E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Back pain in new car

09-20-2011, 03:06 AM   #23
snerkler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 x30d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcampbell View Post
What was his course of treatment?
Spinal manipulation, trigger point therapy, deep soft tissue massage and postural advice.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #24
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Thanks all some good replies there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetennis View Post
Most back pain is caused by poor abdominal condition.
I'm not saying you are flabby in the mid section cus I don't know you! But even seemingly fit people can have weaker abs. Try a few sit ups and leg raises before bed, even just tensioning your abs while you drive can stimulate them to work for you better.
Actually you probably hit the nail on the head. I'm about 17 stone (but on a diet at the mo ) and cant remember the last time I did any stomach exercises!! Still doesnt account why I never have a problem in any other car I go in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny.B. View Post
Nice one mate, let us know how you get on, could help alot of people out by the looks of it!
Will do , looking forward to giving it a go - sounds a useful bit of kit and well
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #25
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
Spinal manipulation, trigger point therapy, deep soft tissue massage and postural advice.
Sounds like I could with a bit of that.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #26
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

So the CG lock arrived yesterday - seems a good bit of kit. Holds you in the seat well so you can concentrate on cornering. A bit too early to tell if it will improve my back ache problem but time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #27
stuartfung
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F39 X2 20d M Sport XDrive

Hi there, did the cg lock help your backache?
I've been suffering from power back pain too and my chiropractor had advised me to recline the seat and use a Mackenzie roll to support the back. Lower pain almost gone after a few weeks.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 12:54 AM   #28
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

You have to sit really straight up and high for the best support. I stole one of those airplane cusion and put it on the lower back where i find the least support and now i get a really comfy seat.

You also get the werid question of passager sayibg why u have a ba cusion from the plane lol

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #29
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansBlue330d View Post
Hi there, did the cg lock help your backache?
I've been suffering from power back pain too and my chiropractor had advised me to recline the seat and use a Mackenzie roll to support the back. Lower pain almost gone after a few weeks.
Hi mate. No it didnt help the back pain in my case. Great device and holds you in the seat well - but didnt cure it.
What did cure it for me is a cushion I put behind my back. I tried that and the pain went away after a few days. I can now go on long journeys and have no pain whatsoever whereas before I was getting pain after 10 mins of driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 02:02 AM   #30
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
The biggest problem most people have is that they tilt the seat base so the knees are higher than the hips - this forces the body into an unnatural position.

Start with the seat base as close to level as you can get it, and adjust everything else around it:
  • Slide seat forwards/backwards so that when the clutch pedal is fully depressed, your knee is not quite locked.
  • Seat height is purely personal preference - personally I like to be able to see over the top of the steering wheel, some people obviously don't
  • Seat back tilted so that with your shoulders still in contact with the seat you can hold the top of the steering wheel, with your elbows slightly bent.
  • Squab adjusted to support as much of your thighs as possible, without hitting the back of your knees.
      08-06-2018, 05:25 PM   #31
ship4u
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Hi mate. No it didnt help the back pain in my case. Great device and holds you in the seat well - but didnt cure it.
What did cure it for me is a cushion I put behind my back. I tried that and the pain went away after a few days. I can now go on long journeys and have no pain whatsoever whereas before I was getting pain after 10 mins of driving.
Can you please explain what type of cushion you used and exactly where you placed the cushion to relieve your back pain? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #32
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ship4u View Post
Can you please explain what type of cushion you used and exactly where you placed the cushion to relieve your back pain? Thanks!
6 years ago,.....