E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Watchdog & Wheels - Here we go

10-24-2009, 04:39 AM   #133
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezzy View Post
This issues needs maximum publicity. Do you think it would be worth setting up groups on Facebook, Twitter, the motoring press, etc., to highlight the potential issues associated with purchasing a new or used BMW with alloy wheels/runflats. Nothing inflammatory, simply the truth that a lot of people are experiencing problems (as evidenced by this forum/Watchdog and no doubt BMW service records); the huge potential costs and safety issues involved and the fact that BMW with this combination of wheels may not be suitable for British roads with our many potholes (as alluded to by BMW). This would help others in deciding whether despite the fact that BMW's are generally brilliant cars, whether the hassle/huge additional costs associated with this problem is worth the benefits of ownership. This would not dilute this forum, simply highlight the issue to others and hopefully help bring out the true extent of the problem.

Cracking idea

Seriously i think this would be a bloody good idea
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 05:46 AM   #134
MB London
Come as you are
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 SSll

As mentioned in a previous thread my car is due in for its first service soon (it was due last Thursday but had to be rescheduled to next Friday) and I am naturally assuming that I will have 2 cracked (back) alloys (225’s).

Is there anyone out there in e90post world that has type 225 alloys and hasn’t experienced cracked wheels?

Clearly there is far too many of them cracking but surly it is still only a minority?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 06:08 AM   #135
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Don't think Hotcoupe/335rocks/sheps ever had any issues.
      10-24-2009, 06:08 AM   #136
F31-340i
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring

I have 225s that haven't (yet) cracked. They are on a touring, and my hope is that the lesser camber on the touring (?) will make the problem less of an issue than it is on coupes/cabs. I will ditch the RFTs once they are worn, which I also think will help avoid the issue.

I did notice that watchdog had a blue E90 with 230s - didi these crack on this car? This would question the validity of my camber theory/hope.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 06:13 AM   #137
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
The overwhelming impression I am getting from the posts here and on the Watchdog blog is that BMW and their dealers are blaming the state of British roads, the way we drive - in fact anything but their wheels.

The conclusion must be that you buy 19" wheels AT YOUR OWN RISK. (Mind you, M-Sport Highline models - you have no choice).

The question that should be asked of BMW and their dealers; why are you still selling these wheels? You are knowingly selling wheels that may well crack or in other words, you are selling potentially faulty goods.

Surely BMW and their dealers are breaking some sort of law or regulation? At the least, they are showing reckless lack of care in not only selling goods that may very well become defective but also, they sell them without any warnings as to their unsuitability.

Utterly disgraceful!

Do we not have a legal type on these forums who could suggest what act if any, BMW might be contravening?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 06:36 AM   #138
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedOff View Post
Back on Watchdog Next Week!

Hello all, first post here!

I have had the cracked wheel problem and emailed Watchdog after the programme yesterday.

The news is that this will be back on the show next week and I have been invited on. I'm not really surprised given the huge amount of comments from affected people on the BBC Watchdog website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/...oy_wheels.html

Please spread the word and contact the Watchdog team with your story. I went into the BMW dealership today and they have a new script. They are claiming it is now limited to cars in the London area and that it is caused by mound type speed bumps found in the city (the ones that a car with a wide enough wheel span can drive over)!

I would guess that BMW will send someone on this time around.
Thats great news, a second 'airing' has got to be positive for the peeps who have had to shell out for wheels. Just been reading through the Watchdog comments page, there are a LOT of people out there suffering this issue. Interesting story from a copper who has had a 3 series and a 5 series on the fleet for 10 months. Says both cars have got through 4 wheels each already due to huge cracks appearing. He is very concerned as these cars regularly see up to 150mph and safety is paramount. Also says that these BMW's dont see any different road conditions to any other cars on the fleet. He would be an excellent 'ambassador' for the case to appear on next weeks show.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 07:20 AM   #139
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Don't think Hotcoupe/335rocks/sheps ever had any issues.
You're right Carl, but that was probably because the 225's were rarely on the car, of the 37k miles the car did before it went, most of the miles covered were on the G-Powers running Falkens.
I did suffer wheel cracking on my previous E46, and the manufacturer of those wheels is the same company that manufactures the 225's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
Thats great news, a second 'airing' has got to be positive for the peeps who have had to shell out for wheels. Just been reading through the Watchdog comments page, there are a LOT of people out there suffering this issue. Interesting story from a copper who has had a 3 series and a 5 series on the fleet for 10 months. Says both cars have got through 4 wheels each already due to huge cracks appearing. He is very concerned as these cars regularly see up to 150mph and safety is paramount. Also says that these BMW's dont see any different road conditions to any other cars on the fleet. He would be an excellent 'ambassador' for the case to appear on next weeks show.
I wonder if that message will be highlighted in Round two, and whether he would be allowed to appear on the programme.

