TV watching can come from another source. Is this correct?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #134
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

We cut the cord years ago

I have internet $55/mo
Netflix and Hulu $24/mo via my Apple TV

Over the air antenna in the attic for news and sports.
Abc. NBC. CBS. Fox. PBS and 12 other channels. One time price of $60 for the antenna and coax connections.

No regrets!!!!

02-21-2018, 02:01 PM   #135
paimon.soror
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLusts4BMW View Post
So excuse me for my ignorance but I have a few (maybe dumb) questions.

For one we have Comcast everything. Our bill is ~$180/month with no premium channels but very fast internet and pretty much every channel again except for any premiums.

We would like a bill closer to ~$100-$120.

With that said I get that we can cut the cable cord and get many of the alternatives for TV watching as mentioned already.

No need for a land line. Just internet. My TV watching can come from another source. Is this correct?

Thanks.
Yup thats correct. You may have other internet providers in the area that provide a better bargain for internet (For example FIOS which has faster internet and larger data caps compared to comcast/cox).
      02-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #136
Chihuahua
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLusts4BMW View Post

Thanks.
Correct. As of right now we have an internet connection, and never did have a land line. All of my TV watching is being streamed through my internet connection.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 10:29 PM   #137
Chihuahua
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

OK, so we are about 45 days into this and here is my experience:

We have DirecTV Now, biggest package they had and added HBO. Cost is about $75. You are allowed no more than two concurrent streams on one account; it's not a problem for use since there's only two of us here. Both TVs that we watch the most are on Apple TV 4th gen boxes.

DirecTV Now DOES freeze up from time to time, definitely much more than it ever did when we were on cable. Most times you can resolve it by changing the channel, then going back to what you were watching. But it is HIGHLY annoying when it happens. Yesterday I had to reload the ID channel SIX FRIGGING TIMES just to get it to stream video and sound (I was getting video, no sound). Sometimes it happens so often that you literally give up on watching whatever show you were enjoying. It does happen to us on some channels more than others for some reason. I connected the Apple TV devices directly to the router the CAT5 cables, and that helped out a touch with the freezing and picture quality. Internet provider is solid, speeds are right where they should be so I know that's not the issue. Two weeks ago DTV Now's entire system crashed for about 30 minutes. It's a shame because the DTV interface is great as is the channel lineup. Also, some network's apps don't give you access with your DTV Now account. Lack of DVR is also no bueno. They have some work to do over there, I feel like this is still a Beta version not quite ready for prime time.

I'm going to give DTV about another 90 days until the trial period is up, then we're going to give Playstaion Vue a try.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2018, 11:59 PM   #138
dkracing
Don't Hate My V8
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post

We have DirecTV Now, biggest package they had and added HBO. Cost is about $75. You are allowed no more than two concurrent streams on one account; it's not a problem for use since there's only two of us here. Both TVs that we watch the most are on Apple TV 4th gen boxes.

DirecTV Now DOES freeze up from time to time, definitely much more than it ever did when we were on cable. Most times you can resolve it by changing the channel, then going back to what you were watching. But it is HIGHLY annoying when it happens. Yesterday I had to reload the ID channel SIX FRIGGING TIMES just to get it to stream video and sound (I was getting video, no sound). Sometimes it happens so often that you literally give up on watching whatever show you were enjoying. It does happen to us on some channels more than others for some reason. I connected the Apple TV devices directly to the router the CAT5 cables, and that helped out a touch with the freezing and picture quality. Internet provider is solid, speeds are right where they should be so I know that's not the issue. Two weeks ago DTV Now's entire system crashed for about 30 minutes. It's a shame because the DTV interface is great as is the channel lineup. Also, some network's apps don't give you access with your DTV Now account. Lack of DVR is also no bueno. They have some work to do over there, I feel like this is still a Beta version not quite ready for prime time.

I'm going to give DTV about another 90 days until the trial period is up, then we're going to give Playstaion Vue a try.
DirecTV Now's freeze ups lost me as a customer.

The straw that broke the camel's back was while watching The Walking Dead and in an intense scene it froze and I missed it.

Additionally, I needed a system to not sleep after an amount of hours, and no matter what I tried the application would go to sleep after like 4 hours. I have a puppy and I like to leave some background noise for him.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 09:33 PM   #139
Chihuahua
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkracing View Post
DirecTV Now's freeze ups lost me as a customer.

The straw that broke the camel's back was while watching The Walking Dead and in an intense scene it froze and I missed it.

Additionally, I needed a system to not sleep after an amount of hours, and no matter what I tried the application would go to sleep after like 4 hours. I have a puppy and I like to leave some background noise for him.
What's weird is that some channels seem to be more affected than others. We watch the ID channel quite a bit, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it freezes at least twice per hour so bad that I have to change channels and retune to ID 4 and 5 times over just to get video and sound. Meanwhile, I can watch a full game on NHL network without issue. But yea, it freezes up way more than it should. I've had Destination America completely fail to load at least twice; I gave up and watched something else, but you shouldn't have to do that. Like I said, I feel like I'm paying DirecTV to be a beta tester. At least I get to keep the Apple TV 4K from the deal.

I will definitely be switching to PS Vue when this trial period is up in about 45 days.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2018, 12:01 AM   #140
dkracing
Don't Hate My V8
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
What's weird is that some channels seem to be more affected than others. We watch the ID channel quite a bit, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it freezes at least twice per hour so bad that I have to change channels and retune to ID 4 and 5 times over just to get video and sound. Meanwhile, I can watch a full game on NHL network without issue. But yea, it freezes up way more than it should. I've had Destination America completely fail to load at least twice; I gave up and watched something else, but you shouldn't have to do that. Like I said, I feel like I'm paying DirecTV to be a beta tester. At least I get to keep the Apple TV 4K from the deal.

I will definitely be switching to PS Vue when this trial period is up in about 45 days.
I think ISPs who own Cable plans do it on purpose.

Like oh if I hiccup his streaming he is less likely to jump and cord cut.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #141
Vincz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 GT350

Quote:

We had the exact same experience, now on playstation VUE for 40$ a mo, its MUCH better
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #142
Chihuahua
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincz View Post
We had the exact same experience, now on playstation VUE for 40$ a mo, its MUCH better
Thanks for the insight, VUE is my next stop on this train.
Appreciate 0