E90Post

ECS BMW

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > cant do anything with NFRM

02-12-2020, 06:29 PM   #1
LiNkx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i XDrive sedan

Garage List
went to read the nfrm in ncsexpert to change my drl to angel eyes and it gave me an error when trying to read. tried to code to default with blank man file and got the same error. went to inpa and tried to access it to read error memory and got the error in the attached picture. cleared out all error memory from all modules and tried to again access the nfrm individually but still the same error. Am I just screwed and need to get the module repaired? I have no idea why this would have happened. the only thing I've done is add a factory alarm through the cas and it works fine. I dont have any dash warnings or anything not working correctly just cant do anything with the nfrm. no other coding as far as I'm aware. got the car with 64k miles. it's a 2009 328i xdrive.[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 12:17 AM   #2
sdbmwcoding
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Do the turn signals work? Windows? Mirrors? Sounds like your frm bricked
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 01:01 AM   #3
LiNkx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
yea everything is functioning fine, no issues with anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:14 AM   #4
sdbmwcoding
Lieutenant
Rep

Strange, if all functions are working then the frm is still functioning properly. Do you have ista? Go ahead and scan the car and post a picture of the control tree and codes. Could be JBE issue but if that's the case then you wouldn't be able to access any modules. Can you read all modules in ncs expert?

Also try updating datens and try reading nfrm with car running.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 02:50 AM   #5
Diawal91
Private
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
Strange, if all functions are working then the frm is still functioning properly. Do you have ista? Go ahead and scan the car and post a picture of the control tree and codes. Could be JBE issue but if that's the case then you wouldn't be able to access any modules. Can you read all modules in ncs expert?

Also try updating datens and try reading nfrm with car running.
+1

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #6
coleybmw335
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335I DCT

You may need to update your daten files.

or the changes you have done with the CAS module may stop you reading the another module, Did you save the original CAS file before you change it, Change it back to how it was, Then try reading the NFRM module.

I have coded before on a module & it stopped me reading another module.

I doubt you have broken the NFRM module if all functions work ok.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 10:51 PM   #7
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i (2007 e92) 6MT

Are you sure you have an NFRM (FRM2)? I think the 2009 cars may come with FRM3, might have a different module name.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 11:29 PM   #8
sdbmwcoding
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaxData View Post
Are you sure you have an NFRM (FRM2)? I think the 2009 cars may come with FRM3, might have a different module name.
Nfrm is frm2 and frm3 in ncs expert. Same options to choose for either 2 or 3 when choosing ecu. FRM is for frm1
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #9
FaxData
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i (2007 e92) 6MT

Ahh gotcha, thanks for the clarification!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 06:30 PM   #10
bimmerfan1972
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Yeah, doesn't sound like it's bricked. I would try reading from other modules, make sure INPA shows connected.
      02-14-2020, 08:38 PM   #11
Joe@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 335i M Sport

Will NCS run the SG_RESET job on it? Does it show up in INPA when looking at the UIF or Identification screen?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 12:04 AM   #12
LiNkx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
sorry, still new to this and I thought the app would notify my phone lol. was looking around and saw the newest daten files v54 are in german metric, should the v50 files work? I can still communicate with my cas and other modules the nfrm is the only one giving me any issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 12:07 AM   #13
LiNkx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TopGearSolutions View Post
Will NCS run the SG_RESET job on it? Does it show up in INPA when looking at the UIF or Identification screen?
I'm not sure, I'll check that out tomorrow and report back. does that rewrite a module to factory based on the vo?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 12:13 AM   #14
LiNkx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by coleybmw335 View Post
You may need to update your daten files.

or the changes you have done with the CAS module may stop you reading the another module, Did you save the original CAS file before you change it, Change it back to how it was, Then try reading the NFRM module.

I have coded before on a module & it stopped me reading another module.