The latest theory put forward by BMW (speed bumps) makes no sense, is London the only place to have speed bumps than,what utter rubbish.

Why is the cracking only confined to the rear wheels?
We all know the real reason, it's a disgrace that BMW won't admit what most people already know- the wheels are unfit for purpose.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 07:33 AM   #140
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Funnily enough 4 years ago my old man had 535d, which was always suffering punctures. Any thing to do with cracking do you think?
      10-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #141
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Just watched the programme!!!!!!!!!!....really good...well done guys!!!!!....I LOVE IT WHEN THOSE STEALERS GET EXPOSED!!!!...
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 07:58 AM   #142
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
The overwhelming impression I am getting from the posts here and on the Watchdog blog is that BMW and their dealers are blaming the state of British roads, the way we drive - in fact anything but their wheels.

The conclusion must be that you buy 19" wheels AT YOUR OWN RISK. (Mind you, M-Sport Highline models - you have no choice).

The question that should be asked of BMW and their dealers; why are you still selling these wheels? You are knowingly selling wheels that may well crack or in other words, you are selling potentially faulty goods.

Surely BMW and their dealers are breaking some sort of law or regulation? At the least, they are showing reckless lack of care in not only selling goods that may very well become defective but also, they sell them without any warnings as to their unsuitability.

Utterly disgraceful!

Do we not have a legal type on these forums who could suggest what act if any, BMW might be contravening?
PLUS 1 MILLION
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 08:12 AM   #143
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
Cracking idea

Seriously i think this would be a bloody good idea
PLUS 1....
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #144
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
The words "not fit for purpose" spring to mind.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 11:37 AM   #145
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
Curious. If you google for cracked BMW wheels, the only relevant return on the first page is a link to Pistonheads. No sign of this, or the other thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 03:37 AM   #146
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Quote:

Utterly disgraceful!

Alan, it's not just the 19's my dad has 2 cracked 18' M Sport standard spec wheels in his garage from a 57 plate 335d.
      10-25-2009, 03:54 AM   #147
steve-p
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 ActiveHybrid 5

It seems to me that BMW are playing a high risk game here because the longer they insist that the combination of wheel, tyre and suspension setting is fit for purpose, the worse it's going to be in the end for them if they lose. It would be hugely embarrassing and costly if the final outcome was a safety recall and having to replace many thousands of wheels with a strengthened version. Alternatively they really don't think it's an issue - are they still fitting exactly the same wheels to current cars, or have they reinforced them in some way?

What I find most disappointing is their arrogance in not even considering there's a problem and immediately blaming the driver or the roads. Other manufacturers if they were totally confident that it wasn't a general issue have been known to replace wheels as a goodwill gesture. For example I had a cracked alloy 20 years ago on an XR4x4 which was a year out of warranty and Ford still replaced it free of charge without question.

Wheels should not crack under any circumstances if there is no other visible damage such as kerbing. I've known a couple of people who really have wrecked alloys driving through potholes, but they didn't crack - the damage was a slightly and visibly bent rim. And in both cases it was a front wheel. Consequently any suggestion that the cracks alone in rear wheels are caused by potholes just does not ring true for me.

I guess the reason it's a big deal for BMW is that this issue puts the spotlight on their entire strategy of forcing runflat tyres on all customers despite the disadvantages of cost and ride quality. I'm willing to bet that those wheels would not have cracked with normal tyres fitted. If runflats were even a no-cost option rather than mandatory, how many people here would have gone for them? I certainly wouldn't.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 07:13 AM   #148
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
I do appreciate that 18" wheels have the problem as well -Paul (pjs) had two cracked 18" wheels and it has apparently also happened to 17" rims.

18" wheels have a similar story to 19". The back wheels are wider than the front and therefore there is more wheel on the unreinforced side, they still have very low profiles (35 instead of 30) and very stiff run flat side walls.

A question that has occurred to me: If you knowingly drive a car which has a defect that could affect the safety of the vehicle, you are committing an offence. Does that mean that driving your car with wheels that are liable to crack without warning makes you liable for prosecution? How would that affect your insurance?

On the E92 m-sport Highline, the 19" wheels are standard. Does that mean that BMW are knowingly selling you a car that may place you in difficulty vis a vis criminal prosecution and with regard to insurance?

Should we be telling our insurance companies that we are driving cars with wheels that are prone to crack - under our obligation to give them all relevant information? Are we already placing ourselves in the situation where we would technically be uninsured?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #149
craig2859
Black .... all the way !!
Rep
Drives: [Previous]2006 330d M-Sport

Garage List
I'm new to the BMW Scene really as most of you know, and I watched the programme, and have been following it on here.

The thing is .... how can you tell if you have cracked wheels, without getting under the car etc, etc.

What I am saying is, if they crack on the inside of the wheel, and you are non the wiser, so continue to drive as normal, what "could" happen here, is it dangerous .... would you get any warnings etc.

