E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Oil filter housing gasket

02-22-2019, 09:21 AM   #23
alddiem415
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgli View Post
to answer the original question - i believe elring is the OE manufacturer of the gaskets. also, there is a coolant hose you have to remove from the block to get to one of the bolts, I would assume it will crumble and need replaced. you can do the whole hose for $$$ or just get the billet aluminum cap from FCP. I would get it proactively so your car isn't down for 3 days while it ships - learn from my pain!
any part number or link on the hoses and aliminum cap?
Im trying to search as well..

Thank for your help

I think changing the gaskets isn’t too bad but priming the oil system made me think twice.. hahaha..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #24
rodasimmons
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i m-sport coupe

That hose went to pieces on me too - and I was down for a couple of days waiting on the part too. That was on my last e92. When I have to do this on my new one, I'll definitely make sure I have an e10 wrench. Thanks for that tip.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #25
philgli
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by alddiem415 View Post

Thank for your help

I think changing the gaskets isn’t too bad but priming the oil system made me think twice.. hahaha..
here is what i got...

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-aluminum-coolant-hose-flange-rein-chc0609

Totally worth $20. The OEM hose was like $100 or something and is plastic.
      03-15-2019, 09:33 AM   #26
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Question

Sorry I did a lot of online resarch on the N55 oil filter housing gasket DIY and as my first time reading this thread I must say I've not heard of any of these"priming" requirements that you guys are joking about....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Yes after the installation of your new gasket, you should prime the system and you should also monitor the oil pressure just to be sure nothing went wrong! Other than that everything is simple!
Why would oil pressure be affected from the housing being opened to replace the gasket?

I thought opening the oil filter cap allowed most of the fluids to drain out the housing BEFORE opening the filter housing.

"monitor the oil pressure"? I'm sorry how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Ok so you would do Step A prior to starting your OFHG change. This way you starved the fuel in the car system and there will be no fuel mixture to be ignited when it comes to cranking the car.

And B seems pretty damn simple.

I guess my method would of worked (and yeah without touching the fuel rails), but is just more complicated and long!

Thanks!
Why the heck are we priming the FUEL SYSTEM for an OFHG change?

Only time I primed my fuel system was when I replaced my fuel filter on my E36 318i.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832

Last edited by delmarco; 03-15-2019 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #27
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Sorry I did a lot of online resarch on the N55 oil filter housing gasket DIY and as my first time reading this thread I must say I've not heard of any of these"priming" requirements that you guys are joking about....

Why would oil pressure be affected from the housing being opened to replace the gasket?

I thought opening the oil filter cap allowed most of the fluids to drain out the housing BEFORE opening the filter housing.
There have been cumulative posts over time of cars seizing shortly after doing an OFHG job. No one knows why. There is a generic SIB from bmw to techs stating that the oil system should be primed any time it is opened up... The SIB also applies to the fuel system. That is what people are referencing.

You're right that an OFHG is really no different than changing an oil filter and it doesn't make much sense. It's not like an OFHG is actually draining the oil galley from the housing to the oil pump, or, bleeding the oil pump dry, but, who knows why else these cars might have seized after having the OFHG serviced... One theory is aerated oil.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 09:46 AM   #28
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
There have been cumulative posts over time of cars seizing shortly after doing an OFHG job. No one knows why but there is a generic SIB from bmw to techs stating that the oil system should be primed any time it is opened up...

You're right that an OFHG is really no different than changing an oil filter and it doesn't make much sense. It's like an OFHG is actually draining the oil galley from teh housing to the oil pump, or, bleeding the oil pump dry,, but, who knows why else these cars might have seized after having the OFHG serviced...
I've NEVER heard of this "engine seizing after OFHG replacement".

So forgive my ignorance but I must ask if this is specific only to the N55 in the E9x cars! I've seen the DIY done on numerous
N55 F30s and other N55 BMWs without any priming done or engine seizing after issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alddiem415 View Post

Thank for your help

Priming the Oil System or priming the Fuel System? Or Both!? Which is it? This thread has SO MUCH CONTRADICTORY INFORMATION IN IT!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
You don't have to remove that hose if you have a E10 box wrench. Or if your bolt is not super tight on you can give it a go with a 8MM box wrench but don't continue hard or it might strip.
Yes!

This is what I will will do when I do this DIY.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 10:35 AM   #29
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I've NEVER heard of this "engine seizing after OFHG replacement".

So forgive my ignorance but I must ask if this is specific only to the N55 in the E9x cars! I've seen the DIY done on numerous
N55 F30s and other N55 BMWs without any priming done or engine seizing after issues.
I had never heard of it either but apparently it has happened on N54 and N55. Any car with an OFHG.