I doubt you have broken the NFRM module if all functions work ok.
the only change I did to the cas was adding +K302 to the VO for the factory alarm then made the necessary changes in the dwai for it. I didnt make a copy since I kept seeing everyone say rewriting it with an empty man file would do the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 11:28 AM   #15
coleybmw335
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335I DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiNkx View Post
the only change I did to the cas was adding +K302 to the VO for the factory alarm then made the necessary changes in the dwai for it. I didnt make a copy since I kept seeing everyone say rewriting it with an empty man file would do the same thing.
With NCS expert did you pick the correct nfrm module as there is a few ending in different numbers?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 07:31 PM   #16
LiNkx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
this is what I'm getting from ncs expert when trying to read ecu after choosing nfrm [IMG]undefined[/IMG] and this is what I get with any other job it did let me do sg_reset but it's still giving me these errors after doing it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 07:35 PM   #17
sdbmwcoding
Lieutenant
Rep

Your first picture is not loading. Do you have ISTA? Scan the car and post up the control module tree and codes. Also go to device manager and make sure com port is 1 and latency is 1.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #18
LiNkx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Your first picture is not loading. Do you have ISTA? Scan the car and post up the control module tree and codes. Also go to device manager and make sure com port is 1 and latency is 1.
man your the best! I dont have ista, double checked and my latency changed to 16 somehow, I set it back to 1 again and it worked! was able to read nfrm. not sure why it changed back to 16 I definitely had set it to 1 when I first set everything up. as far as ista I'm pretty much clueless, any tips/links?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 10:21 PM   #19
sdbmwcoding
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
man your the best! I dont have ista, double checked and my latency changed to 16 somehow, I set it back to 1 again and it worked! was able to read nfrm. not sure why it changed back to 16 I definitely had set it to 1 when I first set everything up. as far as ista I'm pretty much clueless, any tips/links?
Glad you got it working 🤟🏽 for ista go to the link below and download "rheinghold". The download will come with install instructions that are very simple.

Bimmergeeks.net/downloads
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 11:40 PM   #20
LiNkx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Glad you got it working for ista go to the link below and download "rheinghold". The download will come with install instructions that are very simple.

cool thanks for all your help (and everyone else as well) I've been trying to disable my amber lights in my headlights but it's been tough since I have a 2009 lci with halogen headlights. I found one forum post that showed the code lines but they all said the stock value was wert03 and needed to be changed to wert04 but when I looked mine were at wert1, i tried to set them to wert04 anyway but it didnt work my amber lights were still on. the lines in the nfrm were pwm_sl_v, pwm_sl_v_bei_aktiven_al, and pwm_sl_v_bei_aktiven_fl
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 11:54 PM   #21
sdbmwcoding
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Glad you got it working for ista go to the link below and download "rheinghold". The download will come with install instructions that are very simple.

cool thanks for all your help (and everyone else as well) I've been trying to disable my amber lights in my headlights but it's been tough since I have a 2009 lci with halogen headlights. I found one forum post that showed the code lines but they all said the stock value was wert03 and needed to be changed to wert04 but when I looked mine were at wert1, i tried to set them to wert04 anyway but it didnt work my amber lights were still on. the lines in the nfrm were pwm_sl_v, pwm_sl_v_bei_aktiven_al, and pwm_sl_v_bei_aktiven_fl
Set sidemarker_us_nfrm to nicht aktiv too and PO_rl_fkt_mit_sl_v to nicht aktiv.

Pwm_sl_v_bei_antiven_al/fl changed to wert_04 is also correct
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2020, 12:53 AM   #22
LiNkx
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Set sidemarker_us_nfrm to nicht aktiv too and PO_rl_fkt_mit_sl_v to nicht aktiv.

Pwm_sl_v_bei_antiven_al/fl changed to wert_04 is also correct
cool I'll give it a try tomorrow. when I did it before it turned off my angel eyes completely regardless of where I had the switch set. so should I set pwm_sl_v_bei_aktiven_fl/al to wert04 and just leave pwm_sl_v set to wert01? also I didnt have PO_rl_fkt_mit_sl_v exactly, it was something similar but was already set to nitch_active.
Appreciate 0