E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > My Alpina trans flash scared the crap out of me just a bit today...

12-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #23
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats
1st at 60MPH is not physically possible with 6AT gearing.

You cannot exceed the rev limited on an auto unless it lets go outright. At your power levels, there is 0% chance of that happening.

My trans has always had some odd quirks to it, regardless of OE or Alpina TCU file. Every now and then it'll slip the upshift a bit under very light load and low revs, it's not clear why. And a handful of times when I take a 90 degree right hand turn, it won't shift into the next gear until like 3K revs, even if i'm in "drive" mode.

I'm not too worried about it.
Exactly- hence my theory of the displaying of the shifts being glitchy.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #24
NoImDirtyDan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jec1 View Post
Aside from D mode being almost unusable in certain situations, I like the flash overall. I have had certain situations in low rpm-medium to high load scenarios where it feels like there is slip, but then again the stock TCU likely was worse and I just don't remember it.

The one situation I have that concerns me is as follows. Cobb Stage 1+ flash on sport mode, so approximately 14psi peak boost with 93 octane. I always drive in DTC mode, single press.

Accelerating onto the highway WOT in manual mode, the transmission has occasionally short shifted itself on the 3-4 upshift. Meaning I merge from the onramp WOT in 2nd, shift at 6-6500rpm, and then the transmission will automatically shift into 4th at 4-4500rpm despite the transmission being in M mode. This automatic shift is also harsh and the car jerks hard. Has anyone else had this happen?
I have something similar. DTC mode as well, single press. Take off from a light. Shift at 5k to 2nd Gear sometimes car automatically jumps to 3rd around 3.5-4k RPMs. Not sure why it would shift but I always assumed traction control forced an upshift to maintain control. Im FBO JB4 running map 5 91 octane
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 12:19 AM   #25
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

I've had my car hold revs well past 5k for no particular reason I could fathom in sport mode. It also does some clunky, jerky shifts from 2-3 during stop and go traffic -not all the time, but enough to warrant a wtf from me.
      12-04-2014, 12:33 AM   #26
tkong
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2011 space gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroSix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jec1 View Post
Aside from D mode being almost unusable in certain situations, I like the flash overall. I have had certain situations in low rpm-medium to high load scenarios where it feels like there is slip, but then again the stock TCU likely was worse and I just don't remember it.

The one situation I have that concerns me is as follows. Cobb Stage 1+ flash on sport mode, so approximately 14psi peak boost with 93 octane. I always drive in DTC mode, single press.

Accelerating onto the highway WOT in manual mode, the transmission has occasionally short shifted itself on the 3-4 upshift. Meaning I merge from the onramp WOT in 2nd, shift at 6-6500rpm, and then the transmission will automatically shift into 4th at 4-4500rpm despite the transmission being in M mode. This automatic shift is also harsh and the car jerks hard. Has anyone else had this happen?
I have something similar. DTC mode as well, single press. Take off from a light. Shift at 5k to 2nd Gear sometimes car automatically jumps to 3rd around 3.5-4k RPMs. Not sure why it would shift but I always assumed traction control forced an upshift to maintain control. Im FBO JB4 running map 5 91 octane
I've had this happen to me with all traction on and I don't have the alpina flash
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 12:54 AM   #27
AYEDEE
Captain
Australia-Aboriginal
Rep
Drives: 3 Series BMW

Ive had this happen before but that was cause when i was coming yo a stop i pressed downshift. Hence leaving me.in full manual mode. Purely my fault. Sure you didnt do the same?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 04:49 AM   #28
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

No M mode was engaged at these times. Left it in D, only slapping it between S and D when these seemingly odd shifts displayed- and in each case, the display would step down to the gear below (at the very least the display.)

I guess shifting is happening as normal, according to my ear at least.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #29
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So weird. Let us know if you ever figure it out.
      12-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #30
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Update: the transmission definitely seems to behave better when I'm not doing a kick-down- you cats were right.

I imagine a kick-down disabler would be a nice investment, but I don't want to compromise any of the warranty style advantages I currently have- who here has ordered one and can you send me a link?

Also isn't the point of a kick-down switch to really gun it when you need to, or is it just a bunch of bullshit?

Messing with the accelerator is just a little bit concerning to me, but if it's safe and there's no other real advantage to leaving it set as it as stock, then why the hell not...

JB you have a p.m.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 04:33 PM   #31
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

You won't mess up the warranty. All you really need is that little screw plate thing that precisely stops the accelerator from pushing into kick down mode. It goes under the pedal.
      12-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #32
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Yep- checked BMS and now I see...so essentially it just makes for a smoother driving experience right?

