E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > WTB: 19" OEM style 67 m3 rims & tires

05-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #23
DJKhan85
Major
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2011 4dr 6mt Golf GTI

Well lets go over your options and whats wrong/good about them (this is oo far off topic of the original intent of the thread but if it helps):

1) keep your stock suspension and get lowering springs(eibach/hr). Pros - it lowers the ride. Cons- it will kill your shocks faster and your ride will become bouncy.

2) Upgrade shocks and stick with stock springs. Pros - better handling and sometimes(most times) better daily driveability. Cons - car won't be lowered.

3) Upgraded shocks and lowering springs. Pros - you get combination of both pros listed above. Cons - You are out of luck if you want to adjust anything(height and dampening). Also some shock spring combinations are the same if not more expensive than some coilover options

4) Coilovers. Pros - All give you ride height adjustability. The dampening adjustment get better as you move up model(as does price). *ALL COILOVERS ARE NOT MADE EQUALLY*. I speak from experience on that one . Cons - Can be a pain in the ass to mess with all the adjustability if you have no idea what you're doing or how each thing affects your ride. Lots of options that throw around buzz words like "levels of adjustability". Can get extremely confusing(and expensive) if you get one of the top packages that have adjustable spring rates, linear versus progressive springs, dampening, ride height, camber, toe, etc.

Now I have been through ALL of these variations throughout my car ownerships. I will say without a shadow of doubt that my KW V2s is the BEST SUSPENSION I HAVE EVER OWNED.

I'd be happy to show you how my KW V2s ride and look.

There is one thing I would caution you about when checking out any of these options. We live in MA where winter and salted roads are a concern. Make sure and check what coating or metal is used to build the components of choice. The last thing you want is a rusted anything in your suspension after only 1 winter(sadly speak from experience on that one too).

Also some suspension kits claim to be "stainless" but be sure ALL components(shocks) are stainless and not just the front. I'm talking about FK Silverlines and KW V1s. As far as I can tell pictures, the rear shocks are NOT stainless. V2's(and I want to say V3 as well but have no experience with those) are stainless in the back, or they are at least shiny .

As far as personal opinion on what you should do. KW V1s (despite rear shock thing mentioned above) and HR Coilovers are both cheap enough to warrant a look. It will probably handle better than the stock suspension and give you the look you want. Someone local was/is selling some v1s, might want to check those out.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 09:00 PM   #24
BMWjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classycali View Post
http://www.houston-imports.com/forum...d.php?t=574033
Not the perfect condition and a little far.
pretty expensive for rims that are repainted to not match and basically no tires. A set of perfect condition ones with new tires in the front and 70% in the back is 1000...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #25
BMWjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKhan85 View Post
Well lets go over your options...
Wow thank you very much! That is extremely helpful. Seems like the best choice is definitely coilovers. Do you have any problems in the winter with the car lowered, especially in the snow? Or do you adjust the height for the winter months? I probably should have started a new thread of all this suspension talk so other guys could benefit from it too!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #26
DJKhan85
Major
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2011 4dr 6mt Golf GTI

I have not driven this suspension in the winter yet. I am already at the max recommended height and have no desire to lower any further. I have a 1.5 finger gap in the front and 2 in the rear. I was perfectly fine with the stock i ride height and was looking for some more performance(in retrospect I could have saved bundles of cash by just getting some bilstein HDs and using stock springs, but you live and you learn).

I did a mock up with my winter wheels to check for snow clearance. I've found that it gives only slightly less clearance in the front while being the same in back. It might be better in the winter since the suspension won't have as much give as the stock suspension. Overall, I am not concerned. I'm more concerned with the 1 wheel spin-a-thon thanks to the open diff.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #27
yiboi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw E90 335xi

do u go fast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWjames View Post
He sold both sets to one guy

Is there a cheaper way of doing a drop with out ruining the car? I know new springs is an option but everyone seems to say its a bad idea..
i just got a set of bilstein sport shock and h&r sport spring for my 335xi, i did an alignment after install, before 80mph is improve, but over will out of control easy,thinking to put stock back?

regard
yiboi
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2010, 11:11 PM   #28
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Kw v2 might not be compatible with xi models

Someone on the forum did a dinan stage 2 suspension for his 335xi...I think dinan uses Custome Koni parts....if they have something for the 325, this might be the setup I want

DJKhan85

base on this pic of the H&R coils...you think these are stainless?
Attached Images

Last edited by ska///235i; 05-04-2010 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #29
BMWjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yiboi View Post
i just got a set of bilstein sport shock and h&r sport spring for my 335xi, i did an alignment after install, before 80mph is improve, but over will out of control easy,thinking to put stock back?

regard
yiboi
I wouldn't want to have to worry about not having control.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #30
BMWjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm getting desperate for new rims! I'm also starting to look for 189s now it'd be much easier to find and hopefully cheaper.
Appreciate 0