E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > No "software update" tab in "Settings menu

09-20-2015, 01:01 PM   #1
rspring
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

No "software update" tab in "Settings menu

Hi, I posted this in the stereo section, trying again here:

I'm trying to update my software so that I can get more functionality out of my iPhone 6 with my nav and stereo, but I have no "software update" in my "settings" menu. Is there a way to turn this on?

2011 335d.

Last 7 of my vin is A780511

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 04:27 AM   #2
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rspring
Hi, I posted this in the stereo section, trying again here:

I'm trying to update my software so that I can get more functionality out of my iPhone 6 with my nav and stereo, but I have no "software update" in my "settings" menu. Is there a way to turn this on?

2011 335d.

Last 7 of my vin is A780511

Thanks!!
Your build is 05/2010.

The software update function is only for vehicles equipped with the Combox (option code 6VC) which started in 09/2010 builds and beyond. You have the older TCU/MULF combination and require a dealership trip to update the software.

This is also why you don't have features like A2DP Bluetooth audio and BMW Apps/ConnectedDrive.

You would need to perform a Combox retrofit to gain these options.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2015, 08:25 AM   #3
rspring
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Thank you Dracon!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 09:06 AM   #4
david173
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Your build is 05/2010.

The software update function is only for vehicles equipped with the Combox (option code 6VC) which started in 09/2010 builds and beyond. You have the older TCU/MULF combination and require a dealership trip to update the software.

This is also why you don't have features like A2DP Bluetooth audio and BMW Apps/ConnectedDrive.

You would need to perform a Combox retrofit to gain these options.
I know this is an old post, but I've been searching high and low for answers on this. Just bought a 2011 330d, I have Bluetooth phone and audio, but I can't get either mine or my partner's phones to pair, and thought an update might be worth a try. Every reply I can find on this topic says cars before 09/10 without combox don't have software update option, but I have a 04/11 build date AND I have the combox option on my build sheet, but still no software update option?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 02:50 AM   #5
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

You may need to update the firmware on the combox mate, (icom required).

You should be able to pair though regardless.

The type of phone you have will be important too, iphones seem to work best (they were/are one of BMW phone partners).

If you have androids then it can be hit or miss.

Firmware update, then update with the usb bin file.

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #6
david173
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
You may need to update the firmware on the combox mate, (icom required).

You should be able to pair though regardless.

The type of phone you have will be important too, iphones seem to work best (they were/are one of BMW phone partners).

If you have androids then it can be hit or miss.

Firmware update, then update with the usb bin file.
Thanks for the reply! It's really annoying to buy a car with a specific feature, but there's no comeback if it doesnt work. That's Bluetooth for you I guess. Especially since the car doesnt have USB audio so that was the main plan to get music.

My Galaxy S8 is specifically on BMWs site as compatible, and the previous owners Samsung was still listed under devices, so the car obviously 'likes' some androids. The iDrive in our 2015 4 series has paired with all of our android phones flawlessly over the years too so I thought an update might be the solution.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 02:11 AM   #7
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep

Adding the usb to the combox is pretty easy tbh mate.

You need the usb and the lead, then plug them into the blue socket on the combox and enable it in the VO, code the cic and combox and that should allow it.

I can update the combox (firmware and software) for you to the latest firmware and enable some of the features if you get stuck.

The galaxy should connect, how are you trying to pair the phone? (i'm not implying that you are doing it wrong), just asking.

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:33 AM   #8
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by david173 View Post
Thanks for the reply! It's really annoying to buy a car with a specific feature, but there's no comeback if it doesnt work. That's Bluetooth for you I guess. Especially since the car doesnt have USB audio so that was the main plan to get music.

My Galaxy S8 is specifically on BMWs site as compatible, and the previous owners Samsung was still listed under devices, so the car obviously 'likes' some androids. The iDrive in our 2015 4 series has paired with all of our android phones flawlessly over the years too so I thought an update might be the solution.
Post a picture of what is under the floor of your trunk. Some countries got head units with bluetooth built into them. The software update is only for the combox in the trunk. Combox pic below.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #9
david173
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfj1 View Post
Adding the usb to the combox is pretty easy tbh mate.

You need the usb and the lead, then plug them into the blue socket on the combox and enable it in the VO, code the cic and combox and that should allow it.

I can update the combox (firmware and software) for you to the latest firmware and enable some of the features if you get stuck.

The galaxy should connect, how are you trying to pair the phone? (i'm not implying that you are doing it wrong), just asking.

Not at all, it's often the simplest mistakes or oversights with these things - I would love it to be such!

I've tried pairing through both the telephone menu and the BT audio menu, 'add device' and then finding the car on my phone as I did with the other car, select 'pair'. The phone then says 'connecting' for around 15/20 seconds, whilst the iDrive display asks for the pairing code. The iDrive will then say 'Error with pairing' or something similar, 'try again'.

Tried several times with both phones, tried un-checking and re-checking the bluetooth on/off boxes on the screen, restarting the phones etc, nothing seems to work.

PS Thanks for the offer of help coding - a pity you're 450 miles away!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #10
david173
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smass View Post
Post a picture of what is under the floor of your trunk. Some countries got head units with bluetooth built into them. The software update is only for the combox in the trunk. Combox pic below.
Thanks, I will post a pic tomorrow when the torrential rain stops outside!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 02:18 AM   #11
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by david173 View Post
Not at all, it's often the simplest mistakes or oversights with these things - I would love it to be such!

I've tried pairing through both the telephone menu and the BT audio menu, 'add device' and then finding the car on my phone as I did with the other car, select 'pair'. The phone then says 'connecting' for around 15/20 seconds, whilst the iDrive display asks for the pairing code. The iDrive will then say 'Error with pairing' or something similar, 'try again'.

Tried several times with both phones, tried un-checking and re-checking the bluetooth on/off boxes on the screen, restarting the phones etc, nothing seems to work.

PS Thanks for the offer of help coding - a pity you're 450 miles away!
You are doing it sort of right.

When the pairing code is displayed you need to enter one on the car, and then the phone will ask for the code.

From memory you will see the dial come up, just put any number in, this will be the code, then go to the phone and type the same number in, that should complete the pair.

I did it a few days ago on my bench setup, but cant remember it exactly, but its something like.

1: Use either telephone menu and the BT audio menu, 'add device'
2: when the dial comes up, make up at least 4 digits and then select
3: on phone, find the car
4: use the same digits to pair and connect.

That should be it.

P.S, i meant you could send me the combox in the post and i could update and send it back.

Appreciate 0