Never understood why the hell they made that kick-down button, it doesn't seem to be too good for the car in general LOL

Now to figure out which of the four types I need for my 2011 335 convertible N55
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 04:50 PM   #33
MiamiM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 AT M-Sport

Garage List
I just ordered the BMS downshift blocker. The car always downshifts to the 6000+ rpm range where it is already out of breath anyways.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #34
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Figured it out. For my car, it was type B. Hell for a Hamilton, what have I got to lose? Hopefully it can also be removed without breaking
Attached Images

Last edited by Dark_Knight_335; 12-06-2014 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 06:33 PM   #35
MiamiM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I just ordered the same one.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:12 PM   #36
matreyia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
No I'm not JB, thanks for asking. I guess the real question is, is my physical TCU being affected, or is the shift display portion of the program simply being glitchy?

I don't think anyone really knows for sure, and I don't want to be the first one to find out the hard way. Believe me, there are times when I love it, but once the winter hits it just seems to act up more (surely this is an illusion on my part).

To complicate matters, I also have Dinan stage III, so not sure how the tune was programmed to handle the TCU, or how closely the relationship coincides, but I'm sure it was programmed with the stock shifting TCU in mind. Does anyone here run the flash with a Dinan stage III, or any other tune for that matter?

There have been times (like the D6 at 30 mph) deal) where slapping it into S and back into D knocks it back down to D3, where it typically is. Things like this are the most disturbing I think.

This, coupled with the fact I am most likely going to sell the car come spring or so, make me think it might be best to just keep the car stock- at least with the TCU.
I just drove a 335i coupe n55 with a JB4 and the B3 flash...and it was BADASS.

So I don't think the tune is messing up your shifting. I have the Dinan S2 and plan to get this flash ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:21 PM   #37
matreyia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkong View Post
I've had this happen to me with all traction on and I don't have the alpina flash
Yeah, me too. I think the problem might be that the traction and stability controls are on. I call this mode the "cock block" mode. You simply cannot rely on expected shifts in this mode. That is why I turn of all safety measures when I want to go WOT or drive super spirited.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 01:27 AM   #38
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by matreyia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkong View Post
Yeah, me too. I think the problem might be that the traction and stability controls are on. I call this mode the "cock block" mode. You simply cannot rely on expected shifts in this mode. That is why I turn of all safety measures when I want to go WOT or drive super spirited.
Ha ha perfect description man!!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 05:47 PM   #39
OneMoreAlex
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335i

Bumping this up, this happened to me and it scared the ever loving shit out of me today. I was in Manual mode M1 with alpina flash. Went WOT and it wouldn't shift to 2nd, I panicked and tried the stick, paddles, nada it was just completely stuck. I thought my transmission was going to drop on the ground.

I literally never hit the kickdown, but I guess that would explain what happened to me. Was the overall consensus to buy the BMS blocker to fix this problem? If so I think that's next on my list for sure. I definitely don't want that shit happening again.
      11-18-2016, 06:36 PM   #40
MiamiM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Figured it out. For my car, it was type B. Hell for a Hamilton, what have I got to lose? Hopefully it can also be removed without breaking
I have had this installed for about year and it eliminates all the crazy kickdown bs. It just snaps on. Best money an AT guy can spend.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 06:41 PM   #41
rich_mane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAlex View Post
Bumping this up, this happened to me and it scared the ever loving shit out of me today. I was in Manual mode M1 with alpina flash. Went WOT and it wouldn't shift to 2nd, I panicked and tried the stick, paddles, nada it was just completely stuck. I thought my transmission was going to drop on the ground.

I literally never hit the kickdown, but I guess that would explain what happened to me. Was the overall consensus to buy the BMS blocker to fix this problem? If so I think that's next on my list for sure. I definitely don't want that shit happening again.
Was your car warmed up? My alpina flashed trans acts a little funky from time to time, usually right at startup. It actually happened to me today as well, when I first started it up after work, I left it in D mode and took off and it held 1st gear until about 4,000RPM. I was accelerating slowly and it just wouldn't shift, so I came to a stop and then drove again, and it shifted normally after that. It's maybe happened to me like 3 times in the ~9 months that I've had the flash.

There are also times that when the car shifts in D mode, it will slip 2nd, 3rd, and 4th upshifts. It will shift at about 2,200rpm and slip each gear right back to 2,200 after it shifts, with it usually catching in 5th at about 1,500. If I press the accelerator a little more it revs out longer and upshifts without slipping.

I've had the transmission and torque converter replaced under CPO warranty, but the new (remanufactured) one from the dealership performs exactly the same. So I don't think it's a sign of anything worn or deteriorating, especially since it shifts perfectly fine when under load. More an incompatibility with the flash and our cars I guess.

