E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Easy, effective, BMW tools install on Windows 10 64bit

07-06-2020, 04:00 PM   #133
A321
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 Executive Coupe' N51

July 6th, 2020

If someone is willing to dumb this down for me(don't make me dredge through the previous 6 pages).

Start from scratch, Laptop Windows 10 64bit
which inexpensive cable and which of the myriad of programs is easiest to install and used, to see whats going on inside my 2011 E92
and maybe program a few things

Thx,....

(ok, I just went through all pages,
Bimmergeeks cable, and use the programs
on their site. Is that everything i need ??????)

Last edited by A321; 07-06-2020 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 09:18 AM   #134
BeatMW_E90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Bimmergeeks cable (standard dcan cable is about $45)
Bmw Standard Tools (free download) from either bimmergeeks or bimmerlabs. Update teh SP Datens by downloading them through Bimmergeeks or other sites out there the names escape me at the moment.
You may need assistance from an experienced member getting software to install correctly though. Bimmerlabs has some tuning options and assistance. INPA will be your most useful piece of software in that suite for diagnostics.
Appreciate 1
A32111.00
      07-20-2020, 01:26 PM   #135
wes.myers
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSweet1991 View Post
Have you changed your cables latency to 1?

You do this in Device manager > Ports (COM & LPT) > right click your cable > properties > advanced > and there's a latency setting.
Are you talking about the Device Manager on the computer? or on INPA?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 01:30 PM   #136
wes.myers
Private
Rep

I don't see ports in my device manager
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2020, 02:32 PM   #137
wes.myers
Private
Rep

Nevermind, it didn't recognize the device driver so I had to manually find it in my BMW folder. Also, the driver signature option needs to be turned off as well (Windows 8 users). The COM port was on 3 when apparently it needed to be COM port 2. I thought I had selected COM port 1 when installing, but it is working.

After doing all of the above, my cable was recognized by INPA. For reference, I am using Windows 8 64-bit OS. Thought I'd post for anyone else whose cable isn't responding.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 05:11 AM   #138
martynz
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i (E93), X3 3.0si (E83)

Hi,
I have E89 SPDATEN and E83 SPDATEN as I have an E90 and E83.

Which one do I update last with BMW Coding tool as some files are overlapping. Does it matter?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2020, 01:44 AM   #139
CrazyOneToo
1999 E46, 2002 E53, 2007 E85....all in progress
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0Si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerlove335 View Post
Hi all,

Here is a relatively simple way to get BMW tools installed on your machine regardless of what windows operating system you're running; it also works on 32 or 64 bit versions. I will tell you up front that this is not my method, but rather BimmerGeek's. Essentially all I've done here is learned his method and compiled some instructions on it. In case you were wondering, I did make this DIY with his permission. Also, this method seems to be very effective and simple, "Mike's Easy BMW Tools" didn't work for me at all, and some of the other methods seem quite involved just to simply install some software.

Included in this software package is INPA, BMW Coding Tool, Dr Gini, NCS Dummy, NCS Expert, Tool32 (EDIABAS), and WINKFP.

Continue at your own risk. I am not responsible in any way for any damage that occurs to your car as a result of this information and software.

At this point your software should be functional. BimmerGeeks did some nice things on mine where he changed some icons and names to make it look better. He also put all the shortcuts in one folder on the desktop called BMW and added the BMW icon to it. I can put directions up on how to change icons if you need to know.

Let me know if you have any questions or if there are any steps that are incorrect or unclear. If there's anything I can't figure out I'm sure BimmerGeeks will have no problem with solving it.

I'd like to give a big shout-out and thanks to BimmerGeeks for helping out with this, there really wasn't an easy way to get this software installed (until now) so I'm very appreciative of him sharing this information with us!!!!
Can you help? I'm getting scripting errors when trying to use Inpa.
I am using a HP laptop with Windows 10 Home 64 bit OS.
I have the BimmerGeeks cable and did everything (I think) as instructed in the download from them.
I am trying this on my 2007 Z4 with N52 engine.

