E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Steering issue, extremely light resistance / lack thereof

06-13-2022, 04:45 PM   #23
335boston
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnin'Rich View Post
You're talking about turning the big nut on the rack right?
That will wind the pinion tighter towards the rack gear. People do this to get rid of slop on centre because at centre the rack is worn. They then find the rack binds off-centre because there's less wear.
There is a spring behind the nut so I guess that's why it's pre-load.
I found that having more caster makes the steering weight up off-centre when my e36 sport Avus suspension has eccentric control arm lollipop bushings. It also made it follow tramline into grooves in the highway
Hey yup that's the but I was talking about , speaking of caster , I was told by a mechanic that my issue sounds caster related , but from what I know of the e92 caster is not adjustable or changeable in anyway unless I buy caster plates . Is there any one of my mods that would have negatively effected my caster ?

Dinan lowering spring
Eibach sway bar with white line adjustable links
Bilstein struts
M3 upper and lower arms
Recent alignment with negative camber up front

Also replaced the rack and the steering shaft with new tie rods
On Michelin 4s tires

Just drove my brothers 99 m3 and his wheel felt so much better I was jealous , his m3 is bone stock on crappy all seasons too
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 12:52 AM   #24
335boston
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Wanted to do a fast update . Called every shop and most shops seemed sketchy (just trying to get my money) or were booking out for the next month or so. Did talk to a reasonable mechanic and as I talked him through what I had done he suggested 2 things , first replace the sway bar links to stock. Did so , and the handling of the car actually increased 10 fold but at speed it still feels light to me . With this helping I went ahead and looked up tire pressure and found out our cars are very sensitive to changes / having the right one . So I increased the front to 37 psi from 32 and it did minutely help, I think I'll increase the fronts to 39 and the rears to 37 this week and see if helps .

I will say now it seems to be more of an issue with speed and the lightness is extremely bad for the first 20 degrees of turn then gets a little stiffer as speed increases . After talking to that mechanic he really said if everything mechanical checked out theres not much to do other than to get another alignment .

I will say I do have some clunking noises from the front but I read the m3 arms do that? I have one especially when engaging first gear or coming to a stop abruptly . If anyone is still reading this and has any more input I am all ears!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 04:07 PM   #25
335boston
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Update : found this noise at a stop? This sounds like a bad rack but it's from fcp?

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 04:51 PM   #26
mainbearing
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

FCP has lifetime replacement warranty. I would say USE IT, after confirming it is the rack. I do not buy from FCP because I am not sure the kind of parts they send out, there was a discussion on this. Many members like them however. YMMV.

Start with post 22 here: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1845904

Here is your continuation thread on possible bad rack: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1935164
Appreciate 0