Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Will big chain tire shops work with you to get low road force numbers?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-06-2019, 11:02 AM   #1
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

Will big chain tire shops work with you to get low road force numbers?

Many of the big chain tire shops have road force balance machines but from my understanding many of them consider anything lower than 20 acceptable. From my understanding I need single digit numbers on all my tires to get a smooth ride. I have vibrations starting at 65 that become terrible around 100mph. I just want to get single digit numbers to rule out anything with the tires. I just fear if I take it to a big chain tire place and pay to road force it they will just say, oh its 19 you are good to go.

Second question should I even bother having tires with 15k road force. Should I just wait for the next big sale and buy some new tires.

Third question I have Yokohama ADVAN SPORT A/S tires but was thinking about switching to Continental DWS tires to be more quiet but looking at tire rack rating the Yokohamas are rated higher in comfort and noise. But on the forums everyone seems to say the DWS's are the best with not much talk about the Yokohamas which are quiet cheap when on sale. I think last time I paid 415.00 installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 11:50 AM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

No one can answer that question...as mentioned in the thread you're referencing, it depends on the shop and/or the tech doing the work. Go to the link I originally provided and find a dedicated wheel shop...or even better, a wheel repair shop w/ a road force balancer. They'll likely be more accommodating.

Should be less than ~$60 to get balanced...how much more life are left in the tires?

Don't get DWS...if u want A/S, look at the latest Pilot Sports.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
No one can answer that question...as mentioned in the thread you're referencing, it depends on the shop and/or the tech doing the work. Go to the link I originally provided and find a dedicated wheel shop...or even better, a wheel repair shop w/ a road force balancer. They'll likely be more accommodating.

Should be less than ~$60 to get balanced...how much more life are left in the tires?

Don't get DWS...if u want A/S, look at the latest Pilot Sports.
I don't want all season but I always end up getting them because they are cheaper. It doesn't ice over here so summers are fine but I never see deals on them. I had Pilot sports A/S before and I had a problem with them only getting about 22k miles on them.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #4
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohny33 View Post
I had Pilot sports A/S before and I had a problem with them only getting about 22k miles on them.
Why?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 05:51 PM   #5
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Why?
My tires are staggered so they get around half the mileage rating the rear. The michelins seem to wear the fastest out of some of the other more reasonable tires.

On another note. I called around for road force and people wanted between 80-120 dollars to do it. Its cheaper to wait until you need new tires because all the places charged a mounting fee if you got road force over standard balance. All the indy wheel and speed shops were 100 dollars + for a road force. Insane if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 07:07 AM   #6
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
My tires are staggered so they get around half the mileage rating the rear. The michelins seem to wear the fastest out of some of the other more reasonable tires.

On another note. I called around for road force and people wanted between 80-120 dollars to do it. Its cheaper to wait until you need new tires because all the places charged a mounting fee if you got road force over standard balance. All the indy wheel and speed shops were 100 dollars + for a road force. Insane if you ask me.
When you have your tires balanced, ask them to just measure the road force. At that point you can decide whether or not to have a road force balance performed on a per wheel basis (and the ensuing cost). My local Discount Tire does this evaluation without an additional fee (as it take only a few seconds to do on the balancer).
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 01:30 AM   #7
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
When you have your tires balanced, ask them to just measure the road force. At that point you can decide whether or not to have a road force balance performed on a per wheel basis (and the ensuing cost). My local Discount Tire does this evaluation without an additional fee (as it take only a few seconds to do on the balancer).
So I had this done but they didn't give me my numbers or anything. They said I was missing a wheel weight. But the problem has been going on for years through multiple balances so I can't believe that fixed the entire problem. I wont really know if the problem has been 100% fixed for a while you really only notice at high speeds and I rarely can hit those speeds on a consistent basis.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #8
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
So I had this done but they didn't give me my numbers or anything.
Did you bother even asking for them? I mean, that was the whole point in going through this exercise to begin with. Without those results, it's a giant waste of time and money.

What size wheels/tires you working with?

If you're only having issues at high speeds though, it's time to start looking at bushings and the like.
Appreciate 1
LMB335IS1299.00