-

1999 328i - 2002 X5 3.0i - 2007 Z4 3.0i...always in progress.....
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 01:40 PM   #140
jliffcones
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335D E90

Quote:
Hi all,

Here is a relatively simple way to get BMW tools installed on your machine regardless of what windows operating system you're running; it also works on 32 or 64 bit versions. I will tell you up front that this is not my method, but rather BimmerGeek's. Essentially all I've done here is learned his method and compiled some instructions on it. In case you were wondering, I did make this DIY with his permission. Also, this method seems to be very effective and simple, "Mike's Easy BMW Tools" didn't work for me at all, and some of the other methods seem quite involved just to simply install some software.

Included in this software package is INPA, BMW Coding Tool, Dr Gini, NCS Dummy, NCS Expert, Tool32 (EDIABAS), and WINKFP.

Continue at your own risk. I am not responsible in any way for any damage that occurs to your car as a result of this information and software.

The first thing you want to do is download the BimmerGeeks Standard Tools file from his website. The link is bimmergeeks.net/downloads, then click "BMW Standard Tools" and download the .zip file.

Once downloaded, expand the .zip file into a folder of your choosing. At this point you should have several .rar archive files and an executable file in that folder.

Next, select all the .rar files, right click, and chose extract here. We'll need them later.

The first thing you want to do here is run the executable, if you're installing o a newer version of windows you will have to run it in compatibility mode. To do this, right click the .exe -> properties -> compatibility -> "run this in windows 7 compatibility mode". Now you should get through the installer without any problem.

Next what you want to do is go into your C drive and remove several folders completely. Delete the EDIABAS, EC-APPS, and NCEXPER folders from your hard drive.

Now you want to replace them with the ones from the .rar files that we already extracted. Simply move the contents of all the .rar files except OCX into the C drive folder. You should now have folders labeled CODING TOOL, EC-APPS, EDIABAS, NCS_Dummy, and NCSEXPER in your C drive folder.

This is a convenient time to go in and create shortcuts for all the tools. They are listed as follows:
INPA:
C:\EC-APPS\INPA\BIN
Coding Tool:
C:\CodingTool
NCS Dummy:
C:\NCS_Dummy
NCS Expert:
C:\NCSEXPER\BIN
Dr Gini:
C:\EDIABAS\Bin
Tool32 (EDIABAS):
winKFP
C:\EC-APPS\NFS\BIN

Now it's time to deal with the OCX files. You want to move the three files into C:\windows\syswow64 or C:\windows\system32 for 32bit.

Next find your CMD prompt application, right click, and click "run as administrator. Run the following commands:

cd c:\windows\syswow64
(press enter)
regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx
(press enter)
regsvr32 msflxgrd.ocx
(press enter)
regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx

Now exit the command prompt. At this point your software should be functional. BimmerGeeks did some nice things on mine where he changed some icons and names to make it look better. He also put all the shortcuts in one folder on the desktop called BMW and added the BMW icon to it. I can put directions up on how to change icons if you need to know.

Let me know if you have any questions or if there are any steps that are incorrect or unclear. If there's anything I can't figure out I'm sure BimmerGeeks will have no problem with solving it.

I'd like to give a big shout-out and thanks to BimmerGeeks for helping out with this, there really wasn't an easy way to get this software installed (until now) so I'm very appreciative of him sharing this information with us!!!!
Hey I keep getting errors when trying to input the commands below:

(press enter)
regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx - The module failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary to dependent .DLL files
(press enter)
regsvr32 msflxgrd.ocx - worked successfully
(press enter)
regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx - The module failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary to dependent .DLL files

I followed the guide exactly and had no problems up to that point.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 11:39 PM   #141
downunderbmer
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320i 2007

Compatibility mode does not work

Quote:
Hi all,

The first thing you want to do is download the BimmerGeeks Standard Tools file from his website. The link is bimmergeeks.net/downloads, then click "BMW Standard Tools" and download the .zip file.

Once downloaded, expand the .zip file into a folder of your choosing. At this point you should have several .rar archive files and an executable file in that folder.