This has to be the major factor here .... the fact that there are no warning signs, until its potentially too late?

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 10:48 AM   #150
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Craig, tell tale signs of cracked wheels would be a loss of pressure in your tyres, which won't always be picked up by the OBC.
Normally people attribute loss of pressure to a slow puncture initially and once they get them checked out it's discovered that the wheels are cracked.

The best you can do initially is take all the wheels off and clean the inside of the wheels and look for the cracks, if they are cracked the cracks will clearly be visible.You'd probably see the cracks without cleaning them!

Once you have satisfied yourself that the wheels are crack free, it's then just a case of ensuring you check your tyre pressures as often as possible.
I've not heard of a wheel disintegrating whilst on the move due to cracking, that's not to say it could not happen of course.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #151
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig2859 View Post
I'm new to the BMW Scene really as most of you know, and I watched the programme, and have been following it on here.

The thing is .... how can you tell if you have cracked wheels, without getting under the car etc, etc.

What I am saying is, if they crack on the inside of the wheel, and you are non the wiser, so continue to drive as normal, what "could" happen here, is it dangerous .... would you get any warnings etc.

This has to be the major factor here .... the fact that there are no warning signs, until its potentially too late?

I spent half an hour yesterday under my new motor checking the 230's for cracks, simply need to wipe the inside rim clean (no jokes please will), get a torch, and then takes about 4/5 goes to keep nudging the car forward so you can inspect the whole wheel, looking/feeling for hairline cracks. Just what you want to be doing with the Ultimate Driving Machine, a JOY indeed
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #152
martin26
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M5 (E60)

I suggest that Watchdog might be the best way of applying pressure and that anyone who has had a cracked rim in the past posts their story on their blog this week on advamce of the next installment - i just did.
i have had many BMWs including M3 with same tyre dimensions, but never had a cracked wheel. the dealers are inspecting wheels whenver the car is in the workshop now, looking for problems.....good that they are looking ...but they are only looking because they know they have a problem...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #153
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
While it is going to be too late for inclusion in this week's Watchdog presentation, please make applicable entries here: Cracked Wheel Statistics Collection, now a sticky. I'll tabulate what's posted towards the end of November, some five weeks from now.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269

Last edited by SoYank; 10-25-2009 at 03:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #154
Julianhuey
Registered
Rep
Drives: MG

Hi There,

New to the forum and sorry for no introductions, but wanted to jump in.

I have been looking into obtaining a new or nearly new 330d M sport Touring for several months. I started reading this thread a while ago and considered it a minor problem that would be addressed at somepoint.

However, I am amazed this has dragged on for so long with no movement what so ever. I am seriously considering a Volvo again now, just because I can not afford to buy a car that is not road worthy.

When I first raised this wheel issue with our local dealer, he had no knowledge of it and said it would not be a problem for me. I wonder if this is still the case on my next visit ? Assume I visit again !

The Watchdog program (watched it via iPlayer) was excellent at raising the profile of the issue but Anne Robinson let it all down with the lack of logical, constructive, questioning. Some leading questions would have lead the chap down a road with no exits and would have made the point much better. Maybe stressing the point that BMW did not attend and speculating as to why, would have been more productive and damaging for BMW. The chap kept saying companies have invested heavily into customer services, so a simple questions : If this is so, why was not one of them there to answer customers questions ?? Sadly lacking.

Secondly, I know from experience that BMW are trying to break the POLICE market, just like Volvo did several years ago. Volvo are doing it with just with the V70 and S60's, but BMW are trying with the 3, 5 and X5 series. The latter as a result that Land Rover stopped the Police spec Range Rover several months ago. They are not going to impress Police Vehicle Fleet Managers / Police Drivers with an attitude to safetly like this.

Not only will retail sales suffer, but I wonder if the police fleet sales will be boosted by the way this issue is been dealt with. I think not. Maybe BMW need to look at the wider, longer term issues here, let alone damage limitation. I good name is hard earnt and VERY EASILY LOST. Repairing it is a whole other ball game on a greasy pole.

Shame as the 330d was just the right vehicle for me. I've looked into putting non RFT's on a car if I still decide to buy one, but wonder why I should.With BMW not opting to actually work out what is going wrong then who's to say this will cure the problem. An expensive gamble onto top of an expensive purchase ! TOO RISKY for me.

Replacing the wheels AND tyres would be a joke on such an expensive vehicle and if that is the only way to get piece of mind that the car is fit for purpose......I'll be heading for the Volvo garage and a V70.

However, till then I'll be watching with interest and keeping my money in the bank. For me all I'm looking for is some scientific investigation as to what is happening. Then BMW have to decide what they are going to do about it. Then it is up to people to decide if this is acceptable to them or not and acting appropriately.

I think an e-mail to Autocar may well be called for so see what the "motoring press" think about all this.

Regards,

Julian.
Appreciate 0