N54: https://www.reddit.com/r/E90/comment...ay_on_the_way/
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1554479
https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1537202
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/ar.../t-953140.html
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1582839

Seems more common on N55s but in reality I just think a lot of N54 owners aren't posting up failures, going to dealers, or actively participating on forums as much as those cars age. They are still posting up failures in Facebook groups on the regular though... Used N54 is so cheap that they just swap in new engines rather then obsess over what went wrong like someone might do with a 2013+ N55 they still owe 20k on.

Quote:
Priming the Oil System or priming the Fuel System? Or Both!? Which is it? This thread has SO MUCH CONTRADICTORY INFORMATION IN IT!!!!!!!!!
What contradicting information are you referring to? None in this thread. You open the oiling system doing an OFHG so you prime the oil system "just in case."

Priming the oil system involves cranking an engine WITHOUT starting it. How do you do that? Multiple methods were posted, but basically you disable fuel injection. No one said to "prime the fuel system" so not sure what you're referring to...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 01:19 PM   #30
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

uh yeah....um I didn't see these threads before. This is serious. I just spent the last four hours reading threads at various forums for 1 series/X5s/X3s/E9x cars regarding engine seizure after maintenance work was done to engine primarily the OFHG service.

This is definitely tied to vehicles with the same N55 engines that are in 2011 E9x cars!

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...1554479&page=7

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1565205

I apologize for my ignorance but I'm still dumbfounded how I've been doing research on my OFHG for the last two years off and on and last three months intensely and never once heard of this connection between OFHG and total Engine Destruction!

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 01:23 PM   #31
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
uh yeah....um I didn't see these threads before. This is serious. I just spent the last four hours reading threads at various forums for 1 series/X5s/X3s/E9x cars regarding engine seizure after maintenance work was done to engine primarily the OFHG service.
This is definitely tied to vehicles with the same N55 engines that are in 2011 E9x cars!

LOL you mean you didnt see all the threads where me and bbnks argued to death ?? its def a pandora's box issue if we can call it that.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #32
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Seems to me it can happen to any car with an OFHG.

Keep in mind there is probably 1 failure in every 10,000 OFHG changed lol There are techs that have replaced hundreds of these gaskets and they've never heard of this issue. It's an odd one for sure...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #33
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:

I apologize for my ignorance but I'm still dumbfounded how I've been doing research on my OFHG for the last two years off and on and last three months intensely and never once heard of this connection between OFHG and total Engine Destruction!
Haha ahhh see. As Pladi says maybe there is an issue maybe there is not but you do notice the ammount of threads across all N55 models eh... lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 01:28 PM   #34
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Priming the oil system involves cranking an engine WITHOUT starting it. How do you do that? Multiple methods were posted, but basically you disable fuel injection. No one said to "prime the fuel system" so not sure what you're referring to...
Maybe I read something wrong but there is a lot of mention of priming the fuel system and even a video in this thread for fuel priming.

That said I'm still reeling in utter shock on this topic. Can't believe I did so much research on E90 OFHG work and missed this crucial issue.

This probably explains why there is ZERO online DIY tutorials for the 2011 E9x N55 but hundreds of online DIYs and videos for the 2010 N54 and 2012 F30 N55

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #35
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Maybe I read something wrong but there is a lot of mention of priming the fuel system and even a video in this thread for fuel priming.

That said I'm still reeling in utter shock on this topic. Can't believe I did so much research on E90 OFHG work and missed this crucial issue.

This probably explains why there is ZERO online DIY tutorials for the 2011 E9x N55 but hundreds of online DIYs and videos for the 2010 N54 and 2012 F30 N55
I am completely lost on what you're trying to say here. There is no information posted here about "priming the fuel system." People posted methods for DISBALING fuel injection (pull the fuse and run the injectors dry, disconnect the injectors to prevent them from firing, or disconnect the ignition harness from the DME). You Disable fuel injection so that you can crank the engine without flooding the cylinders. You crank the engine to build oil pressure (prime it).

There are no DIY's because it is an easy job and N54 tutorials exist. There is no difference between the two cars in regard to the ofhg job except the intake manifold on the N55 makes the job slightly easier I believe. You don't need to remove it you can just loosen it.
Appreciate 1
Pladi718.00
      03-15-2019, 01:34 PM   #36
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Haha ahhh see. you do notice the ammount of threads across all N55 models eh... lol.
YES! There is DEFINITELY a thing with the E9x N55 (which was used in the X3 and X5 models as well).

There is no kidding the X5 N55 forums tho.... I feel bad for those people.

E90 folks tend to be the drivers who understand our cars and tend to DIY stuff and tend to be younger and/or eager to learn and above all sacrifice because we love our cars.

