Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > TPMS - Very Confused - Researched

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-22-2017, 12:22 AM   #1
MrBEEF
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 Dinan

TPMS - Very Confused - Researched

Hey,

So I am just confused with reading several posted here + what the tires dood at Costco told me.

Car: 2007 335i, N54, stock wheels, luxury package (w/e, 7-spokes, 17").

- Replaced tires, TPMS sensors were not reset. resent them at home, wouldn't work, went back to costco, asked them if they put them back in, he said "these cars do not have any, they use wheel rotation" fair enough looked it up and I guess it's true. Tried and tried to reset it, it didn't work. One day it just went away. 2 weeks later TPMS just said I had a flat, but I didn't. Still do not, yet the car keeps telling me I do.

I see people using TPMS sensors here on the forum , if I search on google, I can see pics of E90 TPMS sensors. I can confirm in searching this forum these cars do not have sensors. I read another post with someone posting this system has a lifespan wtf is this BS?

Dood, what is going on? how the F do I get this BS go work again? Is there something wrong or is there a dysfunctional part somewhere?

Does anyone have a problem like this?

I have never had a car with more electrical problems.

Thanks,
-P
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 02:41 AM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBEEF View Post

- Replaced tires, TPMS sensors were not reset. resent them at home, wouldn't work, went back to costco, asked them if they put them back in, he said "these cars do not have any, they use wheel rotation" fair enough looked it up and I guess it's true. Tried and tried to reset it, it didn't work. One day it just went away. 2 weeks later TPMS just said I had a flat, but I didn't. Still do not, yet the car keeps telling me I do.

I see people using TPMS sensors here on the forum , if I search on google, I can see pics of E90 TPMS sensors. I can confirm in searching this forum these cars do not have sensors. I read another post with someone posting this system has a lifespan wtf is this BS?
TPMS sensors have a battery in them. Usual lifetime is 6-8 years; the batteries are not replaceable and you have to buy new sensors. I thought 2006 E9x were the only year that used rotational differences (sensed via the ABS system), but it's possible that some 2007 do, too.

Since you didn't say Costco dudes complained about non-standard fittings, I'm assuming that you have 225/45R17 tires at each position. You say you don't have a flat - RFT tires can't be judged "flat" by just looking at them; have you actually checked with a pressure gauge?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
MrBEEF
Private
Rep

Tires gauged, been driving on them for months.

The back aren't even run flats, I switched to Super Sports, I have had the problem for months, thousands of miles on these tires in this condition.

car is a 2007 335i sedan. Does this car have sensors in the tires or use this other magical process of mathematics?

I have the Bentley manual and it doesn't say S#!T, I checked last night, which is not the greatest manual by the way, barely gives you part #'s on anything.

Any help would be great, thanks everyone,
-P
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 02:04 AM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Tires gauged, been driving on them for months.

The back aren't even run flats, I switched to Super Sports, I have had the problem for months, thousands of miles on these tires in this condition.
Good.

I suspect the RFT front/go-flat rear is part of the problem: the sidewalls, which contribute to the diameter of the tire especially under load, have much different flex patterns. You should not (almost every tire shop, certainly Costco at my home) says you never should mix RFT and go-flat.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #5
MrBEEF
Private
Rep

Hi floydarogers

Yeah I have continental RFTs in the front, and super sports in the back. They did recommend against this but I thought it was a sales move.

My logic was I wanted the spot in the back for traction, yet safety for steering in case of a blow-out for my wife/kid.

For the records, I will just go back to run flats I guess, I don't drive crazy much anymore.

Does anyone fully understand the TPMS systems on these cars? why doesn't the POS Bentley manual explain this crap?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 03:23 PM   #6
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Are you sure you are using the reset procedure?

Mine is a 2007 and I have rotational monitoring as opposed to actual sensors in the wheel.

System works in conjunction with abs and DTC unit to monitor wheel drag.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
MrBEEF
Private
Rep

yeah I do,

I have read that you hold the button down, but on mine you just press it, and it just waits for a few seconds to reset, but it just comes up as same thing ... flat.

I have checked pressure, even over filled tried, went back to extra ... tried a different pressure gauge just in case the one I used was poor.

It all started after going to costco, and changed the rears to a new set of super sports (previous rears were super sports), before then it worked fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 11:09 PM   #8
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
yeah I do,

I have read that you hold the button down, but on mine you just press it, and it just waits for a few seconds to reset, but it just comes up as same thing ... flat.

