E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Oil Consumption (06 330i)

09-10-2020, 12:09 AM   #1
HydroxFrost
@Lucky.330i
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Garage List
Oil Consumption (06 330i)

Hey everyone, just wanted to make a thread because I'm a little confused.

So I'm about 3000 km in since the last oil change and my oil level read full up until a few days ago, went down a slight bit on the level indicator and I didn't think much of it considering most bmws consume more oil than mine, and I've been driving it hard since finally replacing the new control arms and doing the transmission service but I noticed today after doing a quick 0-200 kmh pull that it went down another notch, so I'm sitting down half a quart now and I'm worried about the extreme consumption.

That being said, I'm probably overdue for a CCV job, I didn't see any external leaks. Noticed a slight bit of thin white smoke the past two days but nothing major to be out a quarter quart from one pull. Anyone have any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2020, 11:02 PM   #2
E92William
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328xi

Garage List
2008 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
I'm betting on your pcv system. My car actually burned a bit of oil until the pcv failed shut and I had to replace the valve cover. Since then and sorting some gaskets it uses almost no oil at all apart from a slight oil pan seepage. I think these cars get a lot of bad rep for oil consumption that is by no means deserved if in good working condition.
Appreciate 3
Noir883.00
dwashy64.50
      09-13-2020, 03:10 PM   #3
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

I have a 2006 325i with almost 250K miles on it, and it is consuming nearly a quart every 1000 miles. I replaced my oil separator (external for the 06 models) along with all CCV hoses. My oil separator was clogged badly so I was certain that was the source of the consumption, however nearly a year and 10,000 miles later my oil consumption is exactly the same as it was before replacing it. I have no smoke whatsoever and even on aggressive acceleration there's no oil smell so I'm assuming it's worn low tension oil control rings causing a slight but consistent oil burn.

How many miles/kms on your car? If you're overdue for a CCV overhaul then by all means do it, but just keep in mind it may still not fix the problem. Then again a quart of oil per 700 miles is considered "acceptable" by BMW. I stopped worrying and just keep topping off when needed, though after two years of Castrol and Pennzoil, I recently tried Motul, so looking forward to seeing if that makes any difference. Some people say Motul or LiquiMoly resulted in significantly decreased consumption.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:07 AM   #4
HydroxFrost
@Lucky.330i
Rep

Garage List
So to better update this thread, I found my oil loss issue. Found out my oil filter cap came loose over time and was leaking oil, I guess after holding it at high revs for long enough it leaked enough out. Since I did notice the smoke still I vented the valve cover to atmosphere for the time being until I can afford a CCV job (I'm mafless so no rough running issues). No more smoke, no more oil loss even after doing a bunch of pulls with a 235i. He was burning oil though lmao.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 03:10 AM   #5
HydroxFrost
@Lucky.330i
Rep

Garage List
I've got 185k miles on my car now, and honestly when functioning correctly it barely burns a drop on Pennzoil 5W40 Euro Platinum. Other than this and when I had another leak I've never had to top up my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrydr310 View Post
I have a 2006 325i with almost 250K miles on it, and it is consuming nearly a quart every 1000 miles. I replaced my oil separator (external for the 06 models) along with all CCV hoses. My oil separator was clogged badly so I was certain that was the source of the consumption, however nearly a year and 10,000 miles later my oil consumption is exactly the same as it was before replacing it. I have no smoke whatsoever and even on aggressive acceleration there's no oil smell so I'm assuming it's worn low tension oil control rings causing a slight but consistent oil burn.

How many miles/kms on your car? If you're overdue for a CCV overhaul then by all means do it, but just keep in mind it may still not fix the problem. Then again a quart of oil per 700 miles is considered "acceptable" by BMW. I stopped worrying and just keep topping off when needed, though after two years of Castrol and Pennzoil, I recently tried Motul, so looking forward to seeing if that makes any difference. Some people say Motul or LiquiMoly resulted in significantly decreased consumption.
Appreciate 0