Imagine a soccer mom in her X5 trying to figure out why her engine imploded after a recent mechanic visit to replace a leaking rubber oil seal.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 01:42 PM   #37
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There are no DIY's because it is an easy job and N54 tutorials exist. There is no difference between the two cars in regard to the ofhg job except the intake manifold on the N55 makes the job slightly easier I believe. You don't need to remove it you can just loosen it.
In addition to the Intake removal on my car there is an extra metal rail in front of the lower front bolt that needs to be dealt with.

That said with 90% of the work involved regards what you remove to get to the bolts I felt the N54 E9x and N55 F30 DIY were useless to me. I've done the OFHG on my E46 (2001 330i) so I know what to expect once I get the housing open. It is just the getting in there scared me. Now I've managed to find something that scares me more....engine seizure.

Another reason I've been putting off DIY my gasket is I want to produce a DIY video on the 2011 - 2013 N55 E90/E92/E93 cars specifically. So naturally I wanted to learn as much as I can which after months of planning, procrastinating, buying my E10 tools, and reading every scrap of intel I could find I'm surprised that I'm only learning about these N55/OFHG engine seizures now.

In fact I found this thread ONLY because I was searching for a parts number for a ashtray plug.

When I saw OFHG I decided to read what it was about. My world is forever changed now.

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 01:50 PM   #38
bbnks2
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
In addition to the Intake removal on my car there is an extra metal rail in front of the lower front bolt that needs to be dealt with.

I feel with 90% of the work involved regards what you remove to get to the bolts the N54 E9x and N55 F30 DIY were useless to me.

Another reason I've been putting off DIY my gasket is I want to produce a DIY video on the 2011 - 2013 N55 E90/E92/E93 cars specifically and wanted to learn as much as I can which after months of planning, buying my E10 tools and what not, and reading every scrap of intel I could find I'm surprised I'm only learning about these N55/OFHG engine seizures now.

In fact I found this thread ONLY because I was searching for a parts number for a ashtray plug. When I saw OFHG I decided to read what it was about.
Never heard of any metal rail. I've change the OFHG on my N55 3 times. Maybe that is an xi thing, specifically?

It's not easy to come across this intel because it's literally 20 people out of millions of cars (that we know of).

Would love to see someone with some authority pressure an investigation into engine failures. People can submit a claim to NHTSA, state attorney general, or consumer protection office like the BBB. Start sending BMW certified letters showing the damage and requesting reimbursement. Not likely these failures amount to any significant defect though that they will ever address...
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #39
kievlanine@gmail.com
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

New to forum and DIYs looking for tool advice

Looking to start a job on replacing some gaskets like valve and oil filter housing and doing a intake clean while I am at it.
What is a good full set I need to do a proper job and have the right tools for the job.

E90 N55
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 03:54 PM   #40
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kievlanine@gmail.com View Post
Looking to start a job on replacing some gaskets like valve and oil filter housing and doing a intake clean while I am at it.
What is a good full set I need to do a proper job and have the right tools for the job.

E90 N55
full set of what ? tools ?

basic tools wrenches and torx etorx set
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 04:08 PM   #41
Kevin39
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 N55

I don't think I would trust a guy to work on my car if he had to ask that question.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 05:24 PM   #42
kievlanine@gmail.com
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Its my own car, and yeah definitely tools, i am looking for advice on terms what sizes and anything specific.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 06:42 PM   #43
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kievlanine@gmail.com View Post
Its my own car, and yeah definitely tools, i am looking for advice on terms what sizes and anything specific.
Metric 6 point socket set
Metric 6-point deep socket set
Metric wrench set
Torx socket set
E-Torx socket set
Metric hex bit set
Metric long hex bit set
Universal joint socket
Wobble socket
Socket extensions
Breaker bars of various sizes
5-80ft-lbs torque wrench
50-250ft-lbs torque wrench
Pry bars
Non-marring pry tools
Plastic gasket scraper
Like a bunch of 8 and 10mm sockets cause you're going to lose them constantly

Get all this stuff in 3/8" and 1/2" sizes and you can do most things on the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 07:10 PM   #44
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Did OFHG without torque wrench. Though I would not recommend that.

delmarco As for the metal railing that you mentionned, it really doesn't ring a bell and I am an xDrive owner. All I had to do was remove air filter and the box with it as well as the scoops right over the grills. I then removed coolant line before even touching OFHG so it minimizes spills and contamination chances. Then I loosened the intake manifold bolt and started working on the OFGH 3 torx bolts.

Finally, bbnks2 I've read a bit on the N55 oil pan and system. I am pretty sure there is a design flaw where the pump can't feed in a consistant way when the system is exposed to ambiant pressure and air might introduce itself (OFHG replacement). But then there are also a lot of inconsistencies that would not really support this. I still have to check the N54 oil system.

I just think that a simple baffle in the pan could of helped a lot but then again I have no clue if this even makes sense.