I have checked pressure, even over filled tried, went back to extra ... tried a different pressure gauge just in case the one I used was poor.

It all started after going to costco, and changed the rears to a new set of super sports (previous rears were super sports), before then it worked fine.
You have to hold it down until checkmark appears.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 12:10 AM   #9
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
and then drive.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3352340.50
      10-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #10
MrBEEF
Private
Rep

That is not how mine works.

In the past, when it did work, holding it down didn't do anything more than holding it down. The button was latched, a simple pressed of the button started the reset process which took about 5-10 seconds, which I'd get the check mark.

Now I don't get it, and it just goes back and shows me the flat tires symbol.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 07:00 PM   #11
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Just run your vin on bmwarchive...
2VB Tyre Pressure Indicator

Thats tpms
      10-26-2017, 04:15 PM   #12
MrBEEF
Private
Rep

yo man thanks a lot!

I am going to check this out when I get home, I'll report back and document all of my findings to help others searching here,
-P
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 05:52 PM   #13
Laguna Seca Blue
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 E92 | N55 F15 | N55 E70

MrBEEF, sounds like the Tire Technician at Costco messed up and didn't put the TPMS sensors back in. As far as i'm aware ALL 2007 model year BMW's have the system installed. They become mandatory in September 2007 per NHSTA regulations.

However, just in case it's something else, what FRM module code are you getting? Let me know if you don't know how to check, and I'll explain. I had the same thing happen to me after a flat repair at Costco a couple of years ago and still haven't gotten to the bottom of it.

Early TPMS systems were overly complicated and there are too many moving parts. Have a look at this thread, it may help you get started if you simply have a cut antenna or something...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...8#post22351628
PROcede Rev3 V5 | AE Quad Exhaust | BMW Performance Short Shift Kit | Gunmetal 19" M3 GTS Wheels | BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 | AST 4100 Coilovers | Swift Springs F:280 R:560 | ER Charge Pipe | Tial Blue BOV | VRSF 3" Downpipes | VRSF 7" Intercooler

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782212
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #14
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
yo man thanks a lot!

I am going to check this out when I get home, I'll report back and document all of my findings to help others searching here,
-P
What you find , mr. beef?
      09-18-2018, 11:00 PM   #15
Iceman2007
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Convertible E93

Any new findings on this issue?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 12:51 AM   #16
pizza_nightmare
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Quote:
yeah I do,

I have read that you hold the button down, but on mine you just press it, and it just waits for a few seconds to reset...

What is "the button" and held down until the check mark appears ?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 07:00 AM   #17
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Hey,

So I am just confused with reading several posted here + what the tires dood at Costco told me.

Dood, what is going on? how the F do I get this BS go work again? Is there something wrong or is there a dysfunctional part somewhere?

Does anyone have a problem like this?

I have never had a car with more electrical problems.

Thanks,
-P
In USA they use TPMS. In Canada we don't and it is based on wheel rotation and ABS sensor.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 09:41 PM   #18
Bobcat102
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535I 2010

Is the coding the same for the 2010 535I E60
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 08:45 PM   #19
Bobcat102
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535I 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat102 View Post
Is the coding the same for the 2010 535I E60
I was able to code using the same info. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 03:26 PM   #20
Wxman22
Registered
Rep
Drives: Jeep GC Overland

Quote:
Hi floydarogers

Yeah I have continental RFTs in the front, and super sports in the back. They did recommend against this but I thought it was a sales move.

My logic was I wanted the spot in the back for traction, yet safety for steering in case of a blow-out for my wife/kid.

For the records, I will just go back to run flats I guess, I don't drive crazy much anymore.

Does anyone fully understand the TPMS systems on these cars? why doesn't the POS Bentley manual explain this crap?
I know you're long gone on this thread, but for anyone else reading this, having different tires on the axles is inherently more dangerous, not more safe.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 10:21 PM   #21
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxman22 View Post
I know you're long gone on this thread, but for anyone else reading this, having different tires on the axles is inherently more dangerous, not more safe.
Yeah especially if they have different performance and behavior characteristics.

Though my summer set up is Michelin pilot 4s front and Continental extreme contact rear. Those are very similar. Will do 4s all round when they wear out.
Koni special active red, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit. Silicon intake pipe. M3 control arms front, M3 rear. ECS trailing arm with whiteline bushings. Purple powerflex subframe bushings. Yellow power flex upper shock mounts. Single mass flywheel OE weight.
Appreciate 0