Next, select all the .rar files, right click, and chose extract here. We'll need them later.

The first thing you want to do here is run the executable, if you're installing o a newer version of windows you will have to run it in compatibility mode. To do this, right click the .exe -> properties -> compatibility -> "run this in windows 7 compatibility mode". Now you should get through the installer without any problem.

Next what you want to do is go into your C drive and remove several folders completely. Delete the EDIABAS, EC-APPS, and NCEXPER folders from your hard drive.

Now you want to replace them with the ones from the .rar files that we already extracted. Simply move the contents of all the .rar files except OCX into the C drive folder. You should now have folders labeled CODING TOOL, EC-APPS, EDIABAS, NCS_Dummy, and NCSEXPER in your C drive folder.

This is a convenient time to go in and create shortcuts for all the tools. They are listed as follows:
INPA:
C:\EC-APPS\INPA\BIN
Coding Tool:
C:\CodingTool
NCS Dummy:
C:\NCS_Dummy
NCS Expert:
C:\NCSEXPER\BIN
Dr Gini:
Tool32 (EDIABAS):
winKFP
C:\EC-APPS\NFS\BIN

Now it's time to deal with the OCX files. You want to move the three files into C:\windows\syswow64 or C:\windows\system32 for 32bit.

Next find your CMD prompt application, right click, and click "run as administrator. Run the following commands:

(press enter)
regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx
(press enter)
regsvr32 msflxgrd.ocx
(press enter)
regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx

Now exit the command prompt. At this point your software should be functional. BimmerGeeks did some nice things on mine where he changed some icons and names to make it look better. He also put all the shortcuts in one folder on the desktop called BMW and added the BMW icon to it. I can put directions up on how to change icons if you need to know.

Hi all,
I had Bimmergeeks software on my old laptop and used INPA and NCS Expert fairly well. However, the laptop crashed and I have now got a new one. It is Windows 10, 64 bit, x64 based processor Intel i3.
I have downloaded Bimmergeeks again, but this laptop does not allow the st212.exe file to run. When I right click properties, there is no option to "run in compatibility mode" either.
I'd appreciate your assistance with this. Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 12:02 PM   #142
Marcodian
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliffcones View Post
Hey I keep getting errors when trying to input the commands below:

(press enter)
regsvr32 mscomctl.ocx - The module failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary to dependent .DLL files
(press enter)
regsvr32 msflxgrd.ocx - worked successfully
(press enter)
regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx - The module failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary to dependent .DLL files

I followed the guide exactly and had no problems up to that point.
I had the same module failed to load when trying to do this step- \windows\syswow64 didn't work for me I had to use windows\syswow64\cmd.64
Then the next 3 lines worked
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 05:47 PM   #143
FisheyeMonkey
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Anyone seen this issue?

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 09:40 PM   #144
vitez180
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Cabrio

Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunderbmer View Post
Hi all,
I had Bimmergeeks software on my old laptop and used INPA and NCS Expert fairly well. However, the laptop crashed and I have now got a new one. It is Windows 10, 64 bit, x64 based processor Intel i3.
I have downloaded Bimmergeeks again, but this laptop does not allow the st212.exe file to run. When I right click properties, there is no option to "run in compatibility mode" either.
You need to unzip the whole folder, you can't install it through 7zip.
Close 7zip and right click the folder and extract.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 02:39 PM   #145
DavidPayne
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xdrive

Hi,
I've installed BM standard tools, I had Mike's easy tools before.

All is working well, but I cannot find ISTA+.

My problem is that even though INPA is working well, I cannot activate the disa's.

So I thought I'd try with ISTA, but I can't find it.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 05:47 PM   #146
CrazyOneToo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPayne View Post
Hi,
I've installed BM standard tools, I had Mike's easy tools before.

All is working well, but I cannot find ISTA+.

My problem is that even though INPA is working well, I cannot activate the disa's.

So I thought I'd try with ISTA, but I can't find it.

