E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > P0456 Evap Leak & Smoke Test Help

05-29-2023, 11:12 AM   #1
AggieZig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E91 328xi

Garage List
P0456 Evap Leak & Smoke Test Help

Hi Everyone, posting this in the general forum with hopes it will catch someone's attention who might be able to shed some light.

I'm looking for some help diagnosing a P0456 - Evap leak detected (very small leak) code. This is on a 2010 E91 with the N52 motor.

Initially, I thought I might as well just throw a gas cap at it since it could be a cheap fix. Unfortunately, the code returned.

Today, I tried to smoke test the evap system to see if I could find any obvious leaks. I disconnected the tank vent valve line (under the throttle body) and fed the smoke from there.

- Confirmed the gas cap is not leaking
- No visible leaks from the DMTL, charcoal cannister, or any fittings
- No visible leaks from tank caps where senders/fuel pumps bolt up

However, I did notice a ton of smoking coming out from the dust filter / intake that feeds the DMTL unit. I'm not sure if this should be normally venting or if it should only let air into the DMTL unit.

View post on imgur.com

Is this normal venting? Or is the DMTL unit letting smoke through that it should not be?

I am also noticing a pretty strong gasoline vapor smell while the DMTL pump is running. Could that be indicative of anything?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 11:22 AM   #2
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

That DMTL pipe looks like plastic, so you cannot just clamp it (it will break). I would think you need to block it and see where the smoke comes out from.

If the pump is running and you smell gas, that is probably where the leak is. Maybe you can place the pump in place of the DMTL and try that. Hopefully smoke will come out where the gas smell did.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2023, 11:32 AM   #3
spazzz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi MHD&XHP,2013 X1 35i

I took off the wheel and removed the filter cartridge.
I had a piece of fuel line hose laying around that fit in the filter housing pipe perfectly.
This is where BMW used to or still does?? recommend. They used to sell a service kit for this.
It will never pressurize the system unless you short the DMTL pump to close otherwise.

Name:  evap hose.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  232.0 KB
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2023, 11:33 AM   #4
AggieZig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainbearing View Post
That DMTL pipe looks like plastic, so you cannot just clamp it (it will break). I would think you need to block it and see where the smoke comes out from.

If the pump is running and you smell gas, that is probably where the leak is. Maybe you can place the pump in place of the DMTL and try that. Hopefully smoke will come out where the gas smell did.
I'm just wondering why the smoke is venting through the DTML intake pipe instead of through the charcoal canister? If that path is normally open when the DTML isn't running, then wouldn't fuel vapors be able to escape through the same path instead of being forced through the CC?

It looks like the DMTL is designed with a "change over valve" inside and I'm wondering if mine is malfunctioning or stuck open. I do have a replacement DMTL on order, but not totally convinced that will solve the issue.

Agree with you on the gas smell while pump is running. The idea being that if the pump is pressurizing the tank, and I smell gas, it's leaking from somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 11:35 AM   #5
AggieZig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
I took off the wheel and removed the filter cartridge.
I had a piece of fuel line hose laying around that fit in the filter housing pipe perfectly.
This is where BMW used to or still does?? recommend. They used to sell a service kit for this.
It will never pressurize the system unless you short the DMTL pump to close otherwise.
That makes sense. I will try this later today and see if I can spot a leak anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 12:14 PM   #6
335i54n
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e39 m5

you need to electronically close the evap sys to smoke it. i would inpect the senders for cracks, test the purge valve and lastly replace the dtml
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 01:43 PM   #7
AggieZig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i54n View Post
you need to electronically close the evap sys to smoke it. i would inpect the senders for cracks, test the purge valve and lastly replace the dtml
Thanks for the tip. How do you close the evap system - is it a matter of jumping pins somewhere or a function in ISTA?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 11:16 PM   #8
AggieZig
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for all the help. I ran the smoke test again with the line connected up to the input for the DMTL motor and was able to pressurize the system. I found the leak, both fuel pump and sending unit caps had cracks that were hidden under the dirt.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 07:16 AM   #9
53N30W
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieZig View Post
Thanks for all the help. I ran the smoke test again with the line connected up to the input for the DMTL motor and was able to pressurize the system. I found the leak, both fuel pump and sending unit caps had cracks that were hidden under the dirt.
This is great information as I have been fighting a war with the same thing for a longtime. So many great tidbits on this site, even if you are not having a problem now. Cheers
Appreciate 0