It definitely feels like it has something to do with the pedal position in relation to the transmission, there's usually a sweet spot I can find that makes it drive perfectly normal in D mode. M mode is always fun though and has been reliable but with a random slip at low rpm shifts into 3rd every now and again.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 10:06 PM   #42
Cory S
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i-X

OOOOH a DIGGED up thread!

I have the Alpina flash too. So far it's been pretty decent. BTW... A kickdown blocker is a MUST with these cars IMO...

@ WOT, shifting at 6400-6500rpm, sometime my 6AT skips a gear right after I pull the upshift paddle in manual mode. Say full WOT in 1st..shift to 2nd, and right after the RPM's drop, it jumps to 3. Same thing with shifting 2nd to third sometimes. It hits 3rd right after the shift only for .25 of a second, and then goes to 4th on its own.

Also, about 2 months ago, while pulling onto the main road in 1st gear, I went WOT.. was getting ready to pull the upshift paddle @ 6500, and "BANG" "BONG" "Transmission Malfunction" on the Idrive screen. It literally felt like a Tractor trailer truck rear ended me at 60mph... Followed by a SES light also... I let off the throttle so fast and coasted to the side and shut the car off. Waited about 60 seconds. Started the car, and no malfunction indicator. SES light still on however. Pulled the gear selector into D in hopes I could get back home, and it worked fine. SES light code was "Engine overspeed" !!!!! I'm not sure what RPM the engine could have reached, but it had to have been in the 8000rpm range I would imagine.. I don't know to this day if the transmission slipped out of a gear, or massively just slipped the clutch pack in general. Cleared the "Engine Overspeed"code the next day.

It has not happened again. I seriously thought the 6AT shattered...

I've thought about trying the stock TCU software again for a bit.
      11-19-2016, 05:36 PM   #43
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory S View Post
OOOOH a DIGGED up thread!

I have the Alpina flash too. So far it's been pretty decent. BTW... A kickdown blocker is a MUST with these cars IMO...

@ WOT, shifting at 6400-6500rpm, sometime my 6AT skips a gear right after I pull the upshift paddle in manual mode. Say full WOT in 1st..shift to 2nd, and right after the RPM's drop, it jumps to 3. Same thing with shifting 2nd to third sometimes. It hits 3rd right after the shift only for .25 of a second, and then goes to 4th on its own.

Also, about 2 months ago, while pulling onto the main road in 1st gear, I went WOT.. was getting ready to pull the upshift paddle @ 6500, and "BANG" "BONG" "Transmission Malfunction" on the Idrive screen. It literally felt like a Tractor trailer truck rear ended me at 60mph... Followed by a SES light also... I let off the throttle so fast and coasted to the side and shut the car off. Waited about 60 seconds. Started the car, and no malfunction indicator. SES light still on however. Pulled the gear selector into D in hopes I could get back home, and it worked fine. SES light code was "Engine overspeed" !!!!! I'm not sure what RPM the engine could have reached, but it had to have been in the 8000rpm range I would imagine.. I don't know to this day if the transmission slipped out of a gear, or massively just slipped the clutch pack in general. Cleared the "Engine Overspeed"code the next day.

It has not happened again. I seriously thought the 6AT shattered...

I've thought about trying the stock TCU software again for a bit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 02:24 PM   #44
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

I see several issues in this thread...
1. Some of you seem to have some Alpina induced funkiness causing some errant shifting of the tranny. I can't comment on this.

2. Some of you are getting "double shifts" when shifting up manually. This comes from upshifting manually when the TCU has already commanded an automatic upshift. This usually happens at redline in manual mode near redline, or in automatic mode when manually shifting. You rev, shift up one gear, but get two upshifts because the computer commanded an upshift already. You end up two gears higher but this is just you and the TCU sometimes bumping heads. This is normal, even if slightly unrefined and unpredfictable.

3. The ZF6 doesx have adaptive programming. One of the circumstances that modifies the shift scheduling is acceleration while turning. If you accelerate, while having a bit of steering angle locked in, the TCU will suppress upshifts (and sometimes downshifts) depending on how much throttle and steering input you are currently using. The shift points are delayed when accelerating around corners. This is often seen on on ramps. You end up thinking why hasn't the car upshifted. Straightening the steering wheel and (to a lesser degree) easing off the throttle will let the automatic upshift happen. This to is normal. The logic is that shifts in corners can upset the balance of the chassis before corner exit. This logic also provides for increased response after the corner, because the car has stayed in a lower gear and can quickly accelerate out without downshifting. This is present in the stock tranny calibrations and as amplified even further in the Alpina software.
Appreciate 0