Thx
When I downloaded these, Ista was a separate download. I was able to use Inpa to activate my disas. Had to search a while to even find where the category was.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 06:30 PM   #147
DavidPayne
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyOneToo View Post
When I downloaded these, Ista was a separate download. I was able to use Inpa to activate my disas. Had to search a while to even find where the category was.

Thx,

I think they may have removed Ista.

When I get to the disa screen, both remain at 33%. I think it's f1 and f6 to open and close, shit+f1...for the 2nd disa.

I only have the small disa hooked up. I simply unhooked the 1st of the 2 cables from the 328 manifold and plugged it into the disa.

Next try I'll take a screen shot of inpa.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 07:42 PM   #148
CrazyOneToo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPayne View Post
Thx,

I think they may have removed Ista.

When I get to the disa screen, both remain at 33%. I think it's f1 and f6 to open and close, shit+f1...for the 2nd disa.

I only have the small disa hooked up. I simply unhooked the 1st of the 2 cables from the 328 manifold and plugged it into the disa.

Next try I'll take a screen shot of inpa.
I had to try it several times to get it to work on my Z4 with the N52 engine. I think the connection was the issue but not sure.

1999 328i - 2002 X5 3.0i - 2007 Z4 3.0i...always in progress.....
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2021, 11:25 AM   #149
greenmachine
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2014 M5

After installing all the tools and k-DCAN driver, I get this error when I choose INPA -> e90 -> Body -> FRM1 - "IFH009-NO REPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT". Any idea why? I do get the battery and ignition black dots.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 06:36 PM   #150
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
After installing all the tools and k-DCAN driver, I get this error when I choose INPA -> e90 -> Body -> FRM1 - "IFH009-NO REPONSE FROM CONTROLUNIT". Any idea why? I do get the battery and ignition black dots.
Might be another option, like FRM2, etc.. FRM1 might not be applicable to your car? Just a thought
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 10:08 AM   #151
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

diagnostic manual ista/inpa
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xo19teM9vkTF-C
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7x8H3pN8h1fMuF
https://bimmerprofs.com/diagnostics-inpa-part-1/
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...lkXEhlQYy4i9Nb
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-P-actually-do
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...1&d=1590283589
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...kBbC27TJLX3BGe
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...WekqhcC6hsgK2c
primary links
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1681573
https://www.nathansbmwworkshop.com/b...or-dean-videos
ista problems
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661945
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581663
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2021, 09:53 AM   #152
Snakedog116
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw E90 328 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunderbmer View Post
Hi all,
Hello,

I'm assuming that you aren't running it in the compressed folder, right?

Try right-clicking on the exe file, properties, there should be a compatibility tab there and changing that to Windows 7.
      09-02-2021, 10:02 AM   #153
Snakedog116
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw E90 328 2009

Hello,

I'm wanting to install this on my computer to do a full brake flush. I've never installed it before so thanks for your patience. I've watched multiple youtube videos and read through the instructions on this post and others.

First I tried the software that came with my cable, but the second menus in INPA are german and gives me a "Versions do not match. SGBD...." error. (the first menu is english, but as soon as you select the E90 option it goes into German.

I deleted that install and tried Mike's easy BMW tools and BimmerGeek's easy BMW Tools.

BimmerGeek's was still German in the second menu (not sure if that's a leftover from my original install or a limitation of BimmerGeek's version of INPA?)

Mike's seemed to work (English), but both still gave me the SGBD version error.

It says INPA is version 6.000 and the other SGDB Version is 21.000 (INPA is version 4.020)

I've now completely wiped my windows install and I'm wondering if I should be installing Bimmergeek, or Mike's easy install?

I'm leaning towards Mike's so that the menus are engligh and then I assume that I need to update the SGBD using Bimmergeek's files? (E89 is equivalent to my E90, and that's like 4.5GB?, is that the right file?)
      09-02-2021, 01:51 PM   #154
J0K3R5
Lieutenant
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: BMW

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApTXN2OB77W_iaQ8...12O1g?e=ylheRa

above link has the latest version of BMW Tools

Last edited by J0K3R5; 09-02-2021 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
Ridu0.00