E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Exhaust heat wrap in Boston?

11-17-2022, 04:56 PM   #1
335boston
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Exhaust heat wrap in Boston?

Hey guys , trying to get a definitive answer on this and hoping some New England guys can chime in as well. I'm going single turbo top mount and every post I see about this discussion has said to do the heat wrap but I have yet to see one post about doing it in the northeast . Just wondering what's the overall consensus on it ,

Also the kit will be ceramic coated from doc race unsure how good it is or not but I know that makes a difference! Thank you in advanced !
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2022, 08:33 AM   #2
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Yes DEI heat wrap over ceramic coating. You HAVE to do your downpipe. Your manifold is optional.

The 'fear' is the exhaust wrap holds in moisture which will prematurely rust away your manifold.

I only wrapped my downpipe.

Have fun with doc race
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2022, 12:05 PM   #3
335boston
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
Yes DEI heat wrap over ceramic coating. You HAVE to do your downpipe. Your manifold is optional.

The 'fear' is the exhaust wrap holds in moisture which will prematurely rust away your manifold.

Have fun with doc race
Hey man ,

Good to hear from you again , and okay sweet I'll do the down pipe only , and yeah been having some extreme issues with doc race hopefully we'll sort them out .
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 08:35 AM   #4
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
DR now makes their n54 manifolds in China. Their quality has gone down so I have read. Best of luck man! Use the quality SS zip ties, overlap plnety with the exhaust wrap, and it really helps if you have a buddy with you. You want it on there SNUG AF with a good overlap.

I should clarify, on my ACF kit the exhaust wrap was not needed on the manifold as none of the oil lines or wastegate lines came close to it. Now DR may be different. If ANY line can come close to a 'hot part' you are much better off fire sleeving the line: https://www.amazon.com/Sleeve-Motors.../dp/B01HALP4H0 <-- using stuff like that. It is a PITA to redo lines etc. If a line could move from violent acceleration or a long turn etc and come in contact with the manifold downpipe etc fire wrap it.

GOLD TAPE DOES FUCK ALL. DO NOT USE GOLD TAPE. 100% NOT NEEDED. DOES NOTHING. LOOKS LIKE FUCKING ABSOLUTE GARBAGE.

Last edited by Torgus; 11-26-2022 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2022, 03:28 PM   #5
335boston
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
DR now makes their n54 manifolds in China. Their quality has gone down so I have read. Best of luck man! Use the quality SS zip ties, overlap plnety with the exhaust wrap, and it really helps if you have a buddy with you. You want it on there SNUG AF with a good overlap.

I should clarify, on my ACF kit the exhaust wrap was not needed on the manifold as none of the oil lines or wastegate lines came close to it. Now DR may be different. If ANY line can come close to a 'hot part' you are much better off fire sleeving the line: https://www.amazon.com/Sleeve-Motors.../dp/B01HALP4H0 <-- using stuff like that. It is a PITA to redo lines etc. If a line could move from violent acceleration or a long turn etc and come in contact with the manifold downpipe etc fire wrap it.

GOLD TAPE DOES FUCK ALL. DO NOT USE GOLD TAPE. 100% NOT NEEDED. DOES NOTHING. LOOKS LIKE FUCKING ABSOLUTE GARBAGE.
Hey ! Thanks for the reply !

Yeah unfortunately my experience so far with doc has been very brutal , I don't want to write a full detailed description on what's been happening so far until it's all settled still waiting to see if they are going to make this right . Sucks to hear of the quality issue as I have seen it first hand (manifold cracked on me).

As for the lines it's funny you mention the fire wrap , I just bought it through DEI for both the feed and the return. Also after reading on the reviews of the doc oil return line , I also bought a stainless steel line with 2 45 degree fittings for the oil return so it's going to look great flow well and hopefully not leak / deteriorate like the reviews on the supplied line.

I also bought the DEI Titanium exhaust wrap for the down pipe . Hoping this will be the last time taking the kit apart for a long time lol!
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      11-29-2022, 12:54 PM   #6
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Yeah DR manifolds cracking is an issue they are VERY aware of. Sucks.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2022, 12:56 PM   #7
nictobin
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335boston View Post
Quote:

Have fun with doc race
Hey man ,

Good to hear from you again , and okay sweet I'll do the down pipe only , and yeah been having some extreme issues with doc race hopefully we'll sort them out .
i would also only do the downpipe, the manifold just seems like it's too much work for not enough gain